What's new

Metropolis (1927) Petition! (1 Viewer)

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
Read all about it and sign it.
Alot of dvd collections will never be complete until there's a decent version of Fritz Lang's masterwork available for purchase.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
While I have signed, it should be noted that the petition is for the (tinted) Moroder-version, and NOT the original cut.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I've actually talked recently with silent film restorer/expert David Shepard about Metropolis. He said that in fact Metropolis is still under copyright in Germany and has never been authorized for a US DVD release. Apparently the Madacy and other junk-brand versions out there are in all likelihood illegal bootlegs. There is a nice R2 DVD of the recent German restoration that comes close to being a complete version of the film. I think it was reviewed by DVD savant awhile back. No word on when, if ever, a real US release will come.

- Guy

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm sorry, I couldn't sign a petition for the Moroder version. It is nowhere near being the full-length version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Me too. Can't sign it!

I've seen frames from the digitally restored version and it's beautiful.

Moroder's version may be ok, but he had no right to re-edit the film like he did.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I appreciate the intention but Moroder's version -- which I DO own on LD -- is NOT a decent version of Metropolis.

I would recommend NOT signing this petition since any release of Metropolis that is not the latest restoration might muddy the water for an American release of that more complete and visually rich version.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
i personally love the Moroder version

I think that it should be available as well as the german restoration

The US rights for that are with Kino (since I tried to get a company I do things with to release that version and they told me that they wanted to but cant cause Kino signed a deal already apparantly)

so this will be coming out at some point - the german restoration isnt even totally finished yet so i am assuming they are waiting for that to do the DVD

the moroder version would be tied up in a nightmare of music rights, and since it isnt a studio film, they will probably never be sorted out

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks