-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Tcm Shows A Movie In Pan And Scan Noooooo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Ryan L B

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted March 17 2002 - 10:20 AM

They used to be my favorite untill I saw Around the World in 80 days in 1:33 pan and scam insted of 2:35. I saw this movie in its oar in dec or jan. Why did they flip back. Are there any other movies that TCM shows in pan and Scam.

#2 of 5 AdrianJ

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted March 17 2002 - 12:36 PM

I think this thread will explain, if not excuse, why it is shown in P&S.

http://www.hometheat....ound the world

It seems like all the footage isn't available in letterbox.
Adrian Jones

#3 of 5 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 09:48 AM

One thing that TCM has done is that it has shown two classic MGM musicals, "Brigadoon" and "Seven Brides.." in the 1.85:1 versions. The films were released in the U.S. in Cinemascope and originally in Europe in the "flat" versions. They're not pan and scan but separately photographed, mostly similtaneously with the widescreen shooting, but with some scenes shot at a different time (primarily the musical numbers). I had always hoped that MGM, then WB would have released these two with both versions on DVD.

#4 of 5 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted March 18 2002 - 12:58 PM

There was a 2-disc laserdisc set with both versions of "Seven Brides", but looks like the DVD only has the Scope version.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 5 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,370 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 19 2002 - 08:19 AM

TCM is not perfect, but it's the best alternative, film buffs have for watching classic films in their OAR.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule