What's new

My SVS driver swap... (1 Viewer)

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well after misssing the UPS truck then driving to the dispatch center after work (45 min each way) and waiting there for an hour I finally got my hands on the SVS ISD (Improved Standard Driver). The swap was taking place in my 20-39PC.
The box contained a set of instructions just like Link Removed, a set of 3 foam feet and of course the driver.
The first thing I noticed was that the new driver was heavy - once I compared it to the new driver it did seem to be a bit heavier... (bigger is better - right?) The next thing I noticed was that there was no black plastic cover on the back of the sub - I was expecting this from the early "beta" reviews...
I did have some problems removing the old foam feet - mine were on there good and I managed to peel off some surrounding finish around two of the screw holes!:angry: I tried to be careful - especially after the first one but it still pulled up some of the finish. It's on the bottom and the new feat covered the damage up... I still know it's there though...
Once I got to the driver I removed the old one with a cordless drill- disconnected the speaker cable - peaked around inside - reconnected the speaker cable to the new driver - then put the screws back in by hand. Finally the base plate and foam feat went back on.
All told it took about 5 minutes - it's that easy. If you own a screwdriver you can do this.
Oh, I learned that if you own a pet and lay the SVS on it's side it will some up with a lot of hair on it - so those with pets run the vacuum first and buy one of those double-backed tape rollers!
I was expecting new bolts for the legs as quoted by Ron in the original thread about the upgrade - "new custom made black plated phillips drive leg bolts". I don't know what difference it would make but I was expecting them in the box.
Unfortunately my daughter had just went to bed when I got everything back in place so I haven't had a chance to really try the new driver out... I did watch about 5 minutes of the Matrix at moderate volumes and I can say that there is something different going on. My first thoughts were that the lows seemed lower and the bass seemed cleaner. I haven't even recalibratd yet so I'll wait and see before I make any firm comments...

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
Jantzen, the e-mail says mine arrives Monday. (I sure wouldn't have wanted to spend the weekend with the new driver, now would I??):angry:
Thanks for the heads up on the feet and the finish. Looks like a take your time and do it right job that is still quick and easy!:emoji_thumbsup:
Enjoy! I'll be cranking up my 16-46PC proudly known as old #27!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jantzen,

Looking forward to your impressions of the driver after you calibrate things and run up some familiar demos.

Due to an oversight on our part, we left the new black finished leg bolts out. Many folks already have them (they were a small improvement we introduced several months ago). Anyone that wants them and didn't already get black bolts can e-mail us.

The older type leg bolts were silver plated and slotted instead of philips head. It's a small thing but we offered them on the website so if you need/want them it's on us. So if your bolts are black you have the latest type, if your bolts are silver, then you have the option of having us send them to you.

Just drop us a note with your full name so we can dig out your address too.

Sorry for the omission.

Ron

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I know you guys hear this all the time, but your last post shows how much you guys actually CARE about your customers. Too bad "Corporate America" didn't treat their customers this way.

Thanks for bing the best company out there (and you sell a great product too!)

Dave

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
From all us SV owners, thanks! I just put my order in for 2 new drivers (order 2851) and could you please include the black leg bolts with my order. ;) Thanks, and how close will this upgrade bring me to the new CS+'s?
Mike

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mike,

Closer. The Plus line uses a more powerful driver and three 3" ports so it's got the advantage coming and going.

You certainly closed the gap in performance by half or so. Hard to make general comparisons since so much depends on listening levels and the type bass involved.

Ron

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Okay, I guess, but I have such great bass now I can't wait to put the new drivers in. I just emailed you with the same question so if you read this before my email you don't have to email me back.

Mike

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Too late. Read this second.

Just to reiterate, the new CS driver is NOT the same as the Plus driver. The CS/PCi driver is the ISD or improved standard driver. The Plus driver is a whole different animal and doesn't fit the standard CS/PCi enclosure.

Ron

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well got the sub re-calibrated and ran through the normal demo materials and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!
I was beyond pleased with the changes I noticed with the new driver - most notably was even "cleaner" bass and the ability for the new driver to go low and loud with ease...
I noticed slightly "cleaner" bass with music - the sub just seems totally transparent now in 2-channel music listening. As for the low end - let's just say that I used to sit with my hand on the "vol-" button when the Phantom Menance opening THX sequence came on - now I just sit back and smile when that ball explodes. I don't know why but for some reason the new driver makes this seem very effortless - I even cranked it up beyond normal listening levels (for me anyways) and the new driver still had no problems. I never did have problems with the old driver it just gave me a sense that it was being pushed to its limits where the new driver seems to have more headroom to play with. Maybe it's because I actually held this beast of a driver in my hands and felt that it could take the abuse!
I thought my mind was playing tricks on me at first - you know I spent money so it has to sound better... but the more I listened to familiar music and movie scenes I became convinced - the new driver did take my SVS up a notch.
The thing that finally convinced me is that Tom/Ron would not have offered such an upgrade if they did not feel it would enhance our SVS's...
As for the new bolts for the legs - I'm fine without them - unless there is some advantage beyond using a phillips head exclusively the next time I go inside the SVS (which won't be until the next driver upgrade :) ).
The only question I have is what is the procedure for returning the old driver? Contact SVS and get an RMA? I have one person that may be interested but it is most likely going back for the rebate...
Thanks SVS!!!

Everett A

Agent
Thanks for the review! I've been waiting to see what the feedback on this swap is...

In my situation (in a condo) I pretty much listen to movies at 8 decibels UNDER reference at the loudest. I have the vintage 20-39 cs (w/ samson s700). Would it be much of a difference for me? At lower levels, is the quality of the bass that much better?

Thanks!

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Everett -

Like you I do almost all of my listening about -10 from reference and I can definitely notice a difference having the slightly "cleaner" bass with the newer (ISD) driver.

As for the seemingly extra headroom when listening closer to reference - it is nice to have that cushion when you have some people over and really want to WOW them...

These are just my unscientific takes on the changes I noticed with the driver... I'm waiting to hear what others say once they get their drivers - maybe they'll all complain of not hearing a difference - all I know is I did. I'm sure a few will feel the difference is negligible but I think that most will be more than happy with their choice to upgrade to the new driver. I know I am.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>The thing that finally convinced me is that Tom/Ron would not have offered such an upgrade if they did not feel it would enhance our SVS's...

Chris_B

Grip
I just installed the new driver. It was very easy and took about 10 minutes. I would echo the "cleaner" bass comments. I only listened for around 10 minutes to some demo material, but the base seamed much tighter with greater impact. This upgrade/tweek is a no brainer. An already excellent product is yet again improved. SVS is truely a great company for offering this upgrade.

Chriss M

Second Unit
i also just installed mine (took 10 minutes), and in my room there is a definite increase in headroom of 5-6 db's before bottoming, tested with the phantom menace thx intro.

Walt N

Second Unit
Curse UPS! I only got one of two today. Well, that's OK, it's a beautiful piece so I'm just enjoy looking at it until the other arrives.:)
I too am impressed by SVS for making this available to us at such a reasonable price. Way to go guys, you are a model to which all new internet based companies should aspire.

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the reviews! I just ordered mine today. Order #2903. Think I'll have mine by Christmas? :)

ChrisB

Stunt Coordinator
Earl-

I ordered mine last Thursday-Friday(cant remember) and got my shipping notice today!!! Will be here Wendsday!!! I also ordered a wall plaqe and a tee shirt. I hope there dosnt have to be someone here to sign for it, if so I will take the day off(just need a excuse)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks