What's new

Why short run tv shows could be a money maker for studios on dvd.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The problem with putting shows on dvd is usually syndication issues. Studios make more money on syndication than on a dvd release. The problem is that their are a lot of show that are not in syndication or are but only in some locations. Granted a show like CSI will definitely make a ton of money in syndication. But, take a show like "Space: Above & Beyond" which is on syndication sometimes on scifi channel. I cannot see a show that is on once in awhile or not at all making a lot of money for a studio. Now I have no idea how much it costs to produce a dvd. But, most people would be happy getting a hard to find tv show that has a clear picture and sound. Even if it is bare bones. You can't tell me that a their wouldn't be at least 15,000 people in the US alone that would buy a season set of any show if the price is reasonable. If they make $20.00 a season on a show that is over $300,000 dollars. Not bad for a show that is sitting in a vault collecting dust. The ideal would be for the studios to release shows that are not popular in syndication. But, that have a fan base. Which is not hard if you ever look on the net and find web sites for almost any show. I know people are going to chime in and say it is more complicated than that. Maybe it is. But, if a studio can make money on something that isn't. Wouldn't it be worth it to take a second look at. Look at how popular the season sets of X-Files, Simpsons and MASH have been. And these shows are constantly on in syndication.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Todd -

You have an excellent idea. There are many shows I remember from the late 70's and early 80's that I would buy in a heart beat if they were on DVD. Many of the shows only lasted a season or two at the most.

A MAN CALLED SLOANE, STRIKEFORCE, and even more recent shows like HERMAN'S HEAD.

i would go broke if they started releasing these.

Matt

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Studios figured out long ago that films which did badly at the box office often make up the difference on video. It's time to apply the same thinking to failed TV shows. Great idea, Todd!

M.

Tony Carter

Auditioning
Action with Jay Mohr would be a prime candidate. I thought the show was great in it's early stages. Unfortunately I don't think it had the material to last several seasons.
There are a lot of cases where a TV show (or Saturday Night Live skit) is made into a movie, but doesn't really work. But I think Action would have made a better movie than it did a TV show.
I would pick it up on DVD.
TC

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Good Lord, what I wouldn't give for the complete season of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. on DVD. Would anyone else be interested in this? Maybe I should start a petition!

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
There are several short-run TV series' that I would love to have the entire run of on DVD:
Police Squad!
Sledge Hammer
Get A Life
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
OK - the last one is primarily because of my childhood crush on Deidre Hall... :)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The show I want to see on DVD more than any other is American Gothic, the terrific 1995-6 series starring Gary Cole. The show still has a loyal cult following, and would make a perfect DVD box set. The key cast and crew members were justifiably very proud of this show, and I'm sure they could be persuaded to contribute commentaries, etc.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
How about "The Flash"? I was overseas during its short initial run and got a taste of it from the pilot when it was released on LD. Same can be said for most of "Space: Above and Beyond". You can't make money if it just sits on the shelf.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, most people would be happy getting a hard to find tv show that has a clear picture and sound. Even if it is bare bones. You can't tell me that a their wouldn't be at least 15,000 people in the US alone that would buy a season set of any show if the price is reasonable. If they make $20.00 a season on a show that is over $300,000 dollars.
Well, that 15,000 number might be optimistic, especially if we're talking about something that had a full season - "Brisco County Junior", for example, had a 2-hour pilot and 26 hour-long episodes; that's 7 DVD-9s before the hypothetical "extras" disc. I would be willing to pay $150 for that, but I don't know about 14,999 other people. It sort of becomes a big-ticket item if the shows are hour-longs and/or had a non-trivial run.

Anyone know sales numbers/margins on "Kindred: The Embraced"? As sample sizes go, 1 stinks, but it is the kind of short-run, cult-audience show that we're talking about here. And, even if its sales were decent, what would happen if there were several other "Kindred"-type sets on the market?

I've got a long-ish list of short-run shows I'd like to see released, from "Alien Nation" to "Jack & Jill", but I always figured the best chance they'd have is if someone from them reappeared as a success, like how Comedy Central ran the heck out of "The Duck Factory" when Jim Carrey first made it big.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Alien Nation is supposedly on the board to do at Fox

Brisco County Jr is about to be made available from Columbia house (yes, I know it's not optimal)

Space Above& Beyond is being spearheaded by Morgan and Wong for a DVD release, they're even trying to do it independantly.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I heard that "ALF", (NBC, 1986-1990), was possibly going to have a DVD release sometime in 2002. Damn, that was a good 80s show. I'd also like to see "Saved By The Bell", (NBC, 1989-1993), get a DVD release. Flame away. ;)

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
JulianK I'm with you on American Gothic . I'd love to get the full 22 episode run. My tapes are pretty well worn out. I remember hearing rumors that Sam Raimi was interested in doing some commentaries for it.
Greg

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Buck Rogers in the 25th century
would be a great candidate. As with most SciFi series, there is a built in audience of fanatics who will grab the thing and make a lot of money for whoever releases it.
BR lasted for 1.5 or 2 seasons, but only season 1 is worth it -- there was a writers? strike after season 1 and in the prolonged hiatus they changed and ruined the show.
Bring on Wilma Deering, Princess Ardala & Dr. Theopolis!
Ted

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
I am with you on the "Flash". I even spoke to someone at Pet Fly productions(the creators of the show). They said they have no say over it. It is Warner Brothers who makes the decision. Flash actually didn't do that bad in the ratings here. I remember a tv guide article where the president of cbs said it was his moving the show around that killed it. It also became a ratings hit in Europe and S.America.
Jason,
Their are lots of people like you. Have you ever gone to a Star Trek convention? I have been to one in NY with over a 1000 people attending. And most are fans who are just as obsessed over getting tv shows on dvd. I remember a few years ago one guy who was selling tapes of old tv shows. His table was mobbed. And they were spending a lot of money for shows on vhs that were not always that great of quality.
Joel,
ARK II. Now that brings back memories. The cool vehicle with the monkey. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks