Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Universal Classic Monster Discs Withrdawn?!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 OFFLINE   James Alexis

James Alexis

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 11:52 AM

I read on another forum that the Universal Classic Monsters discs are to be withdrawn on 18th March. Anyone know anyomre about this? I had better buy them quick. I'm hoping that maybe they will be re-promoted (at a cheaper price) at some later stage.

#2 of 88 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 12:06 PM

I hope this isn't true. I still haven't purchased the double features that came out last year, but I will ASAP if this is the case.

#3 of 88 OFFLINE   paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 01:42 PM

Sweet Lord *multiple expletives deleted* this better not be true.

If it is, I have to buy them, which means big money loss, which leads to the no money, which leads to those loan guys, and bad things happen. Argh.

Hopefully its not true, or better yet like you say, they get reduced in price for a re-promotion Posted Image
My uncle was reading the paper one morning and saw an ad that said "Drink Canada Dry"...and he was gone the next morning.

#4 of 88 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Second Unit

• 350 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 01:54 PM

Same here, I'm in big financial trouble if this is true. I haven't bought a single one yet but they've been on my must buy list since they came out! Posted Image

#5 of 88 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 02:16 PM

I hope it is just a re-price. They have been way over-priced to begin with, and that is why I have not bought any of them. I'd gladly buy ALL of them if they a MSRP of $19.99 (in other words so I could get them for $12-$15 each). Also, does anybody have a complete listing of all of these titles? Thanks.
Government in action = Government inaction

#6 of 88 OFFLINE   Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight

Screenwriter

• 2,515 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 02:53 PM

From mhvf.net

[quote]

Today I received the following advisory from a friend who works in a video store:

Please note that effective March 18th, the following Universal DVD product will be placed on moratorium:

* Bride of Frankenstein (20632)

* Creature from the Black Lagoon (20760)

* Dracula (20324)

* Frankenstein (20325)

* The Invisible Man (20766)

* The Mummy (1932) (20327)

* Phantom of the Opera (1943) (20767)

* The Wolf Man (20331)

* Classic Monsters: The Definitive Collection (21467)

* The Classic Monster Collection (20786)

* Dracula's Daughter/Son of Dracula Double Feature (21398)

* The Ghost of Frankenstein/Son of Frankenstein Double Feature

(21404)

* Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman/House of Frankenstein Double Feature

(21401)

* The Mummy's Ghost/The Mummy's Curse Double Feature (21405)

* The Mummy's Hand/The Mummy's Tomb Double Feature (21407)

* Werewolf of London/She-Wolf of London Double Feature (21410)

[quote]
Kyle McKnight

#7 of 88 OFFLINE   Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 02:59 PM

My DVD Collection

#8 of 88 OFFLINE   Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:03 PM

[quote]

I read on another forum that the Universal Classic Monsters discs are to be withdrawn on 18th March.

[quote]

Maybe this means that they're getting set to launch another round. I really want Revenge of the Creature , The Creature walks among us , and House of Dracula , not to mention the other invisible man movies.

Todd
My DVD Collection

#9 of 88 OFFLINE   Sarah S

Sarah S

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:14 PM

At any rate, now's the time to start picking these suckers up.
My DVD List
"The sea-monkey has my money."
"The stars are ageless, aren't they?"
"Dude, that goalie was pissed!"

#10 of 88 OFFLINE   Julie K

Julie K

Screenwriter

• 1,963 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:19 PM

Damn, I've got to get Creature from the Black Lagoon right now like. Would these folks who make the decisions to pull discs kindly send me money to cover these must-have purchases?
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

#11 of 88 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,483 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:43 PM

I'll probably get the 8-disc set with Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Phantom of the Opera, Creature From The Black Lagoon, and The Bride of Frankenstein. I don't really want Phantom or The Wolf Man, but the box set is cheaper than getting 6 of the discs separately. $120 for 9 movies (counting the spanish version of Dracula) is a great kill...no pun intended. Is this fact or a rumor, though?

#12 of 88 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:49 PM

That box set is very nice. My g/f bought it for me when it came out. I still have to get those double features thogh. Also Abbott and costello meet the monsters and the mummy are very nice DVDs.

#13 of 88 Guest_MaxY_*

Guest_MaxY_*

Posted March 12 2002 - 04:02 PM

Just wanted to note that as Randy pointed out, there are two A&C Monster DVDs out. A&C Meet the Frankenstien A&C meet The Mummy Still hoping for the other one which I think was A&C Meet The Invisible Man. Max

#14 of 88 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,085 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 12 2002 - 05:30 PM

I'd like the double features, but they might as well pull them as expensive as they are. Still, I like the series. I just pray the next round will include the Incredible Shrinking Man, the Creature sequels, and the Invisible Man sequels. Particulary Shrinking.

#15 of 88 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 06:30 PM

Damn. Why can't we find these things out sooner? Now I'm going to have to run out and go broke buying the box set. Crap!
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#16 of 88 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 07:44 PM

Before there's a run on these titles, does anyone have a link to any official statement from Universal?

#17 of 88 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 07:49 PM

Where's the smiley with sucker written on his forehead?

Oh well, last week I was scrounging around for a new copy of Beauty and the Beast to replace the one I sold over the summer. Criterion seems to have wiped from the planet except from a few Borders locations. Yesterday, I caught up on some of the backlog and ordered a bunch from DVD Planet. Well, if Ken Crane is a real person he's about to go out for another nice dinner tonight. Posted Image I just picked up the 2 A&C plus the double feature discs to fill out the collection just in case they are gone forever.

That was about $176 so I guess if you need the set too it will run about $300 total. I'll likely keep them sealed for a month just in case a price change is in order. I can always dump them on ebay before folks hear of a re-release. Posted Image

We really need some sort of warning system or at least bring back the image-entertainment discontinuation press releases.

#18 of 88 OFFLINE   Randy B A

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 08:34 PM

off topic, I saw that a&c meet the invisable man on amc a couple of months back, I don't think it is on DVD yet.

#19 of 88 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 09:11 PM

Hey, is it JUST me, or did the Lugosi "Dracula" look pretty lame? I mean, I KNOW it's old but the spanish version looks MUCH better! Surely they could have done SOME kinda restoration or search for a better print! I mean, this IS a Classic!!!!

Maybe they'll have a "Deluxe" Yada, Yada....

Posted Image D

#20 of 88 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 09:59 PM

Didn't the double feature discs just come out less than a year ago? Man stuff doesn't stick around very long. I still need 7 more discs and since I just bought a new Receiver, Speakers & Sub there is no way I'll be getting these right now. Hope this is just a reprice type of thing, they did one for the original releases, but never did one for the second run.
~Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users