What's new

What makes British humor more unique (or not) than other English speaking humor (1 Viewer)

Joe Burton

Auditioning
What do you think makes British (cinema and tv humor) better and / or more unique than other English speaking cinema and tv humor and can you give any witty examples to prove your point. I'm not British by birth, but I read something somewhere saying Americans have an irony deficiency.

Per Berger

Auditioning
As I see it, one difference is that the Brittish can make jokes about themselves and find them funny...

/P

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
What do you think makes British (cinema and tv humor) better and / or more unique than other English speaking cinema and tv humor
It isn't better. British comedy sucks. Maybe 20-30 years ago, the writing of SOME British sitcoms was sharper than that of their American counter-parts, but nowadays I think American comedy is MUCH funnier. Give me Seinfeld and Larry Sanders over Mr. Bean and Birds of a Feather any day of the week. And twice on Sundays! :D
P.S. British film comedy is universally garbage. Haven't laughed at a British comedy in years and years and years......

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It isn't better. British comedy sucks. Maybe 20-30 years ago, the writing of SOME British sitcoms was sharper than that of their American counter-parts, but nowadays I think American comedy is MUCH funnier. Give me Seinfeld and Larry Sanders over Mr. Bean and Birds of a Feather any day of the week. And twice on Sundays
Yup, I'd rather watch those two too.

But you're not comparing like to like, Paul. British TV only picks up the good American comedies - you're 'missing out' on the dross American sitcoms that pad out the schedules. Believe me, there's a *ton* of vapid TV that even Channel 5 wouldn't dream of picking up.

There's nothing over here to rival League of Gentleman, Father Ted or Red Dwarf for example. There's /nothing/ like Men Behaving Badly - the American version completely & utterly missed the point.

But wasn't the original question about British humour? It's simple - it's self-depreciating with a strong sense of sarcasm & irony, as well as a good sense of stupidity.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
But wasn't the original question about British humour? It's simple - it's self-depreciating with a strong sense of sarcasm & irony, as well as a good sense of stupidity.
I would find it difficult to discuss the basis for British humour without considering British TV and film comedy. In my book, they're at the core of how it is defined today. Stuff like Carry On is the strongest definition of British humor to me. Otherwise, I wouldn't really know where to begin.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
We'll have to agree to disagree, Paul, we've got complete polar tastes by the looks of things.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
American comedy tends to proclaim to everyone:

"Look at me, I'm funny" whereas English comedy seems more subtle(there are exceptions of course).

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I personally think that you have to pay more attention when you watch British sitcoms because the jokes can be more complex and tongue-in-cheek. Some of my favorite British comedy is Fry and Laurie...some of that stuff puts me in such a stitch that I can't breathe correctly. And don't forget Absolutely Fabulous.

Much of America's humor is driven by short attention spans and obvious, slap-you-in-the-face punchlines. I find myself chortling for hours after watching a good brit sitcom, but the American shows leave me wanting more.

Cheers,

Jason

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I don't think that the differences are all that great. The general stereotype is that British humor is more subtle, ironic, and based on understatement, but I think that it is just that, a stereotype. There are far too many exceptions for it to be generally applicable.

Regards,

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
You know how some Americans puzzle over Jerry Lewis' popularity in France? That's how I feel about Benny Hill in the US ;)
He's an anachronism that's given zero time these days. The Carry On movies, as pointed out before, are a better example of the 'saucy postcard' humour.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
but I read something somewhere saying Americans have an irony deficiency.
The biggest problem Americans have with irony is identifying it. We've got Alanis Morisette singing "Isn't It Ironic" in which the only irony is that NONE of the things she mentions is ironic. Isn't it ironic? No, Alanis, it isn't. Rain on your wedding day is unfortunate, it isn't ironic. Rain on the weatherman's wedding day is ironic.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Isn't it ironic? No, Alanis, it isn't. Rain on your wedding day is unfortunate, it isn't ironic. Rain on the weatherman's wedding day is ironic.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think the more important question is: What makes British women less attractive (or not) than other caucasian women? Extremely limited gene pool? Tenuous grasp on the concept of oral hygiene?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Greg, having thus insulted the partners of several men on this thread, would you like to say anything else? Admittedly, we cannot every hope to produce anyone over here to compare in beauty with Roseanne or Ellen Degeneries, but we are trying very hard, and our scientists are hopeful that within a couple of generations we *might* produce someone as attractive as, say, Hilary Clinton.

And will you guys please lay off the dentistry jokes? Brits want their teeth to look real, not like a mouth full of dentures.

Ike

Screenwriter
Apparently British humour isn't self-depreciating. :D
I think we shouldn't sell one short, and give the other credit. For every Seinfeld and Larry Sanders, there's a Family House or Raising Dad. And for every lousy Brit-com( I think we get them all on PBS), there's a Monty Python or Louie Theroux.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
more unique
:laugh:
Humorous and ironic - man you're halfway there!
And it's British humour - humor isn't a word over her - it's a typo.
Paul, the last Blackadder series was only, hell 13 years ago and that's bloody funny, and poignant.
The 'official' final Only Fools and Horses a few years back were still very funny and the whole series sits inside your 20-30 year area.
Have you watched Spaced any time recently. I don't know that British humour has got bad but we just don't bother making sitcoms anymore as they've got kind of dull.
Did you ever see The Fast Show? Perhaps you're just strange, Paul! ;)
As far as the U.S. stuff we have on import goes, it's all very old - Friends, Frasier and The Simpsons are the only U.S. stuff I can think of that's popular. And beyond that, I can't actually think of anything particularly hilarious from the U.S. that I saw aside from the legendary Dream On or Mash. It can be funny, yes, but I rarely get the kind of belly laughs the early Red Dwarf series or Spaced now gives me.

Ike

Screenwriter
As far as the U.S. stuff we have on import goes, it's all very old - Friends, Frasier and The Simpsons are the only U.S. stuff I can think of that's popular. And beyond that, I can't actually think of anything particularly hilarious from the U.S. that I saw aside from the legendary Dream On or Mash. It can be funny, yes, but I rarely get the kind of belly laughs the early Red Dwarf series or Spaced now gives me.
Do you get South Park, Sex and the City, Mr. Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos (dark humour), and The Daily Show over there? (Very HBO heavy, but it's better than commercial TV, and can be smarter)

They show Red Dwarf on PBS, and I don't know what season it is, but it's just not funny. It seems very broad, and no better than a lot of the junk we have on.

(What does 'series' mean to the Brits? Here it means a full run of a show. So, all 11 years of The Simpsons would be called a series. It seems you are using it like we would 'season'. Is that it?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks