-

Photo

Whatever happened to that "GIANT" re-release?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 08:06 AM

The thread topic says it all folks.....where is it? I thought it was getting an LDI restoration and a 5.1 track for a full region 1 (not just Canada) launch. It is an AFI 100 film, and I'm quite sure that Warner will give us the two disc SE style package which Zhivago and Kane got. I sold my Canadian edition on Ebay after hearing that a new one was on the way, but I'm getting a little concerned now, evrnthough, I'm sure we'll see it at some point. Also, has anyone heard anything regarding "East of Eden?" I have been anxious to know why Warner has been slow with the James Dean titles.

RegPosted Image
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, I have been meaning to ask this as well. I wonder what is causing the delay. Posted Image

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted March 11 2002 - 11:19 AM

I don't recall a re-release ever being officially announced. I think it was just a rumour that got started at The Digital Bits.

The fact that they discontinued the previous Canada only DVD suggests problems with rights issues to me.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 01:01 AM

As far as Warners being slow with James Dean titles, Maybe they don't know who James Dean was!

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 01:04 AM

Someone at Warner must have thrown it in the vault along with the thousands of other movies that they are keeping hidden from the public.

And some people are hoping that Warner buys MGM...sheesh.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 02:07 AM

Rumor is legal issues held up the release plans for a while. They're back on track now and a deluxe special edition will be out later this year.

Warner's catalog output this year is triple what it was last year, and far more agressive than virtually any of the other studios. Let's give them a little more credit, huh?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
and far more agressive than virtually any of the other studios

You mean MGM, Columbia, Paramount...sorry but I have to disagree. Yes they have made improvements but I'm very sceptical about what they decide to release. And at the present rate it will still be many, many years before we see some of the greatest movies in Hollywood history.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 12 2002 - 08:35 AM

Giant definately needs some digital work done to the image because of the "wonderful" lab work WarnerColor did in the 1950's.

The version on tape and TV now is the restored version which does look great...but all the optical shots look awful. Warner's optical department at the time duped an entire SHOT instead of just enough to allow for the dissolve to be put in. Some of these shots last for a minute or two, so you got a real problem there.

I'd much rather have Giant on DVD (along with the hundreds of titles everyone here is requesting from WB) in top form instead of getting a piece of crap. A commentary with George Stevens Jr and Dennis Hopper would be fantastic, BTW.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,170 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 11:03 AM

I've been one of Warner's biggest detractors during the past 18 months regarding its snail-pace release of catalog titles. However, they seem to be making an effort to do better by classic film fans, so my plan is to wait a year and see how sincere they are.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   ReggieW

ReggieW

Screenwriter

• 1,574 posts

Posted March 12 2002 - 01:16 PM

I agree Patrick.

It appears that we will hopefully be getting a two-disc edition of this title by years-end. Since Liz Taylor participated in the documentary (at the last minute, if memory serves) on Paramounts "A Place in the Sun" disc last fall, perhaps Warner will be able to secure her (heck, they got Heston for Ben-hur and Sharif for Zhivago) for a scene specific commentary on Giant! This would definitely be worth the wait if they couple commentaries with the existing features on the Canadian disc (I predict that this is probably what'll happen, as Warner did this with Zhivago - new commentary, but old features). If LDI is working on the image and sound.....oh man!
Posted Image

Reg
More Harlow on DVD Now! - Red Dust, Bombshell, Hold Your Man, Saratoga, The Iron Man, Goldie, The Secret Six, Beast of the City, Three Wise Girls, Reckless, Personal Property, Riff-raff, Suzy & Girl from Missouri

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted March 17 2002 - 05:08 AM

I would love to see a re-release of "Giant." I actually held the original release in my hands but put it back because it had a small crease on the cover (gotta hate those snappers!) Two of Elizabeth Taylor's best friends co-starred with her in this film (Hudson and Dean) and am sure she would be glad to do an interview or better yet a commentary! Gettin' excited!

Andy Budgell
An Elizabeth Taylor and Judy Garland fan that is not happy do to the lack of their films being released on DVD!!

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted March 17 2002 - 05:23 AM

A Liz Taylor commentary would be a hoot. Any time she talks she is funny as hell, not intentionally of course, but thats ok.
My DVDs

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 17 2002 - 08:22 AM

If Warners really wanted to release more catalog titles, don't you think we would see them?

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 17 2002 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
If Warners really wanted to release more catalog titles, don't you think we would see them?

They have thousands of movies that need new masters for DVD. Even if they were sublicenced to Criterion and Anchor Bay, even THEY could not handle that many titles.

Forum Nav Content I Follow