What's new

Has anyone heard about this? Possible 5th plane that didn't get off the ground? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have been trying to find out of this information is true or not, as there has been no mention of it on the news.
A friend of one of my family members has a sister who was on a plane in Boston Monday morning for an 8 AM take-off. There were mechanical problems, so they sat there for some time. As time went on, cell phones started ringing and the news spread. After 9 AM they were taxied back and told to get off the plane.
4 Arab men were in First Class, which was located at the very front of the plane and they left in a great hurry. The woman on this flight who relayed this information found this to be suspiscious once she put two and two together and reported the matter to authorities.
Anyone else here about this? If true, there could have been a 5th plane and God only knows where it was headed for.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Please don't bring racism into this Brian. Matt only stated the facts. Their behavior certainly is "suspicious" in light of known facts. All the hijackers were Arab, and all worked in groups of 4 or 5, booking seats in 1st class.
As for corroborating evidence, go to ABC's website. ABC reports that 2 more groups fitting this profile and carrying fake id's and knives were caught trying to board planes today.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
CNN confirms that 8 people (ABC stated 10) were arrested at the two NY airports. This is presumed to be why they briefly opened, and were quickly shut down.
One of the suspects is said to have had a fake pilot's id. One group were identified as being in the airport on the 11th as well.
No further info however.
So thats not only a 5th plane, but a 6th as well!!!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if more suspects turn up who were a bit smarter and didn't return to the airports. I hope the FBI is checking over all the manifests of planes who were grounded that day.
[Edited last by Danny R on September 13, 2001 at 10:27 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I would find it hard to believe that the 4 planes that crashed were the only ones that were targetted, or that those responsible didn't and don't still have backup in place in case something went wrong. I would find it surprising if any of this group, who were smart enough to elude the world's greatest intelligence network through the planning stages, were to try to do anything in the immediate future.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc
[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on September 13, 2001 at 10:51 PM]

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ted Koppel just interviewed a passenger on the American Airlines plane involved in the incident at JFK airport. The plane sat at the gate for two hours and the pilot finally announced the plane would be taking off. Just afterwards, police and heavily armed SWAT team members stormed the plane and forcibly subdued and carried off one man and cuffed and took off two others. The passenger said his fellow passengers handled things remarkably well and the pilot and flight attendants were wonderful in helping calm things afterwards. Needless to say, the flight never took off and the passengers had to depart the plane.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's
[Edited last by Michael*K on September 13, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
5 or 6 is easy. When this started, I read somewhere on here that there were 8! At first I thought that the others had all been shot down too, and the press covered it up. (The lack of info from PA only shows that something is missing).
Now I see that it is more likely that the other four never even got off of the ground. I'd hate to think up four more targets! They did initially release a lot more info in Europe, and our members there kept us filled in.
Glenn

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I too would be very surprised if the four crashed planes were the only ones with hijackers onboard, but I haven't seen anything mentioned in the national media about more planes. On the whole, the media seems very careful to release speculation and rumours, which is good. However, these rumours still exist elsewhere, and I wish they would at least take their time and deny them, if they are in fact only rumours.
/Mike
------------------

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I would find it surprising if any of this group, who were smart enough to elude the world's greatest intelligence network through the planning stages, were to try to do anything in the immediate future.
Can you imagine how the public would react if one of the very first resumed flights was hijacked and crashed into yet another symbol of American freedom? It would be completely demoralizing to see another act of terrorism carried out immediately after new security measures were put in place. It would have maximum shock value. So it should not be surprising that the terrorists would strike again right away.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Wayne - exactly. As I mentioned in another thread here, the USA has been extremely lucky not to have experienced the higher frequency of terrorist attacks we have in Europe (please don't misinterpret this - I mean this sympathetically). Unless you start operating a *much* higher level of vigilance (and trust me, it really doesn't impinge on normal life) then further attacks are a horrible possibility.
Related to this, I feel extremely sorry for the 99.999999% of people of arabic origin living in the States who are peace loving, utterly appalled at these events, and who are now going to be treated with suspicion simply because of their ethnic origin.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Glenn - "They did initially release a lot more info in Europe, and our members there kept us filled in"
To be fair to the US press, I suspect this is because even I noticed several rumours appearing, being reported as false here, and then turning up as fact half an hour later on European news sites. This sounds like more false rumours floating around.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Of course. Because they were Arabs & in First Class, they were obviously guilty. :/
As the author of this thread, I take great offense at that statement! Any insinuation that I or the people who reported this are racist is just sick.
And of course, now we know that there WERE more planes targeted with the arrests of last night. This country is very lucky. We could have lost the Capital Dome and the White House as well as the World Trade Center.
One of my best friends is from the Middle East and she is horrified by what has happened and I spent some time last night comforting her. Those who would insinuate in any way that I or others who are simply reporting facts are racist need to take their comments elsewhere.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Here is the story:
-On Tuesday a flight leaving at 9am from NY to LA was cancelled because of an unknown reason(not because of the crashes). 3 Middle-eastern men started arguing with the flight crew about it. But, before security got there, they had left.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
According to Senator Joseph Biden, those arrested at the airports have been cleared of any terrorist connections.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
As the author of this thread, I take great offense at that statement! Any insinuation that I or the people who reported this are racist is just sick.
I apologise for my initial remark. I've just seen too many postings on other boards & heard too many other comments where anything involving Arabic people are instantly 'guilty'.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
CNN is reporting that reliable sources indicate that there were also targets in Boston, Atlanta and Richmond, Va. involving tall buildings or sports facilities.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
CNN is reporting that reliable sources indicate that there were also targets in Boston, Atlanta and Richmond, Va. involving tall buildings or sports facilities.
I've had enough of these "reliable sources." 99.999% of what has been reported since Tues night has been proven false. These networks still haven't learned their lesson and are merely attempting to turn tragedy into profit by turning to National Enquirer style journalism.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Hate to place a damper on anyone's confidence in the FBI, but these arrests/detentions could be diversions (don't they seem a little too quick and easy ?).
Lifted from
http://www.stratfor.com/home/0109132130.htm
A likely possibility is that the hijackers intentionally left material designed to provide the FBI with an obvious trail leading to low-level operatives with limited knowledge of the attack or its sponsors. While authorities are preoccupied on this investigative track, the real masterminds of the attack could flee detection and plan more operations.
A similar situation was alleged to have occurred following the bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993. Ramzi Ahmed Yousef, the alleged planner of the attack, flew from New York to Pakistan the day of the explosion, leaving at least two accomplices behind.
Neither of the two men held any useful information about the operation or Yousef, and one was arrested after he foolishly returned to the rental agency to pick up his deposit on a van used in the attack.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kirk, I have to agree that the FBI's progress has appeared too significant given the short amount of time since the incidents. One has to wonder whether it could be this "easy" to piece it all together. I realize the FBI doesn't have all the information it is seeking, but it has gathered quite a bit in a short amount of time.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks