Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is it possible some DVD's intentionally get a sub-par transfer?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted March 08 2002 - 01:19 AM

I often wonder when some studios release a special edition DVD, that they do not want it to be the end-all, be-all of that particular title and intentionally do a less than steller transfer.

One recent DVD release that comes to mind is Tombstone. This was originally released bare bones & with a poor non 16x9 enhanced transfer. For a couple years, this movie was begging for a special edition. Now that it finally comes out, it's not nearly as good looking as it could or should have been. (Although to be fair, it's much better than the original one.)

Is this done intentionally so they can release an even better looking special edition down the road?

Also, not to change my own subject, but why does THX certify so many of these "type" of DVD's?

Thanks,

Jeff

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,682 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 08 2002 - 02:41 AM

I've always wondered about the "THX" thing too. There are a number of discs proudly bearing the THX logo that seem of inferior quality when stacked up against a selection of everyday, non-THX discs. Is THX certification just marketing and no substance?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted March 08 2002 - 02:47 AM

THX certification doesn't mean much nowadays when studios like New Line & Columbia put out better-produced DVDs. In the early days of laserdisc, THX certification was a big deal. I remember being in awe of the then first-rate "The Abyss" THX laserdisc boxed-set.
Home Theater Addict

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 08 2002 - 03:32 AM

I certainly wouldn't doubt it. The reason that many studios were hesitant to get into DVD in the first place was due to the extremely high quality of the transfer.

They've been using this technique in video games for years. It always made me mad that you had to keep buying sports games over and over again for the same system, because each year they made them better. The programmers knew the capabilities of the system when it was released, but they metered back the quality and features and then released an upgrade every year.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,478 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 08 2002 - 05:34 AM

Anyone who worked for a company and intentionally tried to screw up a transfer would get fired quicker than you can say "edge enhancement."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users