What's new

Paramount: Star Trek: Nemesis (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Mr. Blythe,

I know it's very early to be asking this question since this movie is only filming now, but since you guys are doing SE's of the Trek moives, I was just curious if any preparation for an SE of Nemesis is being done during the filming of the movie, like Peter Jackson said he did for Lord Of The Rings?

As always, thanks for you time.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I guess they would have two ways to go on this - release it right the first time, or release a bare-bones edition and an SE when this film has it's turn in the SE schedule.
I think they'll release it right the first time :).

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Just saw this at Wil Wheaton's website where he talks about why his scene was cut from Nemesis:
There is an unexpected sincerity to what he tells me: the movie is long. The first cut was almost 3 hours. The scene didn't contribute to the main story in any way, so it was the first one to go.
He tells me that they've cut 48 minutes from the movie.
Again, I know this is early but I think this movie is already screaming for a director's edition.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the general public would stand for a 3 hour Star Trek movie, and I want this one to be successful. But PLEASE can we have both the original and an extended cut on DVD?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I too want all of the deleted scenes, even Wesley's. As part of the movie or as a supplement.
Thanks!
And no I am not related to Will Wheaton. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I doubt it'd be 3 hours. I've read the script and I'm pretty sure I know what they sliced, and it really would run too long. I really hope they cut this one Bplot, but I'm sure they didn't

That being said, I could see 20 or 30min going back in and the rest for the deleted scenes section

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
I don't need the whole thing to be put back in if it was cut for good reason... even Wil admits that his scene would have been the first he'd cut if they gave him the scissors. Not because it was bad but because it didn't advance the story.
I'm happy enough when they put it in the deleted scenes area except that usually means that its not captioned then but I hear that Paramount captioned all the extras on Star Trek II so I wouldn't expect any different from Star Trek X. I ordered my copy of Star Trek II today :D
This very topic has been something I've wondered about recently... whether or not Paramount would bypass their "special edition re-release" and put out the SE of ST X or do bare bones and let the SE come out later. At the rate they're going... we're looking at 2 a year so ST X wouldn't see SE til 4 years from now. But here's hoping that like the recent step up of the TNG releases (man my jaw dropped when I saw the new dates, means they're all released within NINE MONTHS!! damn), they'll speed up the release of the ST movies. Esp since 4 years from now they'll be probably working on HD-DVD versions :P

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Megan, as I said in another thread, Paramount captions ALL extras on ALL their DVD's. You'd have to go back over a year to find a DVD where they DIDN'T do this.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
In regards to a longer cut, that seems somewhat silly, as most films, in their first edit, come in much longer than what eventually ends up on screen. Sometimes it's simply multiple takes edited together. I think it was Martin Scorsese who once talked about how he pitied his composers, as they have to sit through 4-hour rough cuts of his films. It's also a bit silly since no one's actually seen the film yet, and thus, no one can say whether or not an extended version would be necessary (or even wanted). However, I'm not here to lambast others' opinions. I just wanted to say that I hope Paramount does release an extra-laden disc for Nemesis upon its initial release. Of course, I also thought that they would capitalize on The Sum of All Fears DVD release by releasing special editions of Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger, so....

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I think we should be addressing Paramount in general, not poor Martin Blythe in particular. Right?

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
I look forward to "Nemesis" in a Director's Cut. Has anyone heard what's beyond "Nemesis"? Could there be a "Star Trek Voyager" Feature? Surely Paramount won't end the film franchise for good?? Thoughts??

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There will be more Trek movies

What form that will take is way up in the air. I'm guessing that next film will be an amalgamation of whatever TNGers need cash, Voyager people and maybe some DS9ers (oh please!)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I would vote for the next Trek film to feature the cast of Enterprise. Of course this would probably mean waiting 6 years for the tv series to complete its run.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I would take DS9 film TNG for the next movie but the best we'll ever get (if even that) is probably a couple of characters in the next movie. I love TNG too but IMO, DS9 is the best today's Trek has to offer.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's hard enough to get non Star Trek fans into theaters. That's why you see these films barely get to $100 million though some of them clearly excel beyond the rapid money makers that cross that number without effort.

Make it 3 hours and the 1st weekend totals are going to be that much lower. Trek films seem to make a good bank on the first weekend and rapidly decelerate. It's just my perspective.

I think the general public will stand for a 3 hour movie, though not as a norm. I don't think they'd stand for a 3 hour STAR TREK film.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Unfortunately I agree with John. As much as I'd love to see a 3 hour Star Trek film, I know it would never do well with the general public, which is why this movie needs a Director's Edition. Not every scene that was cut needs to be included but if there are some character development scenes or character updates (like Wesley, Guinan, Janeway and possibly others)
that are cut because of time-constraints, it would be nice to have them included in preferably an expanded cut, or at least as deleted scenes.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
A DS9 movie Daniel? I honestly don't think the head honchos at the mountain will even consider it. DS9 is darker and bleaker than all the other Treks put together - and that is why I love it so. Add this to the fact that no TNG movie has taken over $100m at the US box office and 'The Return of Sisko' is but a distant dream. Still, Nemesis has the chance to turn the movie franchise around. Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks