What's new

Best shows NEVER to be given a shot :( (1 Viewer)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The theme from American High just came up on my Mp3 play list and it made me nostalgic. A GREAT show which just never found an audience (Thanks to Fox assuredly) and I think could have been so much more. My ALL time favorite show of all time was Freaks and Geeks on NBC, a critical FAVORITE and it was yanked with barely a chance.

What are some of YOUR favorite shows which NEVER got a chance? Let's NOT use to thread to rag on the shows people loved (There are PLENTY of shows on TV I could rag on now that people on here LOVE enough to have a thread devoted to them)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
"Get A Life"
The documentary/interview on the latest DVD volume (Vol.2) details just how much FOX wanted to get the show off the air from the start. Chris Elliot is a genius. Okay, maybe just a step below, but he's really funny. :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Gilmore Girls was for a long time not being noticed, but WB held on, and now it's doing good. That would have been a case if it was pulled.

I agree with Freak and Geeks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Link Removed -- I guess this reappeared on cable, but I didn't have cable then, so to me it vanished (and right when it was really good good! :angry:
Link Removed -- a fun show, with a clever premise, killed in its prime. Later reincarnated by the lesser Link Removed
I discovered Freaks and Geeks when they showed the "lost" episodes, just before killing the show. I was surprised by how good it was!

Scott De

Grip
EZ Streets had the potential to be a mainstream Sopranos long before there was a Sopranos.

Nowhere Man was another show that never had the chance to fulfill its' promise.

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to say Action also.

I remember thinking "Profit" was one of the coolest ideas for a show in a while, but they never let that one get off the ground. Then again, I'm one of those people who always roots for the bad guy in movies.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Definitely Freeks and Geeks...one of my all-time favorites (where's the DVD release dammit!)...and Twin Peaks to a certain extent wasn't given a chance. After ratings started dropping in season two, ABC moved it to Saturday night (aka the graveyard).

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Freaks and Geeks is my #1 choice also.
There was another show in 1993 called Link Removed It had Giancarlo Esposito on it and it was set in a small town police station (Does anybody remember this show?) I remember seeing it only once and really liking it and then never seeing it again.
Also, pretty much any 1/2 hour show without a laugh track barely ever gets a chance. That's why I know two of my favorite shows, The Job and Undeclared, will disappear sooner than later. I'm already pissed and it hasn't happened yet.
Also Manimal ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You didn't want to see the Sci-Fi Channel seasons of SLiders, trust me ;)
Tick, Lone Gunman, Space: Above & Beyond (Space 2063), Earth 2, Alien Nation, Battlestar Galactica, Sledge Hammer, Police Squad, I'm sure there's at least a dozen more ;)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
"VR 5" was a cool show that was always pretty interesting and had an ongoing arc. I would have liked to see how it ended.

For a while FOX was having a run of interesting science fiction shows with the success of X-Files.

I also liked Starman from several years ago. It only lasted a season.

Arkady Kleiner

Auditioning
'Good vs Evil' (or 'G vs E')
Funny as hell show, but too "out there" for the casual viewer.
And i'm still mad at FOX for "Space: Above and Beyond" :frowning:.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Beyond Belief

Okay, Fox tried giving it a shot a few times but barely promoted it during the "second" and "third" chances. This was a really fun show to watch. Especially to see if those "urban legends" were true.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Cracker!!!! Quirky show with appealing characters with some significant personality flaws!

Brooklyn South

The show with Ed O'neil on CBS about cops and FBI working together...lasted 4 episodes.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The Tick (animated version), The Family Guy, Futurama, Stressed Eric, The Lone Gunman...

Most of them suffered from crappy programming schedules or unrealistic expectations. Damm you Fox for putting on good shows and then ritually killing them off one by one...Arrgh..

Jay

todd s

Senior HTF Member
-Battlestar Galactica

-The Flash

-Space: Above & Beyond

-Harsh Realm

-The Strip (Vegas detective show w/Sean Patrick Flanery)

-The Others

-Sliders (well it was given a second chance. But, they completely changed the show around and it sucked.)

-Vengeance Unlimited w/Michael Madsen (If anyone has them on tape and can make me a copy. Let me know??)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I agree with Sliders... when it was on Fox it kicked much ass. The Sci-Fi channel version sucked.

Also:

SeaQuest DSV

Boston Common (comedy on USA)

Undeclared

Brisco County, Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508