Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Open box Pioneer VSX-D710S opinions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Brown

Steve Brown

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 09:08 AM

Greetings all. My local Best Buy has an open box Pioneer VSX-D710S available for about $260. It appears to be in good condition on the exterior. I didn't take the time to ask anyone questions about why it had been returned. The woman I talked to when I was checking out said if the mark down is less than $50 it is usually just a return (vs. a repair). The new ones are $299. There is a remote and a manual with it. So is it worth it? I'll be honest and tell you that the only other componet I have right now is a DVD player, but I do plan on adding much more in the near future and if I can get a deal on a good receiver now, I'll take it. Pros? Cons? Opinions? Thanks for the input!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 09:27 AM

I always check the Open Box table at Best Buy. And I've gotten some great deals there.

Just check the warranty. If it's good, go for it. And don't buy the BB extended warranty. At that price it's worth the risk. Besides it delutes the great deal you just got.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian E

Brian E

Screenwriter

• 1,636 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 10:38 AM

You can get a VSX-709S from Refurb Depot for $199. It's a better receiver than the 710S, uses the same guts as the Elite receivers (or so I was told).
~Brian

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Brown

Steve Brown

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:48 PM

I believe it still had the manufacturer's warranty with it, but I'll be sure to check that. Anyone know if this receiver is supposed to come with cables or not? It didn't look like there were any in with it, so I was curious if there were supposed to be.

The girl at Best But said that they usually give better deals on open boxes on Saturdays to move the stuff. I'll probably go back on Saturday and see if its still around and see what kind of a deal I can get. Please keep the thoughts coming though.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted March 05 2002 - 12:16 PM

Quote:
Anyone know if this receiver is supposed to come with cables or not? It didn't look like there were any in with it, so I was curious if there were supposed to be.

The only cable that should be included is the power cable. For S-video cables and interconnect cables, you are on your own. Usually, only DVD players, CD players and cassette decks would include cables. However, they are usually of such poor quality that you'd end up purchasing new ones right from the start.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Chris_O

Chris_O

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted March 05 2002 - 03:32 PM

I bought this reciever this past December and I have been very happy with it. I replaced an older Pioneer stereo amp that I bought in 1989. It was still working great by the way, but I wanted the DD 5.1 and DTS surround sound. The surround sound is awsome when hooked up to a dvd player. I did a search on yahoo and found it listed as several internet stores for $205. I printed out the information from one of the sites and took it to Sears and they price matched it plus $9 for a standard shipping fee. They were asking $299, but with the price match I ended up paying $222 including tax.

Chris
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users