-

Photo

PLEASE HELP! My tooth is killing me!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted March 02 2002 - 02:52 PM

I have a broken molar, and I am in intense pain! I've tried everthing, I took two extra strength tylenol, about a tablespoon of anbesol liquid, and washed my mouth out with salt water, but nothing is helping and it won't let me sleep.

I have an appointment on Friday to have it removed, but until then...

Is their any home remedy techniques you guys can tell me about, i'll try anything!

I hope you can help, because I can't take this shit much longer!Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 33 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 03:06 PM

Try an icepack. Restricting the blood flow might get you some relief, but if it's an exposed nerve, I'm not sure how effective ice would be, either.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#3 of 33 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 03:15 PM

I had an abcess on my gums once because of a tooth, and I couldn't get to the dentist (why do these things always seem to happen on holiday weekends?) so here's the home remedy I tried, with some relief:

WHISKEY.

Take a shot of whiskey, the stronger the better. DON'T SWALLOW IT. Hold it in your mouth as long as you can stand it. It will numb your mouth and kill down the pain some.

If you are under your state's legal drinking age, make sure you spit it out!
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#4 of 33 Stephen L

Stephen L

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 03:50 PM

Call Monday and ask if your dentist can give you a painkiller until you see him .
Quote:
two extra strength tylenol,
Until then try taking 4 pills(200mg)of Motrin(ibuprofen) , prescription strength from the pharmacy is 800mg.That will be much better than the tylenol.Goodluck.

#5 of 33 Rob_J

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 04:09 PM

John,

Take an ice skate and a rock... well, I'm sure you know the rest, unless you've never seen Cast Away...
"Keep looking shocked and move slowly towards the cake..." --Homer

#6 of 33 Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 04:18 PM

I have found that 800mg of Ibuprofren to work pretty well when my wisdom tooth was coming through and had me in extreme pain.

#7 of 33 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 03:31 AM

Thanks guy's for the replies. Last night, after I got so insane with the pain that I put my fist through a picture on the wall, cutting my hand, I figured it was time to go to the ER.Posted Image

Turns out I have an infected absess, so they gave me a prescription for penacillin, vicodin, and motrin, I got them filled this morning. I feel o'k' now, but it still hurts, I just have to deal until friday when they pull this son of a bitch!

#8 of 33 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,087 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 03 2002 - 03:58 AM

John:

Definitely make sure you take all the Penicillin or the infection could just come right back and this time even worse. Ibuprofen will work great to cut down on the imflammation around the gum line but the Vicodin will do better to kill the pain. After the antibiotics kick in though your pain should start to really subside.

I have been dealing with an infected tooth myself and got on some antibiotics. I still have to set up an appointment to see a dentist though.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#9 of 33 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 04:56 AM

I am very familiar with tooth pain.Orajel and Aleve work pretty well.

#10 of 33 Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 05:44 AM

In all honesty, if you have to wait a whole week for something that seems to have now become an emergency, your dentist ain't doing you many favours. When I started suffering from a painful infection after getting a wisdom tooth with curved roots pulled out of my mouth (the tooth wasn't a problem at the time -- YET!), I called my dentist and she said to go to her office before regular business hours so she can give me a perscription.

You should really start looking for another dentist. Any doctor that lets their patients suffer needlessly for such a long period of time, and for a problem that can easily be corrected, isn't much of a doctor.

#11 of 33 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 08:59 AM

I would look for a new dentist, but my appointment is with the clinic. I made the appointment when I broke the tooth, this was about five weeks ago now, I just got lucky that this started now. Oh well, five days to go and it won't be a problem anymore.

Parker,
Hope your feels better, I wouldn't hesitate to make that appointment though.

#12 of 33 ace peterson

ace peterson

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 09:23 AM

There's a product called Red Cross Toothache Medication UPC code 3-10742-00091-7 which consists of cotton pellets that you soak in liquid eugenol and then pack into the cavity or chip. I hear it works well for teeth that have been chipped or broken.Posted Image

#13 of 33 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 09:28 AM

My sympathies, John. I've had some SEVERE tooth problems in the past, and I know full well that evil awful throbbing sensation. Ora-Jel, strong aspirin and salt water worked fairly well for me.

#14 of 33 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,679 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 09:46 AM

Now do you understand the pain that Chuck Nolan felt in Cast Away?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 33 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 10:26 AM

In NYC I could go see my dentist anytime and be treated right away. Their office was nothing fancy, it looks more like a shop than a doctor's office: A waiting room, then another room with 2 chairs seperated by a thin wall. I know for fact they (the doc and his apprentice) are not the best dentists in the world, but they get the job done, and at least I can WALK IN.

Waiting 5 days makes no sense. You should have gone to ER right away, this is tooth pain fer crissake!!! Posted Image

--
Holadem - oh, get another dentist

#16 of 33 Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 10:44 AM

John-

I'd call them Monday morning and let them know that this is an emergency, Most Dentists will take you in ASAP if you are in a lot of pain. Friday is a very long way off when your tooth and head are throbbing like a Mother fucker.

#17 of 33 Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, John. What is with this Friday crap? Most dental offices will accept an emergency case. My dentist once came in to treat me for the very same thing at 4:00 AM. Granted, the bill that followed was no fun, but it was well worth it!

I do know what you are feeling, BTW. Best wishes...Posted Image

#18 of 33 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 02:51 PM

Guy's, it's cool, i've just taken my third dose of the stuff the ER prescribed and the pain has deminished considerably, almost totally gone. With this medication I can hang in their until friday.

The thing is, i'm on a very limited budget, and I cannot afford to go to a regular dentist, I have to go to the clinic, I have no choice really.

#19 of 33 Mitty

Mitty

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 03:26 PM

John, did you explain the situation to them? I'm sure even a busy clinic will be able to slot you in should they have a cancellation. I'd be surprised if they didn't have any cancellations earlier in the week.

It'd beat medicating yourself into a stupor until then. Save the awesome pain killers for a special occasion. Posted Image

#20 of 33 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,212 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 03 2002 - 04:19 PM

John, it should help that you've just passed 2500 posts! THAT should take your mind off the tooth pain! Posted Image

Seriously, tell the clinic its an emergency and get it done!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon