Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"9/11" -- CBS -- March 10

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 of 78 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 04:15 PM

Anyone who watched tonights Survivor probably saw the promo for this. Any idea what the footage is that they are going to be featuring? Or is it lots of different footage that they put together? Sounds pretty interesting in any case, I think I'll check it out.

#2 of 78 OFFLINE   Henry C

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 04:41 PM

There is footage shot by a documentary team that happened to be following around some firefighters on that day. They have footage of what happened inside the twin towers. It seems quite interesting. I'll definitely check it out.

Henry
"You cannot make an omelet without breaking an egg, every cook will tell you that!

But look what happened to the cook!!"

#3 of 78 OFFLINE   VicRuiz

VicRuiz

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 05:18 PM

That is also the same team that got the only known footage of the first plane hitting. They subsequently followed the team of firefighters they were filming into the towers, and a lot of them didn't make it.
Vic Ruiz
Protect Fair Use. Support Boucher and Lofgren.

#4 of 78 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted February 28 2002 - 11:53 PM

I read an article in the newspaper about that footage, from what I read, it's supposed to be pretty terrifying stuff. Those guys were right in the middle of hell as it was happening, and they captured it on video. I will definatly be watching.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#5 of 78 OFFLINE   Matt Van Dam

Matt Van Dam

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 12:27 AM

I will be watching this as well. I have heard they got some pretty intense footage on that day.

#6 of 78 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 02:59 AM

I really want to see this, but I'm struggling to figure out how to do fit it in with everything else that's being broadcast at the same time on other networks. It's a brutal night for competitive programming:

CBS: 9/11
TNT: SAG awards
Fox: X-Files (2d of 2 parts)
ABC: Alias
HBO: Six Feet Under (at least that's guaranteed to be repeated)
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 78 OFFLINE   Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 03:17 AM

Apparently NYFD is going to use it (the raw footage) in training. I read an article a few weeks ago about this film. The writer had seen the tape. If the description in the article is anywhere close to true, much of it will not be shown.

There was one scene described that really disturbed me. WARNING - if you are squemish please do not read on. Some of the people on the film mention the odd sounds they are hearing outside (prior to the first collapse.) They believe sections of the building are falling off. Upon further investigation it is the sounds of bodies hitting the ground that they are hearing. At one point you see the Priest (I apologize, I forget his name) on film. A short while later you see his lifeless body being carried by some firefighters. (BTW, I saw an interview with a NY fireman that stated the Priest in question was killed when a jumper hit him. I've never heard that mentioned again.)

I hope that CBS handles this as tastefully as possible. I don't feel that something as horrific as this should simply be used to drum up ratings.

#8 of 78 OFFLINE   Dave Gates

Dave Gates

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 06:19 AM

This article http://www.smh.com.a...rld/world3.html gives a good description of the original footage. However, what CBS will and will not show is the question. Hopefully they take the high road, and present the footage in a way to honor the people that lost their lives that day. Not just grab raitings based on the intensity of the events.
Dave

"Lois you know my rule, You are only allowed to sleep with three people besides me, Gene Simmons, John Schneider or Boba Fett."

#9 of 78 OFFLINE   VicRuiz

VicRuiz

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
At one point you see the Priest (I apologize, I forget his name) on film. A short while later you see his lifeless body being carried by some firefighters. (BTW, I saw an interview with a NY fireman that stated the Priest in question was killed when a jumper hit him. I've never heard that mentioned again.)

His name was Father Mychal Judge, an Irish priest affectionately called Father Mike by the firefighters and people who knew him.
Vic Ruiz
Protect Fair Use. Support Boucher and Lofgren.

#10 of 78 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 06:46 AM

I'm debating whether I want to watch this or not.

The issue for me is, I can imagine the horror of 9/11, and it's a pretty excrutiating image in my head. I see the images in my minds eye, and the recall the memories of the day. It's perhaps one of the most difficult and gut wrentching nightmares my mind could think of.

I'm afraid that what I'll see on screen will surpass the images in my mind tenfold... and I don't know how I'm going to deal with them.

I'm not saying this should not be released - I think it should. The question is, do I need the message repeated and amplified once again? Do I need to relive the real-life experience from a first-hand perspective?

I think I'll sit this one out. I'll tape it for historical significance, but I don't think I'll watch it.

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#11 of 78 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 01 2002 - 07:21 AM

It seems like a cheap grab at ratings to me. I'll be watching Fox for the AOTC trailer, then X-Files.

#12 of 78 OFFLINE   Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor

• 865 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 12:29 PM

Thank you Vic, that was his name.

#13 of 78 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,239 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 03 2002 - 04:40 AM

adam what is aotc supposed to mean. sorry if i dont memorize the titles of all the movies coming out but is it so hard to just type the entire title. are you trying to save space?
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 78 OFFLINE   Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 06:10 AM

AOTC == Attack of the Clones

new Star Wars movie. The next tailer will be broadcast on Fox on the 10th...
Regards,
Paul Jenkins
Jenkins For Congress
Texas 3rd District
http://www.jenkins2004.comhttp://www.texas3rd.com

#15 of 78 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 10:09 AM

The footage on this program, by those who have seen it, has been compared to the JFK Zapruder film as being the definative footage of inside the towers during the attack. I will most definately watch and tape this program.

#16 of 78 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 10:49 AM

I read an article about this in people recently. The two camermen are brothers. One of them was standing next to the FDNY chaplin when tower 2 went down. After the dust cleared he was dead. He speculated in the article that he must have been hit by a piece of debris as they were in the lobby of tower 1 when this happened.

They also mentioned that a different version of this will be on DVD soon.

#17 of 78 OFFLINE   Vern Sharp

Vern Sharp

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 04:43 PM

MARK,

He was hit by a falling body while giving last rights to a dying Firefighter. I met with and spoke to one of the Firefighters,(Rescue 5) who survived, and he told us what happened. he stated that they had to "hug" the sides of the building to keep from being hit by the falling bodies while trying to enter the tower to begin rescue.

ADAM, if you read this, those guys gave their lives in the line of duty, so you can sit on your butt and watch x-files. That's what we do for a living Posted Image

Vern
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"!

Jimi Hendrix

#18 of 78 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 04:31 AM

Easy there, guys. Let's be cool about this. We are talking about a very, very sensitive subject here. Be respectful to one another.

I am watching the thing. But I am mildly concerned--this documentary had better be in the very best of taste. Perhaps the most respectful thing CBS could do is to air the program sans commercials. I would do everything possible to avoid any hint of exploitation--especially commercial exploitation.

#19 of 78 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 04:45 AM

I heard that Robert De Niro is hosting the special. Given his reputation and love of New York, I have high hopes that this will be a tasteful program. I plan on watching.

-Chris

#20 of 78 OFFLINE   DaveBB

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the most respectful thing CBS could do is to air the program sans commercials.

The promos over the weekend said "Prented with limited commerical interuptions by Nextel." So maybe it will be like Schindlers List and only have two or three breaks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow