Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wicker Man DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Justin Doring

Justin Doring

Screenwriter

• 1,468 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 10:59 AM

I've never seen The Wicker Man, but it sounds quite intriguing. As with many movies, it seems to be an "either you love it or you hate it" movie, and I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on it (Netflix and my local video stores don't carry it).

If one were to purchase The Wicker Man, which DVD would you recommend, the Special Edition 88 min. theatrical cut or the twice the price Limited Edition wooden box set with both the 88 min. theatrical and 99 min. extended version? I've heard some say that the video and sound quality on the extended version is terrible and that the extra footage doesn't add much to the film, while others say that the theatrical version is only a shadow of the extended version.

Thanks.
"Home is where the theater is!"

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 11:17 AM

I went for the LE box and I had never seen the film before. I consider it a good choice. I like the extended cut better.

If you end up going for the box, try Best Buy. Every time I go there, they always have tons of these on the shelves.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 11:29 AM

The LE is a win/win. Cool box, and the (better) longer version.

Martin.
Hopelessly out of date DVD Collection Listing

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor

• 520 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 11:59 AM

The extra footage was taken from a source that is not
up to grade vs. the standard version. Anchor Bay cuts
the new footage into the standard edition, so the extended
version jumps back and forth in video quality.

I like to compare different versions of the same movie.
Such as Apocalypse Now, Wild Side (R1 vs. R2), or
Touch of Evil (LD vs. DVD), so Wicker Man SE with both
versions is nice for ME.

Will you take the time to compare the two?
The extra footage fills out some story points, but is not
critical for the overall plot.

The plot itself brings up some very good points,
but the movie can have some very dated sections.
The songs and costumes are very 1973!

Do you think the issues of 2001 or Blade Runner still stands up?
Does The Birds still create some form of dread?
Is the Third Man still thrilling?

How you feel about older films that can have dated elements
will affect your opinion of The Wicker Man.

I like it for me.

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 02:16 PM

I have the Limited Edition. Having never seen the movie before the purchase, I found it to be quite good. The longer version is my preference, since it has more of a backstory at the beginning that makes you understand Edward Woodward's character better. The theatrical cut simply tosses you into the story without any background which I found a little unsettling...mind you, someone else could raise a convincing argument saying that was the point for the cuts in the first place. Either way, It's a great boxset.
Recently watched- Lethal Weapon, Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963)

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 02:17 PM

This is a very fun film, espeically if you have never viewed it before.

As already mentioned the extended cuts quality is highly variable and can be distracting at times jumping back and forth between footage sources. Overall though, when you combine the extended cut, and the cool wooden box it is a very nice set. (If you are worried about price, I have seen the LE wood case for sale at Best Buy for ~25 bucks).

J

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted February 28 2002 - 04:13 PM

Go for the boxed set but do yourself a favor and watch the short version first. The longer cut has some great scenes that should not be missed, but it also contains material that in my opinion gives away a little too much of the mystery, beats you over the head with points that are made elsewhere in the film, and could possibly spoil the ending. Posted Image

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Justin Doring

Justin Doring

Screenwriter

• 1,468 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies! My local Best Buy is getting a shipment of LEs next week, so I'll pick one up then.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 02:54 PM

Definitely the longer version. The background provided there gives more depth to the characters.

One thing about this film: It's been made out to be a horror film when it is no such thing at all. I found very little of "horror" in it.

What it is is a serious musical about religious belief. One must enjoy it, if at all, for what it is.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 01 2002 - 08:55 PM

hi justin, i was just wondering is your player multi region?

jonathan

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Kai Zas

Kai Zas

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 01:23 AM

The creators of The League of Gentlemen spoke of this movie. The first episode of the first season looks alot like it. Bought this movie on their recommendation. And I liked it a lot!!

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 01:38 AM

Quote:
hi justin, i was just wondering is your player multi region?

He's asking this question because, if it is, you maybe should wait for the UK release. It has a special feature exclusive to R2: An audio commentary with Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Director Robin Hardy and moderated by Mark Kermode. This commentary is available when playing the extended cut, so presumably that's also the director's prefered cut.

The downside, though, is that you will have to wait 'till April 22nd.
E-Mail | Collection

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 03:57 AM

Argh!!! I would LOVE to hear that commentary!!!

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a region-free player. I'm eyeballing those South Park and Futurama sets, too.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 07:06 AM

mark, were you reading my mindPosted Image or have you been putting off purchasing the current r1 version in anticipation of the r2 disc, from the press releases that i have read the only disapointing aspect of the release is the lack of the balsa wood stylee type packaging on the anchor bay edition r1, r2 gets a 'stunning double DVD digi-pack' instead so we will have to wait and see how the r2 packaging turns out whichever way i will be picking up the r2 release.

jonathan

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 07:14 AM

I got the LE but prefer the shorter cut of the film, which I found to be more mysterious and compelling and lacking a lot of spoilers and plot holes the longer version presents. I did, however, like having the option of choosing, and the wooden box rules.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted March 02 2002 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
I got the LE but prefer the shorter cut of the film, which I found to be more mysterious and compelling and lacking a lot of spoilers and plot holes the longer version presents.

Cutting out almost 15 minutes and then re-arranging the order of the remaining scenes would most likely make any movie more 'mysterious'... Posted Image

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted March 03 2002 - 09:50 PM

Quote:
have you been putting off purchasing the current r1 version in anticipation of the r2 disc ?

I had already bought the Wooden R1 set, when I found out a better version was on its way (always happens to me Posted Image ).
However, I don't think I will upgrade to the forthcoming R2 set, 'just' for the commentary.
E-Mail | Collection

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:35 AM

The extended aka the original cut is the one which the director wants you to see. The original isn't the true version, a bit like the Legend fiasco!

I think it was cut by the distributor, the director wasn't even there to supervise the theatrical cut editing! Christopher Lee was dismayed by the final results for theaters.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Justin Doring

Justin Doring

Screenwriter

• 1,468 posts

Posted March 05 2002 - 09:53 AM

Unfortunately I have a Region 1 only player.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 23 2004 - 08:44 AM

I have a question regarding the LE box of The Wicker Man:

How are the DVDs packaged? Are they in their own keepcases, or stored some other way?

Thanks.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow