What's new

Wicker Man DVD (1 Viewer)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I've never seen The Wicker Man, but it sounds quite intriguing. As with many movies, it seems to be an "either you love it or you hate it" movie, and I'm not sure if I want to take a chance on it (Netflix and my local video stores don't carry it).

If one were to purchase The Wicker Man, which DVD would you recommend, the Special Edition 88 min. theatrical cut or the twice the price Limited Edition wooden box set with both the 88 min. theatrical and 99 min. extended version? I've heard some say that the video and sound quality on the extended version is terrible and that the extra footage doesn't add much to the film, while others say that the theatrical version is only a shadow of the extended version.

Thanks.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I went for the LE box and I had never seen the film before. I consider it a good choice. I like the extended cut better.

If you end up going for the box, try Best Buy. Every time I go there, they always have tons of these on the shelves.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
The extra footage was taken from a source that is not

up to grade vs. the standard version. Anchor Bay cuts

the new footage into the standard edition, so the extended

version jumps back and forth in video quality.

I like to compare different versions of the same movie.

Such as Apocalypse Now, Wild Side (R1 vs. R2), or

Touch of Evil (LD vs. DVD), so Wicker Man SE with both

versions is nice for ME.

Will you take the time to compare the two?

The extra footage fills out some story points, but is not

critical for the overall plot.

The plot itself brings up some very good points,

but the movie can have some very dated sections.

The songs and costumes are very 1973!

Do you think the issues of 2001 or Blade Runner still stands up?

Does The Birds still create some form of dread?

Is the Third Man still thrilling?

How you feel about older films that can have dated elements

will affect your opinion of The Wicker Man.

I like it for me.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
This is a very fun film, espeically if you have never viewed it before.

As already mentioned the extended cuts quality is highly variable and can be distracting at times jumping back and forth between footage sources. Overall though, when you combine the extended cut, and the cool wooden box it is a very nice set. (If you are worried about price, I have seen the LE wood case for sale at Best Buy for ~25 bucks).

J

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Go for the boxed set but do yourself a favor and watch the short version first. The longer cut has some great scenes that should not be missed, but it also contains material that in my opinion gives away a little too much of the mystery, beats you over the head with points that are made elsewhere in the film, and could possibly spoil the ending. :frowning:

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the replies! My local Best Buy is getting a shipment of LEs next week, so I'll pick one up then.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Definitely the longer version. The background provided there gives more depth to the characters.
One thing about this film: It's been made out to be a horror film when it is no such thing at all. I found very little of "horror" in it.
What it is is a serious musical about religious belief. One must enjoy it, if at all, for what it is.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
The creators of The League of Gentlemen spoke of this movie. The first episode of the first season looks alot like it. Bought this movie on their recommendation. And I liked it a lot!!

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
hi justin, i was just wondering is your player multi region?
He's asking this question because, if it is, you maybe should wait for the UK release. It has a special feature exclusive to R2: An audio commentary with Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Director Robin Hardy and moderated by Mark Kermode. This commentary is available when playing the extended cut, so presumably that's also the director's prefered cut.

The downside, though, is that you will have to wait 'till April 22nd.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Argh!!! I would LOVE to hear that commentary!!!

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a region-free player. I'm eyeballing those South Park and Futurama sets, too.

JonathanSimpson

Stunt Coordinator
mark, were you reading my mind;) or have you been putting off purchasing the current r1 version in anticipation of the r2 disc, from the press releases that i have read the only disapointing aspect of the release is the lack of the balsa wood stylee type packaging on the anchor bay edition r1, r2 gets a 'stunning double DVD digi-pack' instead so we will have to wait and see how the r2 packaging turns out whichever way i will be picking up the r2 release.
jonathan

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I got the LE but prefer the shorter cut of the film, which I found to be more mysterious and compelling and lacking a lot of spoilers and plot holes the longer version presents. I did, however, like having the option of choosing, and the wooden box rules.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I got the LE but prefer the shorter cut of the film, which I found to be more mysterious and compelling and lacking a lot of spoilers and plot holes the longer version presents.
Cutting out almost 15 minutes and then re-arranging the order of the remaining scenes would most likely make any movie more 'mysterious'... :D

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
have you been putting off purchasing the current r1 version in anticipation of the r2 disc ?
I had already bought the Wooden R1 set, when I found out a better version was on its way (always happens to me :rolleyes:).
However, I don't think I will upgrade to the forthcoming R2 set, 'just' for the commentary.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The extended aka the original cut is the one which the director wants you to see. The original isn't the true version, a bit like the Legend fiasco!

I think it was cut by the distributor, the director wasn't even there to supervise the theatrical cut editing! Christopher Lee was dismayed by the final results for theaters.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have a question regarding the LE box of The Wicker Man:

How are the DVDs packaged? Are they in their own keepcases, or stored some other way?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks