What's new

*** Official "40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for 40 Days and 40 Nights. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of 40 Days and 40 Nights should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Looks to me like a movie targeting teens involving a lot of seduction and boy fantasy.
It appears to be a story about a guy (Hartman from Pearl Harbor) who is willing to give up sex and sexual activities for 40 days to cleanse himself when he meets a special someone. His friends then bet and start a pool that he will not last that long in addition to girls finding out about the secret.
Then girls then try to seduce him because they want to regain their "power".
My guess is the rest of the story involves the guy struggling for the love of his special girl, losing the bet in the end, but not caring that he lost since he's found love.
err I'm prob gonna see resident evil instead.. more use of the theatres THX sound. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Makes you wonder who pitched this movie: "OK, so we have one of today's hot, young, handsome actors, a Josh Hartnett type, and the whole film is about him not having sex."
I know of a number of guys who could realistically portray a man not having sex and would do so for a much lower salary than they probably paid Hartnett. :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's directed by the man who directed Heathers (his name escapes me at the moment), so it has to be decent. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's directed by the man who directed Heathers (his name escapes me at the moment), so it has to be decent.
Matt - That argument may have worked ten years ago, but Michael Lehmann is also responsible for Meet the Applegates, Hudson Hawk, Airheads and My Giant! (Ok, he also directed the surprisngly cool Truth about Cats and Dogs... )
I was shocked to discover myself enjoying 40 Days and 40 Nights! It's a bit better than it looks (it would have to be), there are several funny moments, and it's quite a sexy movie! Not likely to be one of the year's best, but I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.
As a matter of fact, I did! (Check the appropriate thread for my full review.) :)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Take that back again, Meet the Applegates rocks even more ass than Howard the Duck. How can you go wrong with a movie that has Kelly Bundy and the rest of her family turning into freaking huge cockroaches. Witnesst the drama as cockroach Kelly gets knocked up and her brother becomes a roach with a roach of his own after becoming addicted to weed. Great stuff!! :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Spoilers below:

Is it just me, why was there not any backlash to when the guy's ex-girlfriend rapes him in order to win the money she bet on his "getting off" before his self-imposed 40 days/nights period of celibacy?

Okay movie, but almost immediately forgettable.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I saw this film this weekend and thought that it was just a charming little film. I really enjoyed it and I think this is the film that will really let Hartnett break out.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
It's the perfect chick flick, but made for guys. Let me explain. Girlfriends want to go see it because it has a love story and Josh Hartnett (aww sappy) and guys grumble and say ok we can go. But never fear men there are enough boobies in it to keep you interested.LOL
:D
jay

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
It is interesting, though, that rape becomes a non-issue when it's female-on-male. There's no way that a movie could get away with this kind of passivity if it were the other way around. I'm not saying this is a flaw in the film, if anything 40 Days and 40 Nights is one of the few recent romantic comedies that's actually honest in its portrait of gender divide.

Mark

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting, though, that rape becomes a non-issue when it's female-on-male. There's no way that a movie could get away with this kind of passivity if it were the other way around. I'm not saying this is a flaw in the film, if anything 40 Days and 40 Nights is one of the few recent romantic comedies that's actually honest in its portrait of gender divide.
Having been a rape counselor, I was very offended. Very offended. There are instances where men (and boys) are raped - and sometimes abused by women. It's not as often as women being raped by men, but it does happen. And in most states, men have no legal recourse. More then that, there is a great deal of shame involved that hinders the whole process as most people won't believe them - I've met with people who were traumatized over events. I found the entire moment distasteful and way out of bounds; if the idea was that this was supposed to happen then there should have been far more emotional reckonings then there were.

It cheapened the film and denegrated the characters by making light work of a serious - and difficult issue.

Imagine any other film having a woman get raped near the end and then have her and the rapist show up in a simple "frown at each other" type moment a few minutes later. Wouldn't you feel bothered?

40 Days and 40 Nights started off with a bad premise (give this guy a toddler and he'll find 40 days and 40 nights can go by real fast) and offered vapid, dreary dialog with absolutely nothing to remember and little redeemable qualities.

The rape moment ranks as one of the few moments I've ever watched a film and been downright offended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks