What's new

!!! Apology to those that posted SUPPORT threads concerning the American tragedy !!! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
At 5am this morning I awoke to a good
handful of complaints in my email box about
members who were clearly going over the edge
in their comments about the terrorist tragedy.
There were angry posts against arabs, as
well as other posts making personal political
statements.
I and Steve Simon had to get in here early
this morning and clean this area up. This
included having to close at least half a
dozen threads.
In the process of closing these threads, we
accidently deleted a few of them. Understand
that we had so much editing to do this morning
that it was very easy to accidently close or
delete threads that perhaps should not have
been closed.
It has been brought to my attention that one
of those threads was from our overseas members
who wished to send condolences to our American
members.
It appears that thread was accidently deleted,
and I would like to apologize, as it was most
likely my fault.
We do not want to appear to be unsympathetic to
members who wish to reach out to others in this
matter. Please understand, that as always, there
are those who take advantage of decent threads
and interject their own personal political jabs.
While we have initiated a policy that limits
the sort of discussion about the terrorist activity,
we invite members to start threads of SUPPORT
to each other as long as they do not get
political. Please read the GUIDELINES ANNOUNCEMENT
above.
Thank You
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ron,
I think I speak for all of us when I say that we understand what a difficult job you have all had to do over the past few days (not to mention having to read some stuff that was completely offensive, which most of us have been spared from).
Nobody's perfect.
I am very appreciative of the fact that we are able to discuss this whole thing at all here on HTF. Even though I've not met any of the people on here in person, and even though we all disagree from time to time, this was one of the first places I came where I knew I would find some comfort.
Thanks. :)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hey Ron,
Stuff happens. Don't sweat it. The vast majority of us understand how difficult it is to run a site like this and appreciate you & everyone else who work to keep the HTF running.
That said, I wonder how hard it would be to develop a sort of system that logs member "incidents". Instead of closing entire threads, the offending posts could be deleted and an "incident" added. If someone gets x incidents in x period of time, consequences (account suspension, etc) then follow. Just a thought. (Although I probably just racked up my own incident by not posting this in Forum Feedback..) :)
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Ron, I thinks that it was my thread that was accidentally closed. I can fully understand that things needed to be sorted out on the forum, and can appreciate how easy it is to accidentally delete things - I've done it often enough on my own PC.
During these emotional times, we all look for someone to blame, to lash out at and to exact revenge upon. Unfortunately some people hit first and ask questions later. Moslem people in Britain have had abuse thrown at them, and even had excrement pushed thorugh their letter boxes! One of our politicians summed things up today:- Their are evil people and extemists in ALL areas of society, and from ALL religions. These people are not a reflection on their society as a whole.
I have always regarded HTF as a place where intelligent debate and discussion can occur. People use their real names, and although I have never met any of the people, I somehow feel connected to the people on here. Their are familiar names (and faces) who contribute. If a few threads have been deleted in error to maintain the forum, then so be it.
I know nobody personally America but was saddened and shocked about the events that have occured this week.
With your permission Ron, I'd like to re-start my thread, offering a message of condolence to the people of America.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks