What's new

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Ok,so we lost about 200 posts regarding the Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro due to the crash. Anyone recall what was said verbatim?:D
Damn, and we were just catching up to that Outlaw thread too!!!
Anyway, set this thread up for those of us who will receive the unit soon so they can post their thoughts.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
So much for the longest thread you ever started. ;)
It was starting to work on me too. Good thing I don't have a dealer nearby.
Christian
Edit: Wrong smiley face. :b

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
For those of you considering this unit, I thought I would post a link to the three major reviews that are presently out there regarding the AVM-20. I will post more as they become available.
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...them_avm20.htm
Link Removed
There is also another review from E-gear that is posted on the sonic frontiers website but it is in a PDF file format and I cannot post a link here. Hope that helps.:emoji_thumbsup:

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'm so hooked I went and printed out the 70 page owners manual. I'm not obsessed. I'm dedicated.:D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hey Evan, since you seem to be the resident advocate for the AVM20 on HTF, please keep us informed on the status of the chip upgrade. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Rob, seems like I've taken de facto control in regards to this unit. Will do. The chip upgrade is totally dependant on Motorola fixing the bugs and coding the new chip for DPL II and DTS-ES. Word of mouth says this is not going as quickly as expected. I know that the timeframe is late spring, but I wouldn't be surprised if Anthem combined the two upgrades (stage 1 - DTS-ES and DPL II) and (Stage 2 - THX Ultra 2) and combined them into one major upgrade to minimize customer/dealer interaction in regards to this unit. This is just speculation on my part, but if the Motorola upgrade gets further delays, I would be upset as a customer to have to take my unit in for the upgrade in June, then have to take it back there again in August for an upgrade to THX Ultra 2 specifications. As always, I will post my thoughts on the unit and any new news as it develops.:D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Stevie, I have an Anthem MCA-5 Series II that I will mate with the AVM-20 for the time being. In the next year I plan to add a dedicated 3 channel amp for the front L/R/C and use the MCA-5 to power my two sets of surrounds. That will leave an 8th channel free to power a SVS 25-31CS+ that I will be getting in early 2003.

Right now, contenders for the three channel amp will be either a used Aragon 8008x3, Parasound 2003A, or maybe one of the new series of Anthem Amps...the MCA-30.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I'm going to be using a Rotel RMB985mkII 5 ch/110W amp. If I max that out, I'll probably go with the 1095 (like Legairre's amp). But we'll see how it goes. Lots of quality amps out there.

Bob

Brandon B

Second Unit
Evan -

I would reconsider powering an SVS off one channel of a multichannel amp. While it will probably work reasonably well, you should at least compare it with powering it off a separate amp.

I was running a small (10") sub off a channel of a 3 channel amp, and went to a separate amp of greater power, the bass capabilities of the unit were drastically increased.

To be fair, I was running a pair of magneplanars off the other 2 channels, and the amp I switched to had 4 times the power of the multi channel amp, but at any volume level the difference was night and day (truly, not just as a figure od speech). Also, I believe the SVS is rather more efficient than the driver I was using. Still you should do a comparison if you can borrow an amp from somone.

BB

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
What are some other pre/pros besides the Anthem and the Outlaw that you guys would put on the short list? (I'm glad I'm catching this thread in it's infancy!!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Rotel 1066, Sherbourn/Atlantic Tech (950 clones), Integra RDC7 (much more $$$). Those are the major ones discussed in the past month or so.

Did I miss any?:b

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know how much an Anthem MCA50 goes for? Would it be overkill to use it for surrounds (Paradigm Studio/20 and Studio/ADP) or is the PVA5 more suitable?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken the MCA50 is rated at 225 watts with only one channel driven. With all channels driven it's around 170wpc. Why would a company rate an amp with just one channel driven? Two I could understand, but one?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
The MCA-50 is rated at 180 with all channels driven.

Ron, I would think you would be better off with the PVA series for surround duty. I DO think it will be overkill to drive those with all the power of a 50. I think the 50 retails for 2 grand, but if you want the extra power, try to get an MCA-5...you can find those for around $1000 to handle your surround duty. Nice compromise there.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I would look at it as a best/worse case scenario. Max power out of one channel driven is 225 W. Worst case is 170 W with all channels driven.

Yes, two channels makes more common sense, but from a specification standpoint, that's the way it should be done.

I also think that for a multiple channel amp, you don't necessarily assume that two channels will be used. I would assume that all channels would be used. The single channel rating gives you the other datapoint.

Specifically, if 2-4 channels on that MCA-5 are used, then the available power from each channels should be somewhere in between 170 and 225W.

I hope that make sense.

Bob

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings everyone.
Just to add to the amp choice, I too was in the market for a new amp and had originally decided to use an MCA 5 Series II with my soon to arrive AVM-20 but isntead opted for a MCA-30 (more power, more "refined") to power my surrounds (Studio 20's) and maybe use the extra channel for a passive sub that I have a too later pick up a used SVS.
My main subwoofer will be my newly purchased Martin Logan Descent subwoofer (haven't had a chance to test it out yet since I don't have a pre/pro....if it doesn't live up to the hype -- they say just as good as a HGS-18 down low -- then it will be returned for a full refund and I will pick up dual SVS Ultras and hope that my SO doesn't tell me to get out of the house :) ). My front stage is Paradigm Active 40 and Active CC.
-- Curtis

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis,

Your speaker setup is almost like mine, Active40s and CC up front and Studio/20s in the rear. I am using a Servo-15 for the bass. I am planning to add a pair of Studio/ADPs so I'll need an amp for them. In the meantime I'm going to use my Denon 3300 for the rears. Isn't that ridiculous or what?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
hey legairre, i didn't print out the owner's manual, but i did save the pdf on my computer to read at another time. not that i can afford the thing right now, but i thought i'd at least read up on what it can do.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, Legairre,
Could you please read the manual and confirm this for me? There is NO DIGITAL output via Toslink (Optical)??? Am I reading the manual correctly?!? :frowning:
I have an MD player/recorder and it only accepts DIGITAL via OPTICAL cable NOT COAX... Please tell me, I'm reading the manual wrong... :frowning:
-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks