Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 of 153 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 12:17 AM

Ok,so we lost about 200 posts regarding the Anthem AVM-20 pre/pro due to the crash. Anyone recall what was said verbatim?Posted Image

Damn, and we were just catching up to that Outlaw thread too!!!

Anyway, set this thread up for those of us who will receive the unit soon so they can post their thoughts.
searching for that elusive, "perfect" sound.

#2 of 153 OFFLINE   Christian Speights

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 02:08 AM

So much for the longest thread you ever started. Posted Image

It was starting to work on me too. Good thing I don't have a dealer nearby.

Christian

Edit: Wrong smiley face. :b
Nature abhors a vacuum. I happen to like mine.

#3 of 153 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 02:33 AM

For those of you considering this unit, I thought I would post a link to the three major reviews that are presently out there regarding the AVM-20. I will post more as they become available.

http://www.hometheat....them_avm20.htm

http://www.hometheat....0-12-2001.html

There is also another review from E-gear that is posted on the sonic frontiers website but it is in a PDF file format and I cannot post a link here. Hope that helps.Posted Image

#4 of 153 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 03:06 AM

I'm so hooked I went and printed out the 70 page owners manual. I'm not obsessed. I'm dedicated.Posted Image

#5 of 153 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 04:20 AM

Hey Evan, since you seem to be the resident advocate for the AVM20 on HTF, please keep us informed on the status of the chip upgrade. Posted Image

#6 of 153 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 04:39 AM

Rob, seems like I've taken de facto control in regards to this unit. Will do. The chip upgrade is totally dependant on Motorola fixing the bugs and coding the new chip for DPL II and DTS-ES. Word of mouth says this is not going as quickly as expected. I know that the timeframe is late spring, but I wouldn't be surprised if Anthem combined the two upgrades (stage 1 - DTS-ES and DPL II) and (Stage 2 - THX Ultra 2) and combined them into one major upgrade to minimize customer/dealer interaction in regards to this unit. This is just speculation on my part, but if the Motorola upgrade gets further delays, I would be upset as a customer to have to take my unit in for the upgrade in June, then have to take it back there again in August for an upgrade to THX Ultra 2 specifications. As always, I will post my thoughts on the unit and any new news as it develops.Posted Image

#7 of 153 OFFLINE   StevieC

StevieC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 05:53 AM

What amplifier are you all planning on matching with the AVM20 ?

#8 of 153 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 06:00 AM

Stevie, I have an Anthem MCA-5 Series II that I will mate with the AVM-20 for the time being. In the next year I plan to add a dedicated 3 channel amp for the front L/R/C and use the MCA-5 to power my two sets of surrounds. That will leave an 8th channel free to power a SVS 25-31CS+ that I will be getting in early 2003.

Right now, contenders for the three channel amp will be either a used Aragon 8008x3, Parasound 2003A, or maybe one of the new series of Anthem Amps...the MCA-30.

#9 of 153 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 06:21 AM

I'm going to be using a Rotel RMB985mkII 5 ch/110W amp. If I max that out, I'll probably go with the 1095 (like Legairre's amp). But we'll see how it goes. Lots of quality amps out there.

Bob

#10 of 153 OFFLINE   Brandon B

Brandon B

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 07:26 AM

Evan -

I would reconsider powering an SVS off one channel of a multichannel amp. While it will probably work reasonably well, you should at least compare it with powering it off a separate amp.

I was running a small (10") sub off a channel of a 3 channel amp, and went to a separate amp of greater power, the bass capabilities of the unit were drastically increased.

To be fair, I was running a pair of magneplanars off the other 2 channels, and the amp I switched to had 4 times the power of the multi channel amp, but at any volume level the difference was night and day (truly, not just as a figure od speech). Also, I believe the SVS is rather more efficient than the driver I was using. Still you should do a comparison if you can borrow an amp from somone.

BB

#11 of 153 OFFLINE   Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 07:50 AM

What are some other pre/pros besides the Anthem and the Outlaw that you guys would put on the short list? (I'm glad I'm catching this thread in it's infancy!!
Did you say 1.21 jigawatts!?!

#12 of 153 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 07:57 AM

Rotel 1066, Sherbourn/Atlantic Tech (950 clones), Integra RDC7 (much more $$$). Those are the major ones discussed in the past month or so.

Did I miss any?:b

#13 of 153 OFFLINE   Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 08:42 AM

Anyone know how much an Anthem MCA50 goes for? Would it be overkill to use it for surrounds (Paradigm Studio/20 and Studio/ADP) or is the PVA5 more suitable?

#14 of 153 OFFLINE   Legairre

Legairre

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 08:53 AM

If I'm not mistaken the MCA50 is rated at 225 watts with only one channel driven. With all channels driven it's around 170wpc. Why would a company rate an amp with just one channel driven? Two I could understand, but one?

#15 of 153 OFFLINE   Evan S

Evan S

Screenwriter

• 2,211 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 09:15 AM

The MCA-50 is rated at 180 with all channels driven.

Ron, I would think you would be better off with the PVA series for surround duty. I DO think it will be overkill to drive those with all the power of a 50. I think the 50 retails for 2 grand, but if you want the extra power, try to get an MCA-5...you can find those for around $1000 to handle your surround duty. Nice compromise there.

#16 of 153 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 09:20 AM

I would look at it as a best/worse case scenario. Max power out of one channel driven is 225 W. Worst case is 170 W with all channels driven.

Yes, two channels makes more common sense, but from a specification standpoint, that's the way it should be done.

I also think that for a multiple channel amp, you don't necessarily assume that two channels will be used. I would assume that all channels would be used. The single channel rating gives you the other datapoint.

Specifically, if 2-4 channels on that MCA-5 are used, then the available power from each channels should be somewhere in between 170 and 225W.

I hope that make sense.

Bob

#17 of 153 OFFLINE   Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 09:22 AM

Greetings everyone.

Just to add to the amp choice, I too was in the market for a new amp and had originally decided to use an MCA 5 Series II with my soon to arrive AVM-20 but isntead opted for a MCA-30 (more power, more "refined") to power my surrounds (Studio 20's) and maybe use the extra channel for a passive sub that I have a too later pick up a used SVS.

My main subwoofer will be my newly purchased Martin Logan Descent subwoofer (haven't had a chance to test it out yet since I don't have a pre/pro....if it doesn't live up to the hype -- they say just as good as a HGS-18 down low -- then it will be returned for a full refund and I will pick up dual SVS Ultras and hope that my SO doesn't tell me to get out of the house Posted Image ). My front stage is Paradigm Active 40 and Active CC.

-- Curtis
-- CUE
"Without Struggle There Is No Progress!!"

#18 of 153 OFFLINE   Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 09:54 AM

Curtis,

Your speaker setup is almost like mine, Active40s and CC up front and Studio/20s in the rear. I am using a Servo-15 for the bass. I am planning to add a pair of Studio/ADPs so I'll need an amp for them. In the meantime I'm going to use my Denon 3300 for the rears. Isn't that ridiculous or what?

#19 of 153 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 02:34 PM

hey legairre, i didn't print out the owner's manual, but i did save the pdf on my computer to read at another time. not that i can afford the thing right now, but i thought i'd at least read up on what it can do.

#20 of 153 OFFLINE   Alex Yang

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 03:06 PM

Evan, Legairre,

Could you please read the manual and confirm this for me? There is NO DIGITAL output via Toslink (Optical)??? Am I reading the manual correctly?!? Posted Image

I have an MD player/recorder and it only accepts DIGITAL via OPTICAL cable NOT COAX... Please tell me, I'm reading the manual wrong... Posted Image

-Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users