What's new

*** Official Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro DISCUSSION Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
No, I don't have one yet. But I hope you do and can post your impressions here.

One of my local dealers said he could order one for me, but the store itself hadn't ordered any yet because they have older Rotel (the 985) they want to move out first. Another dealer has promised to call me has soon as his store gets them in later this week.

I willing to give it a spin as soon as I can, but I'm hoping some of the more experienced members get ahold of it first. Any review I write is likely to be worthless to most of you as I can only compare it to an old pro-logic Denon receiver, my memory of a high end two channel tube system I've heard on occasion, and the inexpensive Kenwood HTB-504 theater in a box.

Will,

If my memory is functioning properly your info reveals that you live in the Los Angeles area. Can you recommend any Los Angeles area Rotel dealers other than Sound Factor (Pasadena), Leigh Adams Discount Sales (Rancho Cucamonga), or Elite Audio/Video (Upland)? Thanks.

-Steve

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I was away for a few days on vacation.... was there anything new on this unit that I may have missing since I posted the specs in the old thread last Thurday?

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Why yes I did Legairre, actually that is were I got the information that I posted in the old thread with the specs of the unit. I was hoping someone may have had a chance to actually listen to one of these units.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'm in CT and my usual dealer is an hour and a half away up in Mass. Check out the "Rotel RSP-1066 + Paradigm or Anthem AVM-20" thread. You'll see my problem.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
A question while we wait for firsthand feedback:

I've been paying attention to all of the concerns about the 1066's reported lack of true analog bypass. I understand that if the source signal is converted/processed it will be degraded, and therefore a processor with true analog bypass such as the Outlaw 950 will likely sound better in music applications. What I don't know is how the sound of the processed(?) signal such as that in the Rotel 976 or 985 pre/pro (and possibly in the 1066) compares to the sound of a mid-range receiver (Denon 3802, for instance). Is the sound of the Rotel pre/pros considered inferior in general, or just inferior relative to other pre/pros with true analog bypass? For that matter, is true analog bypass a standard feature on a decent receiver? Thanks.

-Steve

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I know people say the sound is degraded, but Evan and I both thought that the AVM-20 sounded noticeably better when using the Anthem's DACs in stead of pure analog. The CD player was a Marantz DV9200 I think. Don't quote me on the model number of the player I could be wrong, but it was a Marantz DVD-A player. According to the salesman it was only 6 months old so it must have been a faily recent model. I've heard it with my own ears. Some DACs in pre/pros do sound better than pure analog. At least to me they did.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Larry,

This is a quote from the email my dealer sent me on the 1066

We do have this unit set-up and tested in our soundroom (ITS A WOW!) We got just one so far but more are expected shortly.
I guess I'll find out if he's telling the truth this weekend.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Larry, we did listen to Paradigm's in the Anthem auditions. Only we listened to Linn Espek's first and then switched over. I think Legairre will remember how the 40's with the Anthem can compare to the 60's with the Rotel.

Spearit carries B&W and Thiel, so maybe he can hear how the Rotel sounds with the CDM line or maybe on a pair of CS1.6's.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
With the AVM-20 we used some $3200 Linns and the Paradigm Stuidio 40s. I'll really remember the 40s. Nice scrisp top end, but a little weak on the bass. Throw in a sub and they would have been perfect. The sub they used wasn't properly dialed in. When I go listen I'll try to forget the Linns and just remember the 40s. As a matter of fact I'll even ask the dealer to setup some 40s if he has them.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I could be wrong but I think the main concern with the pass-thru thing has to do with DVD-A and SACD (or what ever Sony’s thing is called) that I guess you are not supposed to process (in any way, shape or form) and send direct to the amps?

In any event I am very much looking forward to hearing what the impressions of this Rotel RSP-1066 are and I am wondering.... how have past Rotel Pre/Pro's rated compared to similar units made by other manufactures?

Also since the unit is actually available when and were do you think we will see some “professional reviews” of the unit? And yes I would rather hear what you guys have to say about it but sometime the professional ones can have some good stuff on the feature set of the units.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Mark,
I know that everyone is pass thu crazy(no offense), but for me I could careless about the whole pass thru issue. I'm not into SACD or DVD-A. I'm not looking to offend anyone here, but IMO there just isn't enough GOOD music on these formats for me to invest in them. When more good titles come out then I'll consider it. Also i don't own a $1000 CD player or will I be buying a $1000 CD player anytime in my forseeable future. That's why good DACS are so important too me. I'll be using the DACs and using them a lot. So they need to sound good.
Like I said. I don't mean to offend anyone who is into SACD or DVD-A or has a great CD player and cares about the pass thu. We all have different priorities. These are just mine.
I'm also interested to hear what the mags have to say about the Rotel.
OK guys, I've got my flame suit on and I'm ready for the cookout. I like my Legairre well done with a lots of Bullseye. Lots of Bullseye.:D

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
"I know that everyone is pass thu crazy(no offense), but for me I could careless about the whole pass thru issue."
Well I am with U there Legairre as I also currently do not have SACD or DVD-A for the same reason as U! Now get me some Pink Floyd or Alan Parsons on DVD-A then we will talk! ;)
I do like to have all my options open and I do try and look into the future to see what "next gadget" I am going to throw my hard earned cash at but I think for this DVD-A jump I am going to wait to see how the whole fire-wire issue thing pans out and then make a call. :)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Legairre, if analog bypass isnt an issue for you then have you ever considered the Lexicon. Hell of a home theater pre.

I had the sony 555es sacd player and sold it due to the fact that there where only about 30 titles I was interested in. But when the Pioneer 47a dvd player comes out{dvd-audio/sacd combo} I may have to reconsider,as dvd-audio and sacd combined might make for a decent collection.

For redbook play back I would think any of these pre-pros mentioned would have good enough dacs to not be a big difference between units... Specs such as s/n etc would come into play more then dacs in my opinion. Dacs are fairly inexpensive and this technology has came a long way lately

Neville

Grip
Well I have in my possession a Rotel RSP-1066. The dealer is letting me audition it at home until this Saturday. I will take the time to post my comments after I have had a chance to really give it a good listening to.

Of course the guys had to make it really difficult on me. As I was walking out the door, he knew I had been really interested in the Classe SSP-30 piece, but that I just wasn't willing to spend that much. So what does he do, as I am leaving he tells me if I am interested he will order me an SSP-30 for at a very good price. The Rotel is going for $1500 + Tax. I hate it when they do this to me. I think I may end going with the Classe piece regardless. I hope I am not being foolish on that decision, but the price he is offering the unit at is a really really good price .

What do you guys think. If you had the money would you opt for the Classe piece at that price range or would you stick to your budget and pass. I just hate to kick myself this time next year for passing up on that deal if it is as good as I think it is.

Thoughts appreciated. I will make sure I get back here and let you guys know what my impressions are of the Rotel piece.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I thought that it was highlighted in a previous (now long gone thread) that the Rotel used AKM DACs and ADCs and that they they are a notch down from Outlaw and Anthem in performance.

The best Rotel used were 24/96 for one of ADC or DAC, but Outlaw is using 24/192 for both ADCs and DACs.

I think John Morris or someone did the research.

To me, this is a real issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks