Photo

Component Cables for the PS2 and Xbox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 12:23 PM

Is there a discernable advantage to using component cables as compared to s-video for either the PS2 or XBox? I'm looking at TV's right now and I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for two (2) component inputs... I'm not planning on using either for DVD playback.

From other posts here and information gleaned elsewhere it seems that component cables would be worth it for the XBox, but not the PS2. The question then remains, Is it worth the extra $200-$300 to upgrade to such a TV? (Price differential is, obviously, approximate. I'm looking at several sets, most with only one set of component inputs, most recently a Hitachi 36UDX10S and a Sony Wega KV-36HS20)

Thanks!

#2 of 13 Camp

Camp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 01:21 PM

IMO, the difference between Component and S-video with a non-progressive source (PS2) is pretty subtle (if I'm noticing anything at all).

There is a much more noticable difference between Component and S-video in progressive scan situations (I've tried this comparison with my Gamecube but have only comared Component and Composite with my Xbox).
Still, the difference isn't as great as what I see in progressive versus interlaced DVD viewing.

#3 of 13 Scott L

Scott L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 03:20 PM

I see better color definition switching between component and s-video on the Cube. As for the PS2, I bought the Monster S-vid for $35 when I didn't have a TV with component ins and I don't think it's worth it now to spend that much on upgrading to component (being the poor college student that I am). I don't have an s-vid cable for the Xbox but I'm guessing similar results.

I'd recommend getting a TV with 2 inputs just for future upgradability. Use 1 for your DVD player and the other for conneting a component switcher for all your consoles.

Believe me, it is a PAIN to keep manually switching inputs for the PS2/DC or GC/Xbox. I really need a switcher, but you know my predicament. Posted Image

#4 of 13 Kip

Kip

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted February 26 2002 - 06:19 PM

I agree with Camp for the most part. You gain the most with games and televisions that support progressive scan. This is of course most obvious with the XBox and Gamecube.

It is worth noting that I've used my PS2 with both Monster s-video and component connections. With a game like FFX there was a definite drop off using s-video on my TV (Wega XBR400 36). However, as like the rest of us I have a limited number of component connections (three total). I have given them to the XBox and Gamecube and moved the PS2 back to s-video (third connection goes to DVD). You absolutely get the most bang for the buck with progressive scan games. Tough choice, but that's life. Posted Image

Kip

#5 of 13 MikeM

MikeM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted February 27 2002 - 04:40 AM

Why not use a video switch box for all of your component connections?

This way, all of your component connections can be on one Video Input on your TV. The Radio Shack A/V Selectors should do the job at $59.

I'd also suggest an audio Toslink switch box as well from them. It's $29.

#6 of 13 Patrick Cornel

Patrick Cornel

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 22 2003 - 05:04 AM

Really? Do you know the name of the product? I wouldn't think that a component switcher under 200 clams would pass high enough bandwidth to carry a progressive signal....

If it works well, I just might pick one up.

--PCorn

#7 of 13 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted January 22 2003 - 05:55 AM

Yes there is a difference between what you see using the s-video as opposed to the component when playing dvd's or the xbox games. There is also a difference between running the audio from the xbox of the optical outputs as opposed to the analog.

As for multiple component outputs if you run out of components inputs in your TV you could always get a reciever with 2 - 3 component inputs and opticle inputs, then run one component line to your TV.

Then you can spend even more money on a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system so you can benifit from the optical audio connection your making from the Xbox to the reciever.

It all comes down to what your happy with and how much money you want/can/need to spend to be a little more happy.

ways to save money if your going to spend a couple of hundred on a video switcher you might want to consider paying a little bit more ($50 or so) for a A/V Reciever capable of 5.1 DD decoding with multiple component inputs. You can also save some money by making your own component cables.

#8 of 13 Doug Morrison

Doug Morrison

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 04:54 AM

anyone know if ps2 component cables are progressive quality with DVD's??

#9 of 13 Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted January 27 2003 - 03:55 PM

Quote:
Really? Do you know the name of the product? I wouldn't think that a component switcher under 200 clams would pass high enough bandwidth to carry a progressive signal....
I bought a HipGear S-video switchbox for $14.99 from CompUSA and connect my Xbox, PS2 and GameCube using component cables into the composite inputs. There is no degredation of the signals that I can see. I don't think bandwidth is a problem with a passive switchbox (maybe with 720p or 1080i, but not 480p). With more PS2 games being 480p, I think component cables ($19.99 at CompUSA) are a good buy.

#10 of 13 Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted January 27 2003 - 04:09 PM

Quote:
anyone know if ps2 component cables are progressive quality with DVD's??

There is no progressive scan support for DVD's on the PS2.

Sean

#11 of 13 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 03:46 AM

http://www.audioauth...mers/1154c.html

Automatically switches four component sources with digital audio (coax and toslink mixed-and-matched and converted to both for output).

Yeah, it's a couple hundred bucks. But man is it sweet!

#12 of 13 Doug Morrison

Doug Morrison

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 04:54 AM

I will probably just use an svideo cable for my ps2...anyone have any of the cheaper ones?? Not looking to spend a ton on "Monster" Cable with a "Monster" Price..Thanks!

#13 of 13 Doug Morrison

Doug Morrison

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted January 28 2003 - 04:59 AM

good buys:

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=900352

http://www.gamestop....oduct_id=900347

what do you guys think of these?

Forum Nav Content I Follow