What's new

Pay no attention to that gear behind the curtain! (Bose Demo story.) (1 Viewer)

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
And this is what happened...
I was at a local electronics store looking to buy some computer parts and I heard over the PA that Bose was giving a Home Theater demo in the "Bose Sound Room." So I said what the hey, and I stopped by, grabbed a "ticket," and went on in. The presentation was a slide show and accompanying sound through the Bose Lifestyle home theater system. They did a good job of marketing the system, and it all sounded reasonably good considering it was carefully designed to emphasize the strenths of the system. They had their cubes disguised behind large shells to look like big speakers, whereupon they proceeded to remove the shells at the end while everyone (present company excluded) sat in awe that the sound wasn't *really* coming from tower sized speakers. Never mind that almost anyone would be fooled into thinking that *any* brand of small speakers sound like large speakers without an actual side by side comparison. Even then, without considering base extension, the difference can be subtle.
Speaking of base extension, the Bose rep showed the audience how their "base module" was designed to put out base so that it sounded if it was coming from all over. In other words, Bose apparently invented the fact that low frequency sound is non-directional. I just thought you all should know that, because there is a lot of misinformation floating around here. :D
Anyway, on to the *really* amusing part. During the demo, the spotlight shone on the Bose "receiver" - the sleak, silvery electronic hub (includes DVD player) for the lifestyle system. This hub apparently costs about $2000, as it is the only difference between the Lifestyle system ($3500) and their $1500 Acoustimass 15 system. Based on some questions I asked, I ascertain it has the feature set of $150 Aiwa unit.
After the demo was over, I strayed to the back of the room while everyone was filing out. There was an alcove blocked from view where the demonstator was while the demo went on. There I found an equipment rack which consisted of 5 components. One was definitely an amp, another a pre-amp. The third was a CD/DVD player of some kind. Another may have been an external decoder. Still another was an EQ. I didn't have time to look at the brand names before the Bose guy told me that I was in a "restricted area," but I did see that none were Bose brand, though there was a sticker on each that said "Do Not Touch! Property of Bose." The amp and preamp had a brand name starting with "K" (which I saw from a distance while leaving), and were very heavy duty units with front handles and massive heatsinks. This appeared to be a $7500-$15000 equipment rack based on my somewhat limited knowledge of separates.
Anyway, long story short, I asked the guy if the receiver shown as part of the Lifestyle system had been used in the demo. He said no, that other equipment had been used for "ease of use." He said there were "special technical requirements" for a demo of that type, but that the electronics didn't make a difference in the sound anyway. He said that that receiver would give me the same sound.
I chuckled and went home.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
The amp and preamp had a brand name starting with "K" (which I saw from a distance while leaving), and were very heavy duty units with front handles and massive heatsinks.
hehe...my first thought when i read this was krell but i really wonder if they would go to such lengths to sell their products by using multiple thousands of dollars worth of equipment to make their little speakers sound good. oh wait, this is bose we're talking about.

of course, we could soon see krell ads in stereophile stating...

krell. we can make bose sound good!

kevin t

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
That guy is so full of it, if the sound will be the same coming from their system then why spend all that money on other equipment? By any chance was this demo done in a Fry's store?

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
Nice work!
Very revealing info on a multi-million dollar company.
You should be an investigative reporter for 60 Minutes!

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
"By any chance was this demo done in a Fry's store?"

Yes it was actually, why? Have you been to one of these as well?

As for it being Krell, I really don't know. I just saw a "K" from a distance. These were heavy duty components though. BIG.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Hey Eric,
This story sounds like "The Wizard of Bose!" Perhaps you might want to take a little dog into the next demo to expose the "BIG K" behind the curtain!:laugh:
Reg

DanaA

Screenwriter
That's too funny. I think we should all go to the local Fry's this weekend to get out tickets and when the show's over, raise our hands while everyone is still there and ask,

"By any chance is that Krell separates we're hearing the Bose out of? I really know the Krell sound and I have $15,000 worth of Krell at home hooked up to my Bose. Before Bose, my Krell stuff just didn't sound so good. After Bose, they cook."

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Reggie, that's pretty funny. I actually thought about titling the thread "The Wizard of Bose" but didn't think anyone would get the reference.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Eric,
You must be joking???!!!! The demo used gear that is not part of the system? EQd with some serious ampage???!!!
My jaw dropped to the floor and thought how I could sue for fraud. But then again, you're serious.....aren't you.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
All I can say is, "Unbelievable."

Eric, I've experienced that same demo at the Bose store in the Mall of America. Having owned a set of Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers for a few years, I'm well aware of how they sound on a normal rig. When I went to that demo, I was very surprised by how good the sound was, but if what you say is true, there's a lot more to it than Bose would like you to believe.

Thanks for your report. I'm going to remember this thread.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
:laugh:
Oh, man...this is too good!! It makes me want to go to Fry's and see what Bose is up to. Also makes me wonder how many customers were sold by Bose's questionable marketing tactics. Great work!! :D

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
EricHaas,

I have not been to one of the demos but here in southern CA I always here the guy on the PA announcing that the demo is about to start. Never been in there and I just might go in and ask if I can see the equipment if he ask for questions. I would like to see what his response is.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I am going back to Frys this weekend to buy some RAM. It is the one here in Palo Alta (bay area). I will attend again and get a better look to see the brand names on the components. Oh, I forgot to mention. I asked why the area was restricted, and the guy said, "you might break something." Man, what a hoot. It sure was great entertainment for a Sunday afternoon.

Ron_L

Second Unit
So that " Big Sound " isn't from that silver lump of s*it.

I'd consider that fraud. They are advertizing that the equipment they show you is the equipment your listening too.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I find it ironic that the Bose Rep told you that they use the five hidden seperate components for "ease of use" when that is one of the lifestyles' big selling points? Must be easier to set up a bunch of different components then plug that silver looking toaster into the wall.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Eric,

If you are indeed telling the truth about this (and I beleive

you are.. Nothing suprises me about Bose) I would seriously

find out WHEN the next Demo is and I would call Dateline NBC

and inform them of what you saw and have them go into this

demo with a Hidden Camera (they are so good at this) and

show the public once and for all what Bose is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks