Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Monkeys and Company Policy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted February 25 2002 - 10:43 AM

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it.

Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.
After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and place it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third
original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.

And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

"Charlie don't surf."

#2 of 11 Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 12:19 PM

sounds to me like somebody's got a case of the mondays.

kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#3 of 11 Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 12:28 PM

Henry,

As a manager, I am often faced with the exact opposite phenomenon: employees who decide to ignore established policies because they think they have a better (read: easier) way of doing a certain task.

While it is true that existing procedures should always be examined for possible improvement, poeple should realize that those procedures were probably established for good reasons.

#4 of 11 Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 12:38 PM

^
| lumberg

j/k, brian

#5 of 11 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 01:44 PM

Don't forget that we all have to go back to the same monkey business bright and early tommorrow morning.Posted Image

Posted Image
Recently watched- Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#6 of 11 Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 02:54 PM

Kevin that's one of my favorite movies. i think i'm gonna go watch it now...

#7 of 11 Kevin T

Kevin T

Screenwriter

• 1,407 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 03:25 PM

i felt it was appropriate given the nature of his post and since it is...well monday.

kevin t

#8 of 11 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 04:40 PM

Consider that when a Monkey finally gets to the Bannana, that monkey gets to be the one spraying the rest of the Monkeys.

and that, my friends, is how we have managers.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#9 of 11 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 05:42 PM

Pardon my french, but Holy Sh*t that sounds a bit to close to the truth.

Funny too.

#10 of 11 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,423 posts

Posted February 25 2002 - 05:57 PM

Reminds me of a sign a colleague at work has: "Logic is Illogica1", meaning you follow policy irrespective of whether or not it makes sense.

#11 of 11 Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted March 02 2002 - 09:54 PM

Quote:
Henry,

As a manager, I am often faced with the exact opposite phenomenon: employees who decide to ignore established policies because they think they have a better (read: easier) way of doing a certain task.

While it is true that existing procedures should always be examined for possible improvement, poeple should realize that those procedures were probably established for good reasons.

Well,
Also as a manager, and employee, sometimes regardless of what you try to do to improve or change existing policy, there are always those that either dont want to hear it, or care.

"Charlie don't surf."