What's new

Home Theater Input Needed (1 Viewer)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Everyone!

I am in the process of building a theater in my basement. The dimensions of it are:

25' Long

9.5' Wide

8' Ceilings

I have built out the front wall where the HDTV will be going, on either side of it will be 8' book case style racks with pot lights inside, above the TV will be 2 spereate pot lights as well. These pot lights will be on there own dimmer.

I am now in need of knowing how many more pot lights I should use in the room and where to position them as well as how far back my rear speakers should be and what position I should mount them in??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Matt

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I asked a similar question not too long ago about where to position recessed lighting...

The rule of thumb is a light will cover a circular space with the same diameter as the distance to the floor. In your case, lights will project an 8' wide circle on your floor.

As far as positioning the rear speakers.. I'll let the HT-heads debate that one.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
So really I don't need to put 4 pot lights in to adequately light up a 24' area. Is it possible to have 3 staggered around the room? Should I go ahead and pick up 4 of them and just equally mount them in the ceiling?

Thanks a lot

Matt

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
So really I don't need to put 4 pot lights in to adequately light up a 24' area. Is it possible to have 3 staggered around the room? Should I go ahead and pick up 4 of them and just equally mount them in the ceiling?
I guess it also depends on how bright the bulbs will be... and how even you want the light to be around the room. You could use more pots and overlap the circles with a lower wattage light.. that would give you a more even spread of light. Or you could space them 8' with brighter bulbs, that might give you a more dramatic uneven lighting effect.

I have been walking around my office looking at our recessed lights and how they are spaced and what the effect is. I would say take a look around when you go to work or the store and see what you like or don't like.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from Home Depot, I picked up 4 pot lights with the 50w halogen bulbs. Any comments on this for lighting?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks