What's new

a movie only talk show on the radio every week (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if you can pick up 1210 am from philly on sat nites you will hear a movie talk show hosted by steve freidman. who in philly has been nicknamed mr movie by a local television personality.

he is on from 10 - 1 at nite eastern time.

in the late 1980's to early 90's his show,on the same station was on sat nites usually starting at about 9 pm and running as long as 6:30 am.

if you want to hear people talk about movies tune in.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I've been listening to Steve for a few years now. 1210 is 50,000 watts so his show should reach a lot of the east coast, if not most of it. KDKA in Pittsburgh is also 50,000 watts and its signal reaches 38 states and some of Canada.

I like his show, I only wish there were more movie-only talk shows.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I know of a movie talk show that you can access over the Internet. It comes out of Chicago on WGN radio. The host's name is Nick DiGilio (hope I spelled it right), and his show is on Sunday nights at 11pm eastern. He also has a show on (I believe) Saturday nights, but I have to check with a friend in Chicago to give you the exact show times.
Just go to www.wgn.com - (The Radio link) - Then click on 'listen'. You need Real Player to listen, but I never have any trouble tuning in.
I'll check back tomorrow with more accurate show times.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks scott i'll have to tune in to hear what he has to say.
is it movie talk or entertainment in general?wgn schedule

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for the info, Scott. I'll be sure to listen in on that show.
There is another talk show that I would like to mention. There is a Pittsburgh talk show host who does movie talk every thursday from 4-6 p.m. Here is the link.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I called into the Mr. Movie show once. I've only listened a few times. It's okay. It's mainly callers asking "I saw this movie back in 19xx and it had [insert plot here] .. do you know it?" And Mr. Movie usually knows it. Of course, since it's on AM radio, it's mainly older callers asking about movies they saw in the '50s and '60s.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
6 AM - 8 AM Doug Stephan

8 AM - Noon Jerry Bowyer

12:00 PM - 12:20 PM Paul Harvey News

12:20 PM - 3 PM Lynn Cullen

3 PM - 6 PM Doug Hoerth

6 PM - 10 PM Michael Reagan

10 PM - Midnight Jim Bohannon

Midnight - 6 AM Monday Midnight to 6 AM Art Bell Tuesday-Friday Midnight to 1 AM Jim Bohannon

1 AM to 6 AM Art Bell

tom-g i checked that link is doug hoerth the man you are talking about from the schedule above?

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Tony, yes it is Doug Hoerth. Every Thursday, he has a guy come on his show and he refers to him as the "Movie Maven." The guy knows his films and he talks a lot about current films and they take calls to discuss a wide variety of topics.

I'm actually not sure if Doug starts the movie discussions right at 3:00 when he comes on the air, but when I drive in to work (at 4:00) he is always talking movies.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I love the Steve Friedman show. I listen to it all the time. I took a class at Temple a few years ago that he taught, and got to see him again at the Colonial Theater in June when they showed Forbidden Planet, his favorite movie. I also remember his short lived television show from 2 years ago, on the cable TSM network. They folded, and he went with it. :frowning:
Neil

Erik Childress

Auditioning
Hey Guys,
Yes - Nick Digilio is on WGN Radio here in Chicago and should be accessible via syndication in 38 states. Not sure which 12 are the unlucky ones. Anyway - you can get his show broadcast over the internet (Nick Digilio - WGN ) Just go the home page at WGN Radio and click on Listen! .
His show is broadcast every
Friday from 11 PM-3 AM Central time
Saturday from 12-4 AM Central (with co-host Garry Lee Wright)
Sunday from 12-2 AM Central
You can also hear him every Saturday morning at 9:30 am (Central) reviewing the new movies of the week as he is the film critic for WGN.
Every Sunday night he starts the show off with talk about the weekend box office, gives his thoughts and then fields calls (with several regulars) about the movies.
Movies are a frequent topic on his show, but he'll switch gears into music and other pop culture items, especially on his Friday night show.
Enjoy,
Erik

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just a reminder

and ebert will be on tonightwas on last week around 11

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just another reminder. i'll pop this up every couple weeks.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I love the Steve Friedman show. I listen to it all the time. I took a class at Temple a few years ago that he taught, and got to see him again at the Colonial Theater in June when they showed Forbidden Planet, his favorite movie. I also remember his short lived television show from 2 years ago, on the cable TSM network. They folded, and he went with it.
Steve's great - as long as you don't tell him your favorite movie is Barfly or Mrs. Doubtfire. :laugh: With Steve and Scott and James Berardinelli, Philadelphia seems to be a breeding ground for cool movie critics. They should all be on the air together. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess i forgot to pop this up every couple of weeks.

rob how did you find this old thread?

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Whoa that was creepy. I agreed with everything that guy said in the quote from earlier today...then I realized it was something I said over a year and half ago. :)
Neil

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well just popping this up again.

for anyone who listens maybe you should before you cant ANymore.

steve apparently has something seriously wrong with his kidneys.

they are failing and he is on dialysis.

about 9 weeks ago his show was in rerun for 4 weeks in a row.

then when he came back on he explained his problem but without much detail.

he clearly is on medication as you can hear it in his voice during the show.

this is just terribly sad.

i've been listening to him for a better part of the last 20 years.

turn on his show and listen, you'll enjoy his love for movies.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I used to be able to pick up his show all the way in Evansville, IN when I lived there 1989-1990. I listened faithfully every week, until suddenly his program wasn't on anymore (multiple weeks in a row).... apparantly that was just a short break? Or am I not remembering right?

One time he said there was a cool new promotional poster for his show that you could write in and request for free, which i did, but I never received one.

Anyway, glad to hear he continued on for many years, although I am sad to hear his health is in jeopardy. Will try tuning in this weekend.... wish I could catch up on his opinions about the better movies released over the past 14 years...

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I listened to his show religiously on Sunday nights from 1998-2001, then when it moved to Saturdays I lost track of it. That's terrible news - I remember when he told his story of having an appendicitis attack on an airplane. He's a great unpretentious guy who truly loves movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks