Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Need DVD Changer Advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Neil_Jenkins

Neil_Jenkins

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 02:15 PM

I'm in the market for a new DVD changer (<$350) to replace a two year old RCA (a gift) that won't play CD-R/RW. I would like to use it as a CD player as well. I don't have component video on my TV, and it will be years before I upgrade, so prog scan isn't necessary. The models that I've been looking at the most are: Sony DVP-NC600 Pioneer DV-C503 JVC XV-FA90 I'm really looking for good video quality and a quiet, dependable player. My current player makes horrible disk spinning noises that I just can't deal with anymore. Anyone had any experience with these? Are there any more changers coming in the next month or two (or out now) that should be on my list? Thanks for the help.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jon Cielo

Jon Cielo

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 04:40 PM

I can't vouch for reliability or performance, but as a note, the local Sam Goody has the Pioneer you mentioned for $150 otd including some extended warranty, membership to their music club, and tax. This is what they were advertising it for, I'm not sure if you can just get the player, but when the total was added, the player was only $115. Not too bad, but I don't need one. Good luck.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 07:59 PM

Neil, I have a JVC XV-F80 7 disc progressive scan player, same as the JVC you mention but won't play dvd-audio. I find picture quality to be excellent, and don't hear the disc spinning during play. When doing chapter search or when accessing dvd special features, you can hear the transport, but during normal play it's silent. It does make some noises when swapping discs, but no more than any other multi-disc cd player. I've had it since last September and so far no glitches.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Han

Han

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted February 22 2002 - 07:52 AM

You might want to test out the players before buying them. One thing that seems pretty alarming is the wait time to switch from one disc (CD or DVD) to the next. I think it's reported to be around 30 seconds for a Denon 4800 and 1 minute for a Kenwood 5700. The two old $100 CD changers I've owned, on the other hand, take 5 seconds or less to switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users