What's new

Anthem MCA series I and series II differences? (1 Viewer)

Chriss M

Second Unit
Does anyone know what the differences are between the original Anthem MCA series and the newer series II ? I realize there is a new line out now (MCA-20,30,50) but i am looking at puchasing a used model and can't seem to find anything on the difference between series I and II.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
According to Anthem:

There are enough differences inside besides power increase to justify the extra cost - larger power supply, higher operating voltages (and necessarily larger heatsinks and chassis), but it sounds better even at low levels since the biasing is deeper into Class A and there's less crossover distortion (crossover distortion goes up as signal level goes down).
Unfortunately, the taller chassis and greater heat makes it more difficult for me to fit this amp into my rack, not to mention the higher cost.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Sorry.

Missed that you were looking for differences in the original series vs the Series II.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I recall that the most important improvement is better stability and heat dissapation with low impedance loads.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I can't remember exactly what the differences are, but I do know that they are minute. I have a series I mca5 and it absolutely sounds great driving my studio 100's. I don't even notice any kind of problem with heat, and it has no trouble driving the center and rears simultaneously either. Hope this helped at least a little.

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks