Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anthem MCA series I and series II differences?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Chriss M

Chriss M

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 09:01 AM

Does anyone know what the differences are between the original Anthem MCA series and the newer series II ? I realize there is a new line out now (MCA-20,30,50) but i am looking at puchasing a used model and can't seem to find anything on the difference between series I and II.

Thanks Posted Image

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Gil D

Gil D

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 11:29 AM

According to Anthem:

Quote:
The MCA20/30/50 have 10-15% more power, larger heatsinks, taller chassis and are generally a heavy duty version of the Series II.

When I asked if the only benefit sonically is more power and if the old vs new would essentially sound the same at normal listening levels:

Quote:
There are enough differences inside besides power increase to justify the extra cost - larger power supply, higher operating voltages (and necessarily larger heatsinks and chassis), but it sounds better even at low levels since the biasing is deeper into Class A and there's less crossover distortion (crossover distortion goes up as signal level goes down).

Unfortunately, the taller chassis and greater heat makes it more difficult for me to fit this amp into my rack, not to mention the higher cost.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Gil D

Gil D

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 11:34 AM

Sorry.
Missed that you were looking for differences in the original series vs the Series II.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 12:40 PM

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I recall that the most important improvement is better stability and heat dissapation with low impedance loads.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted February 21 2002 - 01:08 PM

I can't remember exactly what the differences are, but I do know that they are minute. I have a series I mca5 and it absolutely sounds great driving my studio 100's. I don't even notice any kind of problem with heat, and it has no trouble driving the center and rears simultaneously either. Hope this helped at least a little.

Brandon

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Chriss M

Chriss M

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted February 22 2002 - 12:06 AM

thanks for the info everyone Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow