What's new

Twin Peaks Pilot DVD....yuck! (1 Viewer)

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I had to get this as I have the series boxset that managed to not get the rights to the pilot. This is without a doubt the worst picture and sound I have ever seen from a dvd. A copy of a copy of a copy of a VHS tape of an off the air broadcast about sums it up. Can't wait to ebay this piece of crap now that I've watched it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Clearly you're not sufficiently experienced in the ways of DVD young person. For the worst picture on DVD ever, I direct you to MGM's anamorphic(!!) Rancho Deluxe. The thing looks like it has been shot through a screen door, and it is totally misframmed. Fox-Lorber's awful 36 Fillette transfer is a close runner up. The Twin Peaks pilot looks like a referance quality disk by comparison.
Sure the Twin Peaks pilot transfer is pretty bad compared to the official box. But then again the official box transfer can't touch the German R2 of Stormy Monday which I watched right after Episode 2 last night. It's all a matter of what you are comparing.
Ted

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Chris,

Wow! I didn't think it looked that bad. Does it look as good as the First Season DVD's? Not by a long shot, but to say it looks like "a copy of a copy of a copy of a VHS tape of an off the air broadcast" seems a little much to me. It's all subjective, though. Also, I'm watching it on a direct-view 27". I'm sure a more high-end set would bring out the flaws.

I would say that it looks more akin to VHS quality. Better than nothing, IMO.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
"a copy of a copy of a copy of a VHS tape of an off the air broadcast"
I dunno, it's a copy off a Bravo broadcast that I've been using for the last few years when I wanted to watch the pilot, and the DVD looks *much* better than that.

It's better than the original VHS releases of the TV show. Good enough for me, for the moment.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
This DVD isn't even close to the worst image quality out there. In fact, while it's not great at all, it's totally adequate.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
OK, OK, I'm sure it's not the worst dvd out there (I have a limited amount of spare time and haven't been able to view every dvd release to date). Anyway, where in my post did I state that it is the worst dvd out there? All I said was it is the worst that I have seen and it is that. Maybe I exaggerated a little, but the sound is terrible too. Just an FYI to those who may be purchasing the disc to try to find it cheap or rent it if possible. I guess it is "adequate" if your standards allow it to be.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Well, if you want it on DVD, it has to be adequate, doesn't it? It won't be coming from Paramount for several YEARS.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
I give up. The dvd IS adequate. There ARE worse DVDs out there. The picture IS better than a VHS tape. Never mind.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I'm just thankful to have it on DVD. It looks better than my copy off Bravo which has been played a gazillion times and it shows.

Also, the import DVD is the only home video release that features the "proper" ending that was originally broadcasted here in the states.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I myself am very thankful that this DVD is out. Sure, the sound sucks, but the picture quality is very good in my opinion.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah...the DVD is crapy...but not awful. Has anyone noticed that it's really bass-heavy. Everytime I watch the part that Bobby takes Shelly home from the RR...and he plays a song on the jukebox, it shakes down my apartment...hehe.

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
My copy arrived this morning. I bought it expecting full well that the quality was going to be below par (you've just got to look at the cover for god's sake! :D ) But frankly if your bothered about seeing the pilot with original ending, you've got no choice for a long time. Anyway, new, it only costs about $9, so if you were expecting quality as near the Season one box you should have done your research a bit better.
By the way, anyone going to fork out the $40 for the restored Eraserhead DVD selling from davidlynch.com?

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
OK, last time - I AM happy that this is even available. I AM glad I got to see the proper version. My point is simply that the DVD quality sucks. Period. This point is not debatable.

"...if you were expecting quality as near the Season one box you should have done your research a bit better."

Yes, that is exactly the point of this thread - to make potential buyers aware that the quality is poor. I did, in fact look into this and I guess I must have read a review by one of the venomous supporters of the disc who is so grateful to have this available that they overlook the pathetic presentation. I am presenting an alternate angle so to speak.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
Greg, two quick questions

1) Did you actually read any of the posts? I only saw one that even implied that the picture was anything other than poor (saying it is superior to a VHS capture is hardly a sterling recommendation)

2) Are you involved somehow in the production/retailing of this disc? I'm serious, because I don't understand the aggressive tone of your post otherwise.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
chill, chris... it's all good. Don't take this thread so personally. Greg simply made a reasonalbe observation.

Anyway, where in my post did I state that it is the worst dvd out there?
You didn't. However, some of us just want to make it clear that this DVD isn't as bad as a lot of the budget junk out on the market today. It is my opinion that fans of the show should NOT avoid this release... it's totally serviceable for those of us who want to watch the series in order.

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
This could be the funniest untintenionally humorous thread of all time.

Of course, I have not read all the threads out there. And you may feel differently, but I am sure most people would find this thread adequately funny. And this thread is funnier than its VHS version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks