-

Photo

vBulletin Testers Wanted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,103 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted September 03 2001 - 07:07 AM

One of the things we are considering doing is going back to vBulletin on the new server. We had trouble with the beta version will tried out before and it really didn't like the server configuration we had.

Now vBulletin is in final released versions and appears very stable. We also will have the horsepower to run it. I do need people to check it out though.

One of the problems that we had with it was from members using IE and Netscape on the MAC. Also, members using WebTV couldn't access it. Some with Opera were having trouble too.

I need members that have the above type of setup or anyone that wants to check this out to go to:
http://www.vbulletin.com

and check that site out and others that are listed using it to see if you have any trouble using it and report your findings here.

I don't want to use vBulletin if members are going to be having trouble with it.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted September 03 2001 - 07:26 AM

VBulletin works great with Opera.

If you want to look at another bulletin board which is in development at the moment: phpBB2

It is an open source project and only in beta stage but looks very promising. It is a complete rewrite from phpbb 1.X.
The most interesting features are a complete templating system and support for almost all databases including Oracle.

I don't know if it would be able to handle the load (phpbb 1.4 certainly wouldn't) but it is worth to take a look.

------------------
-Dominik Dröscher ICQ: 25318265
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles Guajardo

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 03:12 AM

Worked fine for me w/ Mac OS 9.1 and IE 5.0

Also worked w/ OS X and IE 5.1

I'll try and hop on an older OS and browser later today.

Perhaps the problem was that currently there are no browsers for the mac that are able to uncompress gzip data. I've run into this on several different websites that do not run Vbulletin or any other forum software. Usually has to do with rotating banner ads that are placed on the page.

I also liked Vbulletin for what its worth.

As always, great job, guys!

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 03:42 AM

Parker,

I'm running Netscape 4.7 on a Mac with OS 9.2.

If you want me to test anything out, please let me know. I found the fonts were HUGE when we were running vBulletin last time, but you quickly fixed it. That was the only problem I had with the board.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 03:46 AM

Cruising their community forum with OS8.6/NS4.7 it seemed kind of clunky. No errors, but just check out the bugs forum - yikes!

------------------
Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,103 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:47 AM

Charles:

Since you can read this board just fine it appears that gzip is working ok on your browser as we it installed on this server.

Jeff:

Check out some of the other sites listed that are using vBulletin in addition to the vBulletin site itself.

All:

What I need everyone to do is to check out sites that are using vBulletin and see if you have trouble navigating or reading the sites. Before I move over I want to make sure that all can read and move around in it.

Thanks,
Parker

reason the RNC."

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 11:34 AM

I am also NOT having problems with vBulletin under a Mac, both Mac OS X with IE 5.1 and OS 9.1 and IE 5.

FWIW - I didn't have problems when you used vBulletin previously. I liked the feature of it taking the reader right to the new posts. I miss that.

------------------
-Rodney

No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

-Rodney

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 09:25 AM

Okay, checked out some of the other forums, and aside from performance issues (which could be anything) no major problems under NS 4.7 or IE 5/OS 8.6.

I like the little 50x50 icons that can go under your name for you picture instead of a hulking big sig.

I think as long as the pipe is big enough, performance should be okay, though the sites I tried are definately slower than HTF is now.

------------------

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,103 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 09:45 AM

Keep the testing going for me. In particular if you find any large vBulletin sites with lots of posts, large membership, lots of people online at one time, that sort of thing is what I am interested in.

I just want to make sure that vBulletin is going to work for all of our membership before moving everything over.

Parker

reason the RNC."

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 12:09 PM

Double post.

I would comment that unless you know what kind of server is being used, and what their bandwidth is, it will be tough to judge how comparable vbulletin is with UBB. So far the sites seem slower than HTF.

------------------

[Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on September 05, 2001 at 07:15 PM]