What's new

Raiders in HD (1 Viewer)

Gary_E

Second Unit
I was pissed that ABC screwed up Thunderball last night but man did they make it up with Raiders Of The Lost Ark tonight.
WOW!!!!
Here's hoping the eventual DVD is from the same source as this transfer. It's fantastic.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
-Gary

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
yep, this looks and sounds incredible in Dallas. 5.1 sound, shaking my theater! great picture. a bit dark, but I think the movie is that way in parts. amazing...!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Lucas is rubbing our face in it alright. A Newly remastered Raiders of the Lost Ark inHi Def no less (Of course improperly shown inthe wrong OAR) full of lovely Commercials which spreads this classic into 3 Hours !

I'll wait thank you till I can see it in all its Anamorphic Glory on My Mits. Till then (extends Middle Finger) this is for you Lucas.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how anybody can stand to watch just about anything off of commercial TV anymore!! It's agony! All the damned ads! I'd rather have several root canals performed!!
See....Look how spoiled all these great DVD's have made us!! :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking right now at the ABC airing of Raiders.

What is this ratio? .... Looks to me about like 1.34:1! Virtually NO letterbox effect on my screen!

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
I'm watching it right now in the correct aspect ratio of 2.39:1 with a great sounding DD5.1 soundtrack and the picture quality is much better then the best superbit DVD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
And unlike Thunderball, it's OAR: 2.35x1 widescreen. The 5.1 mix is good...the .1 especially! And the picture has not looked this good on video--ever.

- Steve

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand! Shouldn't I be seeing black bars for ROTLA, even on a 4:3 TV?
Only if you are watching the HD broadcast.

It looks very good, even downconverted to 520p via the DTC-100. Wish I had a 720p set.

Commercials suck.

Here is hoping to a CRANKED bitrate on the DVD (let's say put all extras on Disc 2), which I continue to predict for a 2002 release.

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
These commercials are driving me crazy! It's been a while since I last watched a film on network TV... I guess I'm not used to it anymore. It feels like we're watching a 3-hour infomercial for "Dinotopia", interrupted by brief snippets of Indy in glorious High Def.
Having said that, the 720p picture and 5.1 mix are indeed spectacular! The picture seems a little too dark to me as well... I attended a screening of the 70mm blowup only a few months ago, so I think I remember what it should look like.
EDIT: Argh! ABC has ruined the credits! No closing Raiders March in 5.1. :frowning:
Cheers.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
This is killing me!!!!

My theater was supposed to be finished this past week, but the carpet got delayed.

So, I don't have my components hooked up yet, except for my Toshiba DST3000 to an in attic antenna. (I just had to try it out.)

As a result, I can see the HD channels, but I have no sound.

MY GOD!!!! Raiders looks amazing!!!!!

HDTV on my TW65H80 is a Godsend!!

I am still astounded that a simple antenna is responsible for this level of reception.

It just doesn't seem possible, but I'm glad it is.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Indianapolis the movie was riddled with dropouts to the tune of about two dozen. The picture was good, but like all ABC showings in High Def, there is a choppiness to the picture when things move across the screen, but the resolution was great. Any other Indy watchers experience the same problems?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Glad it wasn't just me Bill, I'm in Carmel and thought it was my reception. I usually only get about a 76 signal strength on ABC. The dropouts were annoying but significantly better than during Thunderball last night, I lost entire scens of dialog!

Heres to doing better for Temple of Doom tomorrow night.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I had one dropout in the Dallas area. Not bad.

The commercials were a bit much, and I quickly tired of the Dinotopia spots.

But the altar sequence in HD and DD5.1 was worth the wait. To quote Belloq, "It's beautiful!"

- Steve

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait thank you till I can see it in all its Anamorphic Glory on My Mits. Till then (extends Middle Finger) this is for you Lucas.
What? Did you really expect a widescreen SD broadcast on network television? Besides, Speilberg's the one who puts pan & scan DVDs out of his movies, not Lucas (Episode I was widescreen only, as was I believe American Graffiti.)
Regardless, that is probably a network decision, not a producer/directorial decision anyway.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yeah, nothing personal, but I don't follow the anti-Lucas reasoning at all. Commercials and credit alterations aside (which Lucas was clearly not responsible for) the high definition broadcast was incredible.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks