Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

? for Gary King about development...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 11:57 AM

What's involved in making a game widescreen? I'm familiar with the process for DVDs. Is it similiar and why aren't any major game publishers doing it? Troy ------------------ No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,293 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 03:28 PM

I'm not an expert, keep that in mind. They have to redo the screen so that it displays a wider image and then they need to tell the icons on screen (like a speedometer) to be their normal size as widescreen, which is why they appear crunched in 4:3 view. The way they do it is probably through mathematics. I dunno.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted August 20 2001 - 08:33 PM

On the Xbox, not much more is involved than simply setting the resolution to a widescreen resolution, and adjusting your viewport transform so that you don't get distortion (which is really simple). I can't imagine much more is involved than that on other consoles (assuming the hardware supports widescreen output); however, on consoles with stricter requirements on video memory, the additional framebuffer size might things more difficult for developers, depending on how they want to use the hardware.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 21 2001 - 11:55 AM

Gary,

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. I guess the debate on whether or not game developers will implement this in their games is moot (look at the Pan & Scam debacle).

I guess those of us with widescreen TVs will have to hope and cross our fingers on that issue. Posted Image

[quote]

however, on consoles with stricter requirements on video memory, the additional framebuffer size might things more difficult for developers, depending on how they want to use the hardware.

[quote] I wonder if the PS2 would be subject to this? I have only heard of a handful of games in WS format for this console and I've heard that some developers complain of the lack of more memory...hmmm.

Another question: Are you aware of any games/developers that are planning games in WS for sure?

Also, do you develop games or strictly console involved?

Troy

------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on August 21, 2001 at 03:01 PM]

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted August 21 2001 - 03:47 PM

Check out: http://www.gorillax....games/games.asp

has a list of all of the confirmed games that will support widescreen for the Xbox. There is more than whats on there, but its pretty up to date.

Dean

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted August 21 2001 - 08:34 PM

[quote]

Also, do you develop games or strictly console involved?

[quote]

I'm in the real-time graphics business (which includes consoles). I'm not a game developer.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 22 2001 - 10:01 AM

Dean,

Thanks for the info! Posted Image

Gary,

I can tell based on your responses to some of the Xbox questions that you're somewhat 'excited' about seeing it's potential come to life and thrust ahead.

Question: Are other people in your field and/or similiar fields as equally excited about Xbox's potential?

Just curious. I wouldn't know the first place to look to even gather information on that front.

Troy

------------------

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted August 22 2001 - 10:46 AM

Well, real-time graphics is a very hardware-dependent field, so newer and more powerful hardware generates quite a bit of excitement. And Xbox is very new and very powerful... and it fixes all the annoying things in DirectX, which is really nice, too.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted August 22 2001 - 01:08 PM

So that .. would.... be a .... yes?! Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks.

My problem now is finding a component video switcher for my; DVD, PS2, XBOX AND HDTV! Sheesh, problems never end.

Troy

------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users