Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Paramount George Pal dvd's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:56 PM

Is there going to be any new versions of George Pals films, When Worlds Collide or War of the Worlds? The current dvds have pretty bad quality transfers and only the trailer as an extra. They are two of my favorite movies. Two of Pal's other movies, the 7 Faces of Dr. Lao and the Time Machine both have fine transfers on their Warner Bros. discs. Come on Paramount! Give us a some special editions with restored prints!

#2 of 11 Jon_W

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 03:17 PM

This should probably be in the studio feedback section.
"You Ain't Been Doin' Nothin' If You Ain't Been Called A Red" - Eliot Kenin, 1983

#3 of 11 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 10:07 PM

While I would support rereleases of both of these as SE's, the current transfers aren't THAT bad considering the age of the material. What both films could probably use is a re-mastering of the source material.

Perhaps this will happen for WotW, and it could get an SE rerelease, when the remake hits theaters (when is that; next year?). But I don't see it happenning for WWC, which I was really amazed at the quality of the DVD in the first place, all things considered.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with these two releases! Maybe I'm alone in that regard, though.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 11 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 15 2002 - 12:53 AM

All things considered, I though War of the Worlds looked pretty good.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 11 Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 04:10 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful we have them on DVD at all, and the transfers aren't terrible. But, the transfers of Pal's other works, the Time Machine and 7 Faces of Dr. Lao are beautiful. They have probably been remastered. However, I do realize that they are 60's movies where War of the Worlds and When Worlds Collide are early 50's movies. That's probably the best picture quality we can get, huh? Still, we could get some more extras. Some documentary's and a commentary possibly by a film historian or something? I guess I'm just a big fan of George Pal! Posted Image

#6 of 11 bill lopez

bill lopez

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 05:13 AM

The laserdisc cav of WAR OF THE WORLDS looked beautiful.
And was in stero.
So why can't the dvd look & sound like that?

#7 of 11 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 15 2002 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
The laserdisc cav of WAR OF THE WORLDS looked beautiful.
And was in stero.
So why can't the dvd look & sound like that?
It's been a while, but I don't recall the DVD looking significantly worse than the laserdisc. I don't really have a problem with having the original mono track, either, but it would have been nice to have the remixed stereo and the isolated music and effects tracks included as well.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 11 Randy_M

Randy_M

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted February 15 2002 - 06:18 AM

I have all four DVD's and I think the earlier titles look just fine.....
My DVDs

#9 of 11 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,039 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 08:16 AM

I only recently finally found a copy of When Worlds Collide and upon comparison to the Paramount laser disc, it's a vast improvement. But as has been already mentioned, the source material was rather iffy. The same blemishs on the laser disc are found on the DVD. But it did not take away from the enjoyment of the viewing experience. Sharpness was the big improvement over the laser disc and color was improved as well.

I have my War of the World's DVD I bought nearly 3 years ago in the wrapper still. I must compare it with the laserdisc soon.

Nelson

#10 of 11 Mike_S

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 11:57 AM

I've got War of the Worlds on LD and I think it looks and sounds great. I saw no reason to 'upgrade' to the DVD version. Now if they release this as a full blown SE, I would certainly pick it up.
My Home Theater

#11 of 11 bill lopez

bill lopez

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 05:49 AM

The color on WAR OF THE WORLDS laserdisc look so alive.