What's new

MGM unreleased titles (titles for re-release also) (2 Viewers)

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Here's to hoping someone out there knows some specific dates or quarters when and if these films will be released.
Raging Bull: Special Edition
Fargo: Special Edition
Blowup
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Persona
Any info on these titles would just be spectacular, thanks for anything!

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Man that's really too bad. So those two now belong to Warner? They seem to be doing a decent job bringing out all of their catalog stuff, finally.
Just recently I've heard about King Kong and McCabe and Mrs. Miller for 2002. Wonder when the other two will get a release.

Real Name
Josh Crackle
I thought Blow Up was released. (?) Are you sure about that one? Raging Bull and Fargo Special Editions are on the table and I believe they are to be released sometime next year (if not sooner). The other two, I don't know about.

I'm waitign for MGM to reissue Escape From New York in a Special Edition, after the shoddy job they did with the last one. At least it's on DVD though, so it's hard to complain too much.

Rick

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
DePalma's "Blow-out" was released on DVD by MGM.
Antonioni' "Blowup" has not been released on R1 DVD.
Oh, and Ted Demme's "Blow" is a New Line Infinifilm disc. :)
Regards

StevenA

Second Unit
I've been hanging out for Persona ever since I heard a restored print had been made. Can't wait!!!!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know about "State of Grace" w/Sean Penn and Gary Oldman?? Was Orion......
Also, is the ORIGINAL, REAL Rollerball gonna get a re-issue w/anamorphic???
Thanx!!! D

Real Name
Josh Crackle
I don't think the original Rollerball will be getting another release soon, although with the new Rollerball movie possibly getting the Special Edition treatment, I wouldn't doubt it if the original gets re-released in a Special Edition with the anamorphic transfer. May depend on how well the new Rollerball DVD will sell.

Rick

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder when MGM will get around to doing Blowup. I would think it would be on the priority list, seeing as how it's one of the best and most influential films ever made. As for the two SE's, I thought I had heard 2002, I just wasn't sure when... hopefully by summer?
Everything else that was released barebones by MGM seems to have been now re-released by them in an SE (I.E. Platoon and Some Like it Hot, those come to mind).

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The original Rollerball has just been re-released in R2 and R4 with an anamorphic transfer, an additional audio commentary from William Harrison and a 30 minute documentary. Raging Bull is also avaialable in a pseudo-SE in R2 and R4, but it uses the old non-anamorphic transfer, DD 2.0 track and only has a 25 minute featurette. There's probably little chance of Criterion licensing the audio commentary from the Laserdisc, but one can hope (they did it for Holy Grail, so, who knows).

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
What about Mulholland Falls? I'd like to see that come to DVD. It's a drag having to break out the LD player to watch my DTS LD whenever I want to watch it (it's in another room).

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the Rain Man and Raging Bull SEs, but these are the 4 unreleased MGM titles I want:

North

Clifford

Men at Work

Teen Wolf

That is all.

Real Name
Josh Crackle
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about those titles, including Mulholland Falls. The way DVD is racking up dollars I think we can expect these and many others to be on the way, in the not too distant future.

Rick

Real Name
Josh Crackle
Hey Todd,

Have you listened to DTS on DVD's? I was curious what format you think sounds better in DTS, laserdisc or DVD. I'd be willing to bet the answer is laserdisc. Although DVD sounds great, being a laserdisc owner myself, I have personally preferred the Dolby DIgital 5.1 laserdisc version to its DVD counterpart. I can't make that kind of comparison with DTS though, as I only have DTS capabilty with DVD and not laser.

Rick

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
I back up State of Grace. Excellent, excellent movie. I don't think this movie has even been released in widescreen yet, my ld is full frame. Making special editions of already released films is great, but get the great movies that aren't available out first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks