Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who here is excited about the Blake Edwards news?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,650 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 07:01 AM

I know I am.

Yes, "Victor/Victoria" has been delayed, but that's because Warner is bringing more Edwards titles to coincide with the "V/V" release.

We all know about "The Great Race", but if you like "Skin Deep" and "S.O.B" (major "S.O.B" fan here), they're coming out too.

Way to go, Warner. Just do it in OAR, and we'll be happy.

Sincerely,

John "Once again, singing Polly-Wolly-Doodle all the day" Kilduff
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#2 of 20 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 07:06 AM

Knowing Warner, The Great Race will be P&S. Posted Image After all, it's a catalog family film. Posted Image

#3 of 20 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 09:52 AM

I'm excited, though I would be pissed if this isn't OAR. I'm sure I'm not as excited as Scott Weinberg though Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (for those of you who didn't catch it in another thread, Scott loves Blake Edwards directing Posted Image).
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#4 of 20 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 10:48 AM

Skin Deep was awesome! I hope they include some behind the scenes materials.

Remember when Ritter was on the Larry Sanders Show and got into a fistfight with Ebert over "Skin Deep"?

(Yes, I realize it was fiction, it was still funny!)
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 20 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 14 2002 - 10:55 AM

calm down lol - all the films are scope!

my peeve is that my favorite BE film (SOB) is getting NO Extras, while Skin Deep gets a commentary and featurette!

I understand V/V getting extras, as it is the "hit" of the bunch, but was SD that big?

I'd be interested to hear JA comment about the scene where she "shows (her) boobies"

Posted Image
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 20 David Brashear

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 01:05 PM

Wow, this is great news. Let's hope Warner releases these films in OAR. Edwards is one of the best examples of a director who uses the entire frame for jokes and gags. Now where is "A Fine Mess" Columbia!

#7 of 20 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 01:14 PM

Looking forward to Victor/Victoria, S.O.B. and Skin Deep. Shame that S.O.B. doesn't get the extras it deserves. Oh well, I hope the transfer for it is good. Looking forward to watching the glow in the dark scene in SD....heh,heh now that was a classic scene.Posted Image
Recently watched- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

#8 of 20 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 01:34 PM

chill... the press release states that all will be OAR and 16x9 enhanced. wanrer has yet to P&S a 2.35:1 film...

#9 of 20 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:14 PM

Where're you reading this press release? I dont see it at Digital Bits or DVDFile.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#10 of 20 Richard Ruffner

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:22 PM

http://www.dvdfile.c....greatrace.html
I'm half human on my mother's side.

#11 of 20 Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 02:44 PM

Victor/Victoria is a definite must have. I wish I still had my old laserdisc.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#12 of 20 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 10:01 PM

Who's exited? [rant]ME!![/rant]

As soon as I saw the news yesterday morning, I dashed off this note to co-worker/fellow HTFer Randy Duncan:
Quote:
Y'know how irritated I was that Victor/Victoria was delayed until 6/4? Well, now the real reason comes to light:

It's being joined by 3 other Blake Edwards films that day, all on DVD for the first time:

S.O.B. (...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!)
The Great Race (...whoa!)
Skin Deep (...my distant cousin wearing a glow-in-the-dark condom? I think I'll pass! Posted Image )

All widescreen, all with new transfers (TGR remastered from restored elements), all with extras (including a Blake/Julie commentary on V/V!! Unbelievable!), and all of them listing for just $19.98!!!

And from Warner Brothers, of all studios! {thud}

Here's the actual press release (note that some info in the S.O.B. section is wrong; Richard Mulligan's name is substituted by William Holden's): http://www.dvdfile.c....greatrace.html

Now if I can just get past this thing of buying DVD's for myself on my wife's birthday....

DAVE

I would have posted the news here, but I was short of time and I figured someone would get to it, as indeed happened!

Oh, and yes...that's my wife's birthday. She enjoys V/V, and won't mind adding that to our collection, but she knows that this is a "David" movie (one of my all-time favorites) and there won't be any mistake that this is not a present for her but rather one for me! Posted Image NOW I have to get it past her that I'm buying a 2nd movie, also one of my faves, that happens to include "Mary Poppins' topless scene"! Posted Image

I love her; she's a VERY understanding person!... Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#13 of 20 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted February 14 2002 - 10:06 PM

For the record:

I LOVED S.O.B.! Most likely my favorite Blake Edwards movie ever.

But I'm still not a fan, george! Posted Image

#14 of 20 Peter Avellino

Peter Avellino

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 04:06 AM

I love Blake Edwards. I really, really love Blake Edwards.

I am almost verrrry happy to hear about this. But...

WHY no extras on S.O.B., which just might be his best film?

Why, for god's sake, Why?????????
"If you can't enjoy a really bad movie, then you don't truly love movies."

-Pauline Kael

#15 of 20 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 15 2002 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
WHY no extras on S.O.B., which just might be his best film?

Beacuse Warner, of all the major studios, is the most ignorant of their library and what it contains. I'm glad they're releasing titles, but some of the choices they make in what they choose to release leaves me dumbfounded.

#16 of 20 Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
Warner, of all the major studios, is the most ignorant of their library

This is rather sad Posted Image. However, how come Blake Edwards didnt push for some extras on SOB? I dont know what he thinks of the film, but I know alot of people consider it his best or one of his betters.
Tis a pity that Professor Fate and the Great Leslie couldnt have gotten together one last time for an interview or commentary, RIP Professor. Robert Preston is also missed.
Speaking of that, WB (or any studio for that matter) needs to start educating themselves about their film libraries and laying down interviews,etc. while the talent are still on the planet. Stop relying on the suits, they dont know a damn thing about movies!! Posted Image
It would also appear that WB (maybe even Edwards) didnt want to do commentaries unless a co-star would participate too. Why no Edwards/Andrews commentary on SOB?
Why no box set of all 4 titles? They didnt box the Sinatra titles together either.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#17 of 20 Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 05:20 AM

"S.O.B." is easily my favorite Blake Edwards film. It's a shame that some of its biggest stars are no longer with us, but there are still several who are, such as Julie Andrews, Larry Hagman, Loretta Swit, Shelly Winters, Robert Loggia, etc. If the making of this film was even a tenth as fun and wild as the events that take place within it, a commentary or documentary would be highly entertaining and informative.

But even without any extras, it will be worth it just to finally have the misadventures of Felix, Cully, Ben and Dr. Finegarten on DVD, and especially in OAR.

"I remember this scene in The Thing..."

#18 of 20 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,382 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 05:36 AM

Charlie, it is REALLY cool to know that someone "in the biz" like you are enjoys this film as much as I do! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 20 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 05:44 AM

S.O.B. was originally released through Lorimar,(Warners never made the film) which may explain why there are no extras on the DVD. CBS/FOX released the video at one time.

#20 of 20 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,008 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 16 2002 - 08:59 AM

I'm disappointed that Blake and Julie won't be providing commentary for S.O.B., I'd love to hear their comments on Mrs. Edwards' infamous topless scene.

Nevertheless, I'll probably buy Victor/Victoria, S.O.B, and maybe the Great Race.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

Forum Nav Content I Follow