What's new

"Whats offensive to you" (1 Viewer)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
OK well it looks like I've been locked out of the thread. Understandable, I guess, but it would have been nice to receive an explanation for clarity sake. I was under the impression that the posting was all done in good taste without name-calling and such that is prevalent in so many other threads.

I'm not going to question the decision or make a big deal about it, I was just rather curious about the decision. I would have done this in private, unfortuantely I have no idea who the mod was who actually locked me out.

Respecftully,

Steven

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Steven,

It is not just you. I never even replied to the thread and I cannot get into it either. After doing a search for it and it not showing up I would assume that it was either locked completely or just plain removed from the forum. As to why the header is still listed though...beats me. I would not take it personally.

Dan Hine

Ike

Screenwriter
With the arrow on it, it looks like it was moved to the moderator's forum. They'll probably mull it over, and see if anything, well, offensive took place.
I just thank God I stayed calm. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The thread in question was moved to the Moderators Area and we're discussing it. Unfortunately, a couple of late posts to the thread has put the thread's future in jeopardy.

Crawdaddy

Steven K

Supporting Actor
OK, that makes more sense.
Actually, I think we all stayed calm. I was very impressed that even though some of us had totally differing and opposite opinions, that everyone involved handled it maturely (or at least I think so).
We've had similar discussions to this one before on the HTF and they were always locked, because someone came in and started acting like a jackass... but it looks like many, if not most, of those people have been weeded off the HTF.
OK, back to After Hours... :)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't seen it for awhile - it's possible that there may've been something derogatory posted to it since I last viewed it. I was watching to see if it started down the wrong path and if it did, I would've asked for it to be closed down/locked. The reason that I started the thread was to discuss, intelligently, what is offensive and why it is offensive. I hope that the most that the moderators do is remove the 'offending' replies. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The thread actually deviated from the original topic. Yet everyone seemed to handle it in a mature way. Too bad some people simply couldn't let go. To be frank: we wonder what merit to this forum will stem from letting it run its course.

Cees

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The problem with this particular thread is the dogmatic bigotry that takes hold of some members, and it turns from an examination of "things that offend you" into being a soapbox to alienate members, and that just doesn't promote a happy place that is the HTF. :)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There were a few who made comments in that thread about not approving of a certain "lifestyle."
For the record though, I didn't see anyone launch into any personal attacks (but I may have missed something). Though I may have disagreed with their positions on the topic, which I did indicate in what I thought was a civil manner, I found it to be an interesting discussion overall.
"Bigotry" (Patrick's word) generally stems from ignorance, so I saw it as an opportunity to clear up a few misconceptions about the "lifestyle" in question. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Problem is, a topic such as that one leads to some people making personal statements, and the line between civil discussion and invective gets distorted. It was a nice try, but a thread with so potentially explosive topic matter just can't seem to last very long without tempers flaring up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Rain, the key word is "dogmatic" because for some folks, some lifestyles will always be 'wrong' so there's no point in having the discussion. We, at the HTF, don't really serve to make a call as to what lifestyle is good/bad, but rather promote respecting each other's lifestyle choices, and to promote HT in general. The dogma prevents many from truly respecting such choices, thus the type of 'discussion' is not going to get much air-time here.

There are plenty of other forum to grind those other axes, that the HTF doesn't have to be one of those forums.

We currently have a hard enough time with the OAR/J6P battle, we simply don't need the other battles being waged here, or providing the soapbox for such pontification.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Please do not misunderstand. I am not advocating for the return of that thread. If you guys feel it's not appropriate, that's fine by me.

I merely meant to share my own feelings towards the thread and others like it. Basically, I'm not going to start topics like this, but if they do come up, I will chime in with my 2 cents in a civil and respectful manner.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
What's interesting is that I didn't see any evidence of disrespect for any "lifestyle" in the thread.

As with Rain, I am not making an attempt to get the thread re-opened or anything of that nature.

However, this was one of the only threads of this kind that I've seen on the HTF that didn't end in personal attacks. The conversation was intelligent all the way through, at least that was my opinion.

I don't think the "dogmatic" comments are in order, however. Perhaps it would have been different had someone came into the thread and said "God says X is wrong, so it is wrong!" but I saw none of that. So I'm not sure where the comments of dogma are stemming from.

The thread is closed, and if that is the moderators decision, then so be it and nobody should argue.

However, I must say that I don't think the overall tone and demeanor of the thread was as dramatic as some in this thread have stated.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I read the thread in question as it now

sits in the Moderators area.

It was crossing the line of what is not permitted

here. But why wouldn't it? If you ask people

what offends them, don't you think there are going

to be some very controversial issues discussed?

Sorry, guys. The thread was just inviting trouble,

though I am certain not purposely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks