Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Thank god the days of listing scene access as a special feature are gone.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 11:08 PM

Do you remember, not so long ago, that the special features listed on the back of a lot of DVDs included scene access, interactive menus, english language trackPosted Image etc. Let's hope those days are gone forever!
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#2 of 16 Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted February 08 2002 - 11:28 PM

Scene access seems alive and well as a special feature. Why do you say it is dead?

#3 of 16 Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 11:43 PM

Quote:
Why do you say it is dead?

I think his point was that some studios used to list it at the top of their special features list. Scene Access and Collectable Booklet were the only special features some studios offered (except for Disney, they also offered Disc Art Posted Image ).

Now every studio is putting out VERY nice special edition DVD's and scene access is a given and not an advertised Special Feature.
"I carried a watermelon."

#4 of 16 John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 12:04 AM

Quote:
Now every studio is putting out VERY nice special edition DVD's and scene access is a given and not an advertised Special Feature.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I just checked two random recent releases: The Sandlot (Fox) and Beverly Hills Cop: Special Collector's Edition (Paramount). Both of them list "Scene Selection" and "Interactive Menus" as Special/Bonus features.

#5 of 16 Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 12:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I just checked two random recent releases: The Sandlot (Fox) and Beverly Hills Cop: Special Collector's Edition (Paramount). Both of them list "Scene Selection" and "Interactive Menus" as Special/Bonus features.

The point is not that studios no longer print it on the back of the DVD case. The point is that it is no longer the only special feature on the disc. Studios have woken up and realized that people want actual special features (documentaries, commentaries, deleted scenes....) not just the ability to access scenes directly. The technically abilities of a DVD are no longer what interest people. People want "actual" special features.
"I carried a watermelon."

#6 of 16 John Stone

John Stone

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
The point is not that studios no longer print it on the back of the DVD case.

Really? We must be reading different threads, then.

#7 of 16 Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 05:24 AM

That's nothing. Last night, I watched the Paradine Case on DVD. The box listed "Fullscreen Presentation" as a special/bonus feature.

#8 of 16 Guy_K

Guy_K

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 05:29 AM

if full screen presentations are a special feature, i'd hate to see the bareboned discs! Posted Image

#9 of 16 Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:10 AM

Check out the back cover art for "Prime Gig," a new DVD from New Line. Animated Menus! Whoopee!

Posted Image
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#10 of 16 Ryan L B

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 08:57 AM

The features you want!? When did this movie come out since it is a bare bones disc

#11 of 16 Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 09:02 AM

My personal favorite extra is "Production Notes".

#12 of 16 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,767 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 09 2002 - 09:16 AM

UK Conan the Destroyer lists "Informative Liner Notes" as a special feature. As opposed to uninformative notes I suppose Posted Image

#13 of 16 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 09:56 AM

LOL, yep, I still get a laugh out of Disney's first animated releases. "Full color disc art!" They even tried to make this sound like it was truly special by saying that with the disc art, children would know which side faced up when they put the disc in a player.

#14 of 16 Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 04:18 PM

Now if they would just stop calling the printed insert a "Collectible Booklet."

Seriously, I remember in '97 when I first picked up a DVD and read "Interactive Menus" and "Scene Access" on the box, I wondererd what the fuck is this? A video game?

#15 of 16 Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted February 10 2002 - 10:53 AM

Quote:
The features you want!? When did this movie come out since it is a bare bones disc?

It comes out this week. It surprised me as it's very unlike New Line to release a bare bones disc much less to brag about the so-called features.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#16 of 16 Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted February 10 2002 - 03:34 PM

I can just see it now....

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Pause, stop, and reverse-play modes!
- Every frame of the movie freezable! See each frame frozen one by one!
- The complete movie soundtrack, similar to how it played in theatres! BONUS: Soundtrack is actually SYNCED with the actor's voices!
- The complete end-movie credit sequence!
- The title of the film, printed ON THE DISC!!!
- A gold look on the underside of the disc!
- Audio-switching! Switch between any of our two audio tracks by going back to our static menu's and starting the whole movie again from the beginning!
- A plastic protective case keeping you from having to leave the disc just lying around!
- BONUS: The ability to eject the disc at any moment! (The most cherished feature!)
- Mark Kalzer

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow