-

Photo
- - - - -

"Amelie" or "In the Bedroom"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,540 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 07 2002 - 08:36 PM

Man, life in an average size midwestern city sucks the big one for a film buff, the only films you see at your local theaters are main releases such as "Rollerball", "Collateral Damage", or "Big Fat Liar". I had my heart set on seeing "Monster's Ball" today but unfortunately for me, it isn't opening in my local area this weekend. Oh well, at least "Amelie" and "In the Bedroom" are opening. Both of those titles I was going to wait until I bought the dvds but now due to my desire to get over my disappointment of not seeing "Monster's Ball" I need to see at least one film with some substance which rules out Arnold and those other two main releases. So my question to HTF's film buffs is which film will give me the most cinematic pleasure? Or should I see both? Thanks for any responses.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#2 of 38 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 09:19 PM

Hilarious Crawdaddy, same damn thing happened to me, with Monster's Ball none-the-less. I even made a post about it...and I would comment on Amelie or In the Bedroom, but "Backhills, Indiana" hasn't gotten them yet either, hehe.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#3 of 38 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 07 2002 - 10:05 PM

I haven't seen Amelie yet, I seem to keep missing it and it is high on my must see list, as is Monsters Ball.

I did see In The Bedroom, and thought it was a decent, if not somewhat overrated,
film with very good acting.

I guess it depends on what mood you're in since they apparently are two very different films.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#4 of 38 Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 10:22 PM

Robert,

I've never been more sure of a recommendation, than I am about the following:

See 'Amelie'. I saw it 3 times here in London when it was released last year. It is a magical, breathtaking film. It's amazingly funny, and beautifully shot. The performances are wonderful, and its just such a gentle, touching story. Its one of the all time greatest French movies, and you MUST NOT pass up the chance of seeing this one in a theater. If you perfer to watch the DVD, then the French R2 version is great - but you have to be able to speak French. Posted Image Overall, 6/5.

I saw 'In the Bedroom' last week, and, although its a brilliantly thoughtful, superbly acted script, it isn't everything the critics have made it out to be. Tom Wilkinson is marvelous in his role. And it is far more emotionally complex than your average revenge drama. But its pace is unusually ploding, and the plot's relevatory twists and turns are remarkably predictable. 4/5 for acting and direction.

See 'Amelie'. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#5 of 38 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 12:48 AM

These are two very different films. You should have a fun time watching Amelie. It is a breath of fresh air with a nice story and some fine cinematography.

In The Bedroom is an acting piece and emotionally involving, as well, with some very good directing and camera work from Todd Field.

In my judgement, you should see both of them as they are two of this year's best films.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#6 of 38 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 01:43 AM

I haven't seen (and won't be seeing) Amelie, but I can easily recommend In the Bedroom. I agree with Paul that's it's been critically overhyped, and I've been predicting some sort of backlash for a while. But its few weaknesses are in the writing and pacing; the acting is some of the best to grace the screen in recent years.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#7 of 38 Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 01:49 AM

Two terrific films. I'd go watch Amelie again before seeing In the Bedroom.
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#8 of 38 Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 03:23 AM

I'm with Mark on this one.

Fortunately for me, "Monster's Ball" opened here in Omaha today. Posted Image

#9 of 38 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 07:07 AM

Another vote for Amelie. One of the best films I've seen this year. To be fair, I haven't seen In The Bedroom.

Jason

#10 of 38 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 08:16 AM

Amelie will probably be the more overall joyful experience. I think it's direction is more lively and invigorated, the pace is kept and a brisk but steady level.

In the Bedroom is a little too slow, although the story itself does demand a lower pace. I just think it could still run a tad faster. Also, it is more of a minimalist style, very little soundtrack except at a few key moments. The acting is excellent and it's a quality film, but Amelie is simply more full of life.

Matt, drive down to Castleton. Monster's Ball just opened there today. Posted Image They also still have Gosford Park and In the Bedroom. Robert's dream theater I guess. Posted Image

#11 of 38 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,491 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted February 08 2002 - 09:05 AM

Crawdaddy, I'm with most of the respondents here. In The Bedroom is a great film, with some of the best performances of the year. But if you can pick only one, go with Amelie. You will come out of the theater walking on air (and probably in love with Audrey Tautou). It's the best "feel good" film in a long time.

And now I'm off to see Monster's Ball (sorry about that). Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 38 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,540 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 08 2002 - 09:55 AM

Seth,
You know I lived in Bloomington for years and I would head up Highway 37 to Naptown for an occasional viewing of an obscure film like "Gettysburg". Man, I missed those days! Anyhow, I'm going to the first matinee tomorrow to watch "Amelie" and hopefully, next week "Monster's Ball" will open here.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 38 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 10:14 AM

For starters, I have seen both movies. I mean, why even post in this thread if you haven't. Never mind.
I agree with most of the other posters, see Amelie first.
In The Bedroom has a lot to recommend, I just loved a scene where Sissy was in closeup and she reminded me of a Wyeth painting, and she was reading a Wyeth bio in bed earlier in the film.
Amelie is the DVD I'll be buying and watching again and again.

Jim

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#14 of 38 Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 12:35 PM

Robert, you should see both.

~T

#15 of 38 Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 01:00 PM

The two movies couldn't be more different. Some complain about In The Bedroom simply being too slow, well, Amelie sure is different. For me, Amelie is overcooked with its cinematography, music, editing, and overall urge to please. In the Bedroom is simple in its stylistic choices in comparison, but allows the audience to breathe along with the movie.

#16 of 38 Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron

Screenwriter

• 2,541 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 02:20 PM

Amélie is the better film.

#17 of 38 Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 02:26 AM

I think In the Bedroom is the better film, but there's just something about Amelie that brought a smile to my face. If you're in the mood for a feel-good film rather than a dark drama, see Amelie first.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#18 of 38 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:57 AM

I remember that you knew Indy, forgot it was Bloomington. (i hope none of that had to do with IU)

The sad thing is that Indy's film situation sucks compared to Houston or Seattle. I understand your pain of going to an even smaller market in the film food chain. Posted Image

Anyway, In the Bedroom is worth the time at the theater also I think, just not before Amelie (IMO).

ItB is worth it just for the climatic confrontation between Spacek and Wilkinson. 2 actors with about 20 minutes of great dialog working off of each other.

#19 of 38 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,242 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted February 09 2002 - 02:37 PM

Well, after seeing Amelie today, thanks EdwinPosted Image, I can now without reservation proclaim that Amelie is, by far, the better of the two films. I urge all HTF members to see it ASAP, and not miss it in theaters as I almost did.

Both films are so different in the moods they evoke that comparing them is almost unfair...almost.

But since we were asked, Amelie is a wonderful, romantic, quirky, beautifully written, photographed fable of life, love and destiny.

In The Bedroom is a good, but rather slow, depressing, predictable, very well acted tragic family drama.

In my eyes, it's no contest. Amelie wins easily.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#20 of 38 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 03:32 PM

Tino, because of this recommendation, I think you owe me a flick in one of New York city's finest theaters the next time I come to the city. Posted Image

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country