Jump to content



Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Too Much Static Electricity In The House...Help!


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

    Screenwriter



  • 2,237 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 06 2001

Posted February 07 2002 - 06:01 PM

I just got off the phone with my mother, and she says the static electricity in our house is the worst it's ever been; she can't even comb her hair. Can someone please tell me what the frig is happening? The only changes we've made before last winter was moving our computer all the way upstairs, and my mom thinks that's the source of the problem. Can someone comment on the situation?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

    Screenwriter



  • 1,721 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 30 2000

Posted February 07 2002 - 07:19 PM

I will comment, The heater running often or at all depending on the relative humidity of your locale can make the air very dry in the house resulting in static electricity. I would suggest getting a humidifier, or just boil some water on the stove 2 or 3 times daily (you may use a fan to spread the humidity), this will help alleviate the dry condition and should help eliminate the static electricity.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

    Screenwriter



  • 2,314 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 24 1999

Posted February 07 2002 - 07:29 PM

Living in FL, if there's ever a time when you can't brush your hair due to static electricity, you'd better duck. You're about to be struck by lightning.Posted Image



Humidity is too low in the house. If you're really curious, go to Radio Shack and get a thermometer with Humidistat on it. You'll probably find it well below 25%.



Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Kevin T

Kevin T

    Screenwriter



  • 1,407 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 12 2001

Posted February 07 2002 - 08:48 PM

alternately: find a cat (or small dog)...charge yourself up...enjoy! kevin t
religion is the opiate of the masses

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Anthony_J

Anthony_J

    Stunt Coordinator



  • 243 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 31 2001

Posted February 08 2002 - 11:16 AM

cats HATE static electricity, but it's fun none the less. my cat flinches when I pet it because I've pulled the "shock the cat" bit a few too many times. Oh well, I'd rather shock the cat than any of my electronics. Definitely get a humidifier if you want to get rid of static electricity, or move to a swamp.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

    Producer



  • 4,956 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 24 2001

Posted February 08 2002 - 11:36 AM

My car gets a lot of static electricity. I've gotten into the habbit of closing the door with my elbow, because if you touch it with your hand, you'll get shocked more often than not.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   paul_v

paul_v

    Second Unit



  • 320 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 18 2000

Posted February 08 2002 - 02:13 PM

I find vacuuming using a carpet powder helps with static electricity. Also using those fabric softner sheets that remove "static cling" helps too =). I have sweaters that I air dry and boy do they have a ton of static electricity since they dont get the fabric softner. Sean's suggestion on moistening up the air in your home will help deffinately help too.
Paul V

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   BryanW

BryanW

    Agent



  • 44 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 04 2001

Posted February 08 2002 - 09:57 PM

Go buy yourself a good humidifier or install one in your furnace just don't forget to shut it off in summer time. Good luckPosted Image

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

    Screenwriter



  • 2,237 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 06 2001

Posted February 09 2002 - 12:15 PM

sounds good everybody, thanks

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

    Producer



  • 6,109 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 20 2001
  • Real Name:Kenneth McAlinden
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted February 11 2002 - 06:44 AM

[quote]

My car gets a lot of static electricity. I've gotten into the habbit of closing the door with my elbow, because if you touch it with your hand, you'll get shocked more often than not.

[quote]At work, we had an Electric Ford Ranger pick-up truck as a pool car. It had no floor mats, just the rubber floor lining under the throttle and brake pedals. In the winter, while getting out of the vehicle, those who touched the screw head inside the grip of the door panel would often get a static shock. People would just about soil their drawers thinking it had something to do with the electric powertrain. Posted Image



Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

    Screenwriter



  • 1,815 posts
  • Join Date: May 24 2001

Posted February 11 2002 - 07:48 AM

Had frequent static problems during the winter until two years ago. At that time, I bought a new furnace and a whole house humidifier that tied into it (about $300, I think.) Haven't had a problem since.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users