What's new

Too Much Static Electricity In The House...Help! (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I just got off the phone with my mother, and she says the static electricity in our house is the worst it's ever been; she can't even comb her hair. Can someone please tell me what the frig is happening? The only changes we've made before last winter was moving our computer all the way upstairs, and my mom thinks that's the source of the problem.

Can someone comment on the situation?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I will comment, The heater running often or at all depending on the relative humidity of your locale can make the air very dry in the house resulting in static electricity.

I would suggest getting a humidifier, or just boil some water on the stove 2 or 3 times daily (you may use a fan to spread the humidity), this will help alleviate the dry condition and should help eliminate the static electricity.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Living in FL, if there's ever a time when you can't brush your hair due to static electricity, you'd better duck. You're about to be struck by lightning.:D
Humidity is too low in the house. If you're really curious, go to Radio Shack and get a thermometer with Humidistat on it. You'll probably find it well below 25%.
Todd

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
cats HATE static electricity, but it's fun none the less.

my cat flinches when I pet it because I've pulled the "shock the cat" bit a few too many times.

Oh well, I'd rather shock the cat than any of my electronics.

Definitely get a humidifier if you want to get rid of static electricity, or move to a swamp.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My car gets a lot of static electricity. I've gotten into the habbit of closing the door with my elbow, because if you touch it with your hand, you'll get shocked more often than not.

paul_v

Second Unit
I find vacuuming using a carpet powder helps with static electricity. Also using those fabric softner sheets that remove "static cling" helps too =). I have sweaters that I air dry and boy do they have a ton of static electricity since they dont get the fabric softner. Sean's suggestion on moistening up the air in your home will help deffinately help too.

BryanW

Agent
Go buy yourself a good humidifier or install one in your furnace just don't forget to shut it off in summer time. Good luck:D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My car gets a lot of static electricity. I've gotten into the habbit of closing the door with my elbow, because if you touch it with your hand, you'll get shocked more often than not.
At work, we had an Electric Ford Ranger pick-up truck as a pool car. It had no floor mats, just the rubber floor lining under the throttle and brake pedals. In the winter, while getting out of the vehicle, those who touched the screw head inside the grip of the door panel would often get a static shock. People would just about soil their drawers thinking it had something to do with the electric powertrain. :)
Regards,

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Had frequent static problems during the winter until two years ago. At that time, I bought a new furnace and a whole house humidifier that tied into it (about $300, I think.) Haven't had a problem since.

Users who are viewing this thread