What's new

JFK Material on DVD (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any of you ever see 1964's excellent documentary "Four Days In November" (narrated by Richard Basehart), about the assassination of JFK?

It's a great documentary film, although I'm sure it rubs the professional conspiracy theorists the wrong way, because it's based solely on the Warren Report. Still, a fascinating re-creation of events.

Anybody have any idea if MGM/UA plans on a DVD release of "4 Days"? I sure would snap it up!

Another JFK film I'd love to see (on ANY format actually) is 1964's "Years of Lightning, Day of Drums", narrated by Gregory Peck. This was a documentary award-winner, in fact.

Anybody ever see it?

Thank you for any thoughts.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I have not seen either of those documentaries, but I'll definitely look into them.

I recommend Image of an Assassination: A New Look at the Zapruder Film. This is the Zapruder Film after a digital restoration.

The History Channel's The Men Who Killed Kennedy is now scheduled for release on 2/26, but it has been pushed back many times.

Unfortunately only available on VHS, but I also recommend JFK Assassination: The Jim Garrison Tapes. You can find it reasonably priced on half.com

Gregory

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I think any removal of the towers from the film would have been about the way it would 'date' the movie. You see them and it means 'before' so a film like Spiderman doesn't want to look like took place a year ago, does it?
SORRY (EDIT) - I was sure I was in the Spiderman teaser thread when I posted this. :b :confused: :crazy: :b

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Meanwhile, I'd like to recommend an excellent documentary about the lives of this man and his family, from PBS's The American Experience--The Kennedys, a superb two-part documentary (four hours total), that traces the dynasty's origins, beginning with Joseph P. Kennedy rise to and fall from power, the emergence of his sons as a political force, the unforgettable ascendency of John F. Kennedy to the White House and his administration's epic three years, and, finally, the careers of his brothers Robert and Edward.

This entire documentary has been issued on two separate DVDs. And it's currently the very best film involving the thirty-fifth president that has been transferred to DVD.

The man was more interesting alive, in my opinion.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Four Days In November" is an outstanding film with a terrific Elmer Bernstein score and holds up far better than any of the conspiracy films put out since. There have been some fine documentaries since that effectively debunk conspiracy theories including the 1992 and 1993 CBS specials "Who Killed JFK? Facts Not Fiction" (released on VHS) and the superior "Who Killed JFK? The Final Chapter" (not on video alas) and the 2000 A+E documentary "False Witness" which should be seen by anyone who thinks there was serious substance to Jim Garrison.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies (Greg, Jack, & Eric) ..... I've got all of the programs you guys have mentioned (except "False Witness"). All worthwhile JFK entries.

The "New Look at the Zapruder Film" DVD is indeed a keeper....esp. for the wealth of extra stuff on the disc. Something I had never had on video was the complete WFAA (Dallas) interview w/Mr. Z, conducted just hours after the assassination. Crystal clear and what appears uncut. Worth the price just for that!

Any of you 3 guys seen "The End of Camelot" special (Discovery Ch.)? This is a very good one too. Plus, the Robert Groden 2-tape video set called "The Case For Conspiracy", which contains lots of heretofore unreleased motorcade footage. Check them out (if you can still find 'em somewhere).

What about DVD for any of these, esp. "4 Days"?? I hope someday. Maybe for the 40th anniv. in '03, huh?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
What I always find most fascinating to me about JFK is the original TV and radio coverage and I think it should be mentioned that a good deal of that does circulate among collectors. There was A+E's 1988 replay of NBC coverage of the assassination (unedited), and WFAA's "The Kennedy Tapes" which replayed their local coverage of the assassination and ABC national coverage.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eric ...... Yes, I agree. The TV stuff is fascinating. I have a 2-tape edition from Video Yesteryear that runs 4+ hrs. and includes the aforementioned NBC "As It Happened" footage from 11/22/63. Very interesting. Although I wish I had the complete 6+ hrs. that NBC aired in '88 (w/Edwin Newman hosting). I'm missing the last 2 hrs. on mine. But still good.

You intrigued me w/the info on WFAA. I'd like to see this "complete" 11/22 footage from that Dallas affiliate. Any place to buy it?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
WFAA replayed about 12 hours of their coverage over a several night span way back in 1983 on the 20th anniversary of the assassination. This included coverage of the arrival in Dallas, the local interruption with news about the shooting (where the WFAA program director is a nervous wreck getting through the info) and also features ABC coverage from the rest of the day. Unfortunately they haven't aired it since and only those fortunate to have taped it that one time have copies and those who have gotten low generation versions like me in trades.

I believe that Radio Yesteryear also sells unedited radio coverage of the assassination from CBS, including the break in to local programming on WCBS.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for this info Eric. I'm always interested in adding to my JFK tapes.
I recently added this audio CD, which is quite nice. Got this one? .......
Link Removed

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Didn't know that one was rereleased on CD. I have a cassette dub of the LP.

Three hours of WFAA radio coverage can be accessed at the Dallas News website and is well worth dubbing. Among the staff announcers reporting on the assassination is Ted Cassidy, two years before he became Lurch on The Addams Family.

Randy Duncan

Auditioning
There have been some fine documentaries since that effectively debunk conspiracy theories including the 1992 and 1993 CBS specials "Who Killed JFK? Facts Not Fiction" (released on VHS) and the superior "Who Killed JFK? The Final Chapter" (not on video alas) and the 2000 A+E documentary "False Witness" which should be seen by anyone who thinks there was serious substance to Jim Garrison.
Sorry, but I have to disagree most strongly with Eric's position on this one. As a student of 11/22/63 for many years (and as someone who has spoken with Dallas neurosurgeon Kemp Clark - the man who actually examined Kennedy's head wound and declared the president dead), the above mentioned pieces debunk conspiracy about as much as does a trip to the Sixth Floor. They are well-produced programs, but little more. Serious (that's the key word) review of the official version of events leave far too many questions unresolved.
Sorry to get tangential -- I realize that was not the intent of the thread! :)
Elrand
Logic + Reason = Truth
Common Sense is our ally.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
E-mail me for what my response would be Randy, and that we can keep from getting any more tangential as to this thread and this forum.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The Z-film is not doctored nor has it ever been. There are several frames missing because of mishandling by a Life magazine technician during the days they had control of the film, but lower quality copies were made before the mishap and the frames now missing from the original are not significant enough to warrant putting a lesser quality version visually out IMO (they can be seen in moderate conspiracy author Josiah Thompson's book). "Image Of An Assassination" which I've seen on VHS is the best version of the original one will ever see.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the "SEX" alterations ....... HOGWASH!!
My question would be: WHY do this? For what purpose? What do these "supposed" alterations have to do with the debate re. a conspiracy, or "more than one shooter"?!
It's soooo stupid!
In the one circled example of "sex" in frame 312, I guess if you look hard enough, the letter "S" might come to mind....but it takes quite a bit of imagination to turn that into "sex".
In a dusty/grainy film like the Z film, you could probably use your imagination and come up with a myriad of words that are "spelled out" by the artifacts! It's silly! People see what they want to see in matters such as this!
Again....What is the purpose for including such vile subliminal messages in this historic film?
Back to what matters ...... Hey Eric, have you ever noticed (upon your scrutiny of the famous Z film) that frame 312, exposed just a fraction of a second before the fatal head shot, is by far the clearest frame in the whole 26-sec. film? I've always thought this was kind of eerie....that the frame just before the "biggie" was the clearest. Remarkably clear in fact. Do a step search with your DVD on this....and you'll see the improved quality from 311 to 312. Eerie.
I suppose the next thing will be the word "sex" showing up in Kennedy's brains after they were exposed by the rifle shot!! :angry:

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Hey Eric, have you ever noticed (upon your scrutiny of the famous Z film) that frame 312, exposed just a fraction of a second before the fatal head shot, is by far the clearest frame in the whole 26-sec. film? I've always thought this was kind of eerie"

I've probably looked at that a thousand times over the years and never gave that too much thought, actually.

Incidentally, the WFAA coverage I mentioned has among other things a studio interview with Zapruder and the anchor mentions trying to get his film developed for later showing. As it turned out, WFAA didn't have the facilities to develop 8MM film so because of that they missed a chance to have the biggest scoop ever, and the opportunity for the public to see it 12 years before they did was lost.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Quote:

I have found a webpage on this. Well, I have changed my mind, I want the uncut original version of the Zapruder film!
http://www.onlinetoday.com/~smyers/jfk/zapruder.html
z253-2-subl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks