What's new

Help Save the Spiderman: WTC Teaser for the DVD! (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
With Spiderman coming out in May. You know that the dvd will be out later this year. I think it would be a big mistake to leave the WTC Teaser out of the dvd.. I would think it would help to have either a dedication from the cast and crew or even a small intro by Sam Raimi..

I have heard rumors that the dvd will be loaded. I think many fans would want the teaser for the spiderman movie. I come to you the home theatre forum for help. WE have been able to change the studio's mind about pan and scann and letterbox, I think we should rally behind this.

What do you think??

thanks for the support.

JACOB

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There is no need to put the WTC footage on the DVD. Already there have been countless tributes to the victims of the WTC. Showing the WTC is sure to invoke an emotional response from alot of people, especially those personally effected. Just because an intro has been added from the director, does not change the fact that just the sight of the towers could bring people to tears.

Also, if I am not mistaken, there will be no footage of the WTC in the final movie anyway, so not releasing this teaser wouldn't be a hypocritical move.

WE have been able to change the studio's mind about pan and scann and letterbox, I think we should rally behind this.
I do not see the relation in this whatsoever. How does putting back in material that could be considered offensive to those that this tragedy personally touched, have any bearing on the studios' stance on P&S? There are many other things this forum as a whole could pull our resources for, then just one teaser trailer.

J

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am just talking about the teaser..I am not talking about putting it back into the movie.

JACOB

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, I don't think we need it either. However, I do think that trying to censor out any references to the WTC at this point is borderline ridiculous. Virtually every picture of the NY skyline taken before sept 11 had the towers as the most prominent feature.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I am just talking about the teaser..I am not talking about putting it back into the movie.
It was never in the movie, only in the teaser trailer. Either just a neat image to put out there before the film was ready, or a bit of test footage somebody didn't want to go to waste. But there is no such scene in the movie and there never was. As for "saving" the teaser, I really don't see the point. Nor is anybody seriously suggesting that the WTC be removed from films released prior to September 11th, anymore than that the Pentagon should. But for films being released into a world where that landmark is gone I think the studios are being properly circumspect about the issue.

Regards,

Joe

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I would say that it should be included.

as an extra, perhaps with a commentary or intro.

It is of historical interest, and a darn good teaser.

If people are upset by it, well thats just an extra to skip, but i think that it should be the viewer's choice.

If the filmmakers object though, well then thats something else, but if you ask me, id like to see it again.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
This happened during my final week as a projectionist after nearly 8 years; I removed the one copy of the teaser that was still playing and saved it.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think it including the WTC trailer would be cool but I understand why they would not. Either way I'll just be sure to hold onto the copy thats on my hard drive......

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
or perhaps as an easter egg... so those who do not want to see it.. don;t have to search for it.

JACOB

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Definately include the teaser and a pic of the teaser poster that was removed from theaters.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Also, if I am not mistaken, there will be no footage of the WTC in the final movie anyway, so not releasing this teaser wouldn't be a hypocritical move.
If I can hunt down the interview, which I believe was at Zap2it.com the footage from the teaser was never part of the film, butthe the towers are in the actual movie itself, in a couple of the background shots.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree that an easter egg is the way to go for including this teaser. There are precedents for other films on DVD having some of their teasers and trailers hidden away.
Just give the project to Van Ling! :D

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: Sorry the link I posted went to the correct site but I did not realise that that particular trailer was pulled and is no longer available for download. (Or it might have been edited down to remove the WTC part of the teaser).

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
I thought that the teaser had something to do with the WTC in it? A helicopter was caught or something?!?
The one on that site is just Spidey swinging around. :confused:
Adrian
--------------------
I see you caught that already! Anybody else know of somewhere it might be?
A

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I am all for putting the teaser on the DVD. The WTC teaser for Spider-Man was easily one of the best Trailers that I have ever seen period. Please put this on the DVD and if you must add a disclaimer for people who don't want to watch it. I would consider it a great injustice if this trailer is not preserved for the future.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yep, I'd like to see it on the disc.

I'm not sure it needs any big intro. Just a flash screen maybe saying why this original teaser was pulled.

Superman II still has the WTC towers on the cover.

Maybe they can keep it in the international versions even if they don't want to risk it in the U.S. market.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I don't see anything wrong with putting it on there with an explanatory message, but it certainly doesn't have to be a crusade. If they don't want to use it, I completely respect the decision. It falls in a gray area of the "when was it released" test -- it's a teaser that was released pre-attack for movie released post-attack.

I am completely against re-editing pre-attack releases to take out the towers, but at the same time, I sure do flinch when I see them. The old title sequence of Sex and the City is particularly jarring for some reason. I'm glad they changed it going forward.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread