Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Help me buy a gaming PC!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JaredB

JaredB

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted February 06 2002 - 10:42 AM

Okay, I'm a Mac guy. I hate PCs. But I'm man enough to admit that for gaming the PC is still where it's at (for the forseeable future anyway)

Is there someone that would be able to tell me what my best bang for the buck option would be if I wanted to buy a PC just for gaming?

Any input or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted February 06 2002 - 11:40 AM

Can you build computers yourself or prefer to buy them pre-built? Building them yourself is always the best option as you pick and choose the parts that are optimal for gaming. But you can also specify many things on custom built systems, you just end up paying more.

I'd recommend Dell but they have that annoying freak in their commercials. Posted Image If cost is truly no issue take a look at Alienware.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted February 06 2002 - 04:30 PM

check out GameSpot. They just did an article on the current starter/middle/ultimately equipped PCs.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Masood Ali

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted February 06 2002 - 05:55 PM

Hate to say it, but if you have zero experience building computers, save yourself the hours upon hours of building/troubleshooting and just buy yourself a cheap Gateway/Dell. They're running specials right now, with sub-$1000 2GHz P4/256-512MB RAM/40GB HD/DVD/CD-RW and even a half decent video card (which you can always pop out and replace at your whim).

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Andre F

Andre F

Screenwriter

• 1,492 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 12:04 AM

I bought a Dell a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I just keep updating it with more RAM etc. It's been very good to me.
-Andre F
-Andre F

-= Impossibility is a concept created by those unwilling to try... =-

My Home Theater

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Rob Varto

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor

• 714 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 12:29 AM

My plan is to get a loaded rig from www.ibuypower.com sometime in March.
They have a fully customizable feature and a decked out rig is about $1100.
1. Steal Underpants
2. ???
3. Profit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users