What's new

Help, my movie posters keep wrinkling inside the frame. (1 Viewer)

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone else having trouble keeping your posters nice and flat inside the frame? I have the black metal frames from ShowOffDisplays and I purchased the posters from AllPosters. I went out and purchased foam board, cut it to the size of the frame, and I even purchased spray adhesive to stick the poster on the board. However, the posters still fall and get wrinkled inside the frame. They seemed to do great for about a month, but now they have all become wrinkled as they have pulled away from the foam board inside the frames.
Is there a trick to keep these posters nice and flat inside the frames? I would certainly appreciate any suggestion you all might have as this is getting frustrating.
Thanks!

MarkMaestas

Agent
You could take it to a framing or photography shop and they can dry mount the poster to the foam board. This is a process where they use a heated press to melt an adhesive paper between photos and the foam board. This will take out the wrinkles on the posters. It is a permanent process. You could buy the adhesive paper at a photo supply store and heat seal it yourself with an iron if you want to save some money.

Mark

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Is the paper low quality or the room humid? I've never had a problem with posters wrinkling and I just use tape curled and placed in corners, and areas in the middle.

Maybe the glue adhesive you used might have caused the wrinkles.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I concur with the humidity theory. Unless they have no value, you should never attempt to glue or dry-mount a movie poster. It's a permanent process that destroys the value of the piece.

You might want to try arcchival-quality artist's mounting tape - I think 3M makes it and you can get it at art supply stores - and carefully tape the top and bottom edges of the poster to your foamboard prior to framing. If you have a humidity problem, this might be enough to keep the poster from wrinkling.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions.
Well, I don't notice it being very humid in the room but I suppose it might be.
I just figured that it was due to the weight of the posters since they are so large. So I got some spray adhesive and foam board thinking that would solve the problem. Unfortunately, they still fall over time. I even tried a different brand of spray adhesive thinking I got a weak brand but alas it didn't hold the posters longer than a month either.
I might get them dry mounted, the posters are cheap replicas so I doubt they will ever have any value.
Thanks again!

MarkMaestas

Agent
Dry mounting will probably ruin the "collectibilty" of any poster that you dry mount which is why I mentioned that it is a permanent process in my previous post. Then again, I would think that the wrinkles in your posters would hurt their value as well. I doubt that you can salvage your existing wrinkled posters except by dry mounting. But, I would speak with some poster and frame shops in your area. If it is the humidity, I'm sure they have encountered the problem before and may be able to recommend some ways to remedy the problem. Maybe sealing the back of the frame with some sort of tape to keep the humidity out?? It wouldn't hurt to ask, especially before you buy more posters. Even if you don't think they are worth anything now, who knows what will be valuable in the future.

Good Luck

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks