Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Let's make snide comments at the expense of the Super Bowl Performers thread!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 02:34 PM

Barry Manilow did a dreadful job keeping up with his lip synching, eh? Also, who did his wax figure makeup? Creepy.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 06:10 PM

I thought U2 did very well...had me choked up when they scrolled the list of casualties from the bombing...
Michael Alletto

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Larry Price

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 06:14 PM

Also choked up, especially when I saw the name of the person I knew.
Larry

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 06:38 PM

No offense to the two of you that choked, but doesn't a scrolling lists of names seem a bit tasteless to you. U2 is basically a big bloated super-kmart of music, playing at the big fiasco bloated event of the year and they scroll across a list of people who died? I'm not sure how turning people into names, or what is worse a super bowl half time show, honors the memory of people. Even more so, it wasn't like a moment to remember people- it was just used as a backdrop for a half time show. Maybe I missed the pont, but it seemed to be to offer more of a disservice to these people to turn them into a commodity, as part of a "half time show" while a band rocked out in the foreground. Call me silly. -Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:12 PM

And what's the deal with the list of names? It stopped after the "C"s; I couldn't tell if that was planned or if there were technical difficulties. Either way, it seemed like a bad idea.

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:28 PM

[quote]

Call me silly.

[quote]
You're silly. Posted Image

I liked the tribute.

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:35 PM

I thought scrolling the names of those that died on 9/11 was appropriate. What better place to honor them than at the most watched event of the year? That was basically what the U2 Halftime show was about...to honor the victims of 9/11. I didn't see anything wrong with it. You guys are thinking about it too much. Just look at it for what it was...honoring the victims. How could that be a bad thing? "U2 is basically a big bloated super-kmart of music"...does the fact that you despise the band have something to do with your take on it? Don't know.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:38 PM

I think that if a memorial is built it should include the names of the victims, so for me I liked the tribute. I thought it fit the song. As far as it being in the middle of the superbowl I can see how some might not like it. But for me it worked. If it had been a boy band or Brittany Spears I would not have liked it, but U2 has given extreme amounts of money to charities that strive for world peace. For me that lent more credibility to the tribute. But to each his own.
The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,933 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:44 PM

Vince:

Ditto!

I just keep thinking back, as well, to the initial public announcement by the Super Bowl organizers that they wanted a quintessential American band to set just the right tone for this post-September 11th Super Bowl -- U2!?!?!?!?Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:45 PM

[quote]

does the fact that you despise the band have something to do with your take on it? Don't know.

[quote]

I actually like U2, and if you knew anything about the band you'd know that they called themselves bloated-- and launched their entire tour "Pop mart" at Kmart to poke fun at how they are cheesy specticle.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 07:59 PM

There was a game today?

Funny, no one mentioned it.

Posted Image
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,933 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:02 PM

Just a couple weeks till pitchers and catchers report!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:18 PM

Yeah, I thought the tribute was tacky. AND, it seems to me that they dropped the back-cloth to look like the WTC coming down. Creepy! But, hey, this is America- the show MUST go on! Actually, I thought the whole pre-game "Football=heroes=patriotism" theme was just crap. Riding on the coat tails of our 2nd largest National tragedy- Depraved, IMO. I'm not exactly sure how to pay tribute to those that perished, but if that was it, it says something very bad about our country. Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:27 PM

Vince--I'm sorry. Your comments led me to believe that you didn't much care for the band. My mistake. I know PLENTY about U2, having been a fan from the early 80's. Yeah, the whole ZOO TV Tour and Pop Mart extravaganza was done to poke fun at themselves and what they had become. But in no way can you say that the band's halftime show tonight should be taken in the same vein. Well, I guess you can if you want to view it that way, but I am sure that was not U2's intentions. I thought it was simply a nice tribute.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:29 PM

Does anyone else here think that Mariah Carey singing the National Anthem was horrible? It seems like all these big name stars want to personalize it with their own little twist or flavor. I forgot which game but I also remember Whitney Houston doing much of the same only she was louder and let her voice go on and on and on (there’s a term for that but I don’t know what it is). At first I thought Mariah could do an awesome job because how high her voice goes. I also thought with all the trouble she’s been going through she would really make it sound heartfelt. The National Anthem already has defined places where a person’s voice is supposed to peak. Hum it to yourself. I think you will understand what I mean. Next time they should get some unknown kid to or older person to sing it right.

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:30 PM

DAMN!! I believe you guys are looking at this thing all the wrong way! Geez. Try standing right side up and taking a look! There, you see it now? It is a TRIBUTE for God's sake!

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   David Werner

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 08:44 PM

However ironic the Dublin boys are, a show viewed by the millions has some poetic justice. Why not take this time to show rememberance to the lost lives? I find it a good change of pace versus the strictly "Please entertain me" halftime extravaganza, your mileage may vary as I'm sure it will. I liked itPosted Image

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 10:35 PM

I'm still not sure what to think about the way the tribute 'bed sheet' with the names was brought down...

I mean, was it supposed to symbolize the towers crashing to earth? I'm not sure, but I think I find that a bit tasteless. Posted Image Don't know what I'm thinking about it really. confused.

Or is it something completely different?

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg_Y

Greg_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted February 04 2002 - 04:41 AM

I only caught the end of the halftime junk but seeing McCartney sing with Terry "my commercials should be banned from the airwaves" Bradshaw made me go "Wuht!?". As if Wings wasn't enough of a disservice to the world of music ... now this!

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted February 04 2002 - 08:29 AM

I, too, kinda gasped when the sheet came falling down. I truly wonder if that was an accident, as the continued projecting names after it fell (you could see the projections on the band members faces). Didn't care for it at all. And then, to have a tribute to America superbowl with an Irish band??? Maybe I'm thinking to hard about this, but wouldn't a true American band have been better?? I was fairly bored through halftime.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users