What's new

The next Sci-Fi saga (1 Viewer)

Steve_AA

Agent
What will be the next sci-fi movie saga? Or maybe I should say will there ever be another sci-fi movie saga?

With all the current CGI technology capabilities, I'd love to see someone attempt another big project movie or series of movies similar to Star Wars. It could be an original story or based on any number of current sci-fi books.

With the success of the LOTR, it shows a 'difficult-to-bring-to-film' subject can be done. My personal wish would be to see Larry Nivens 'Ringworld' series come to film.

Any thoughts or gossip?

ace peterson

Second Unit
I myself wouldn't mind seeing Mary Stewart's Merlin chronicles brought to the big screen. Those are really good books if you like that sort of thing...

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I know this might not be what you are asking, but I think The Matrix series will be a pretty big franchise. Not Star Wars proportions, but big nonetheless.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Why not David Weber's Honor Harrington series... :)
Would depend on how well it was done of course. Hard to depict those huge space battles well.
Still, lots of fun stuff in those books; powered combat armor, gigantic spaceships fighting in formation, enemies that are truly evil and nasty... and a potentially cute sidekick in the treecat. Unfortunately you know they would just turn the treecat into a mindless cuddly thing...
Or else I wish they'd just do Starship Troopers the way it was supposed to be, with the Mobile Infantry fighting in powered armour suits capable of jumping over buildings etc.
Oh, and isn't it about time someone made a Mechwarrior movie?

Michael N

Auditioning
;) There is currently a new series of the 70's classic Battlestar Galactica in stop/start pre production mode! I'm new here so am not sure if I can post links.....BUT check out BattlestarGalactica.com for all the news.
BTW, Richard Hatch (Apollo from BSG) is working on his own original sci fi project, The Great War of Magellan. He is immensely popular for his BSG revival attempts and the legendary 'BSG: The Second Coming' trailer production. As his vision for a new BSG series is currently in red tape limbo, his Magellan project is in full swing. This is also in the pre production stage but has images and streaming video clips from the promo trailer reel created. Check out it's .com website.
FYI, Mike

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping Alex Proyas's Berserkers gets off the ground (based on Fred Saberhagen's novels), but, honest, what I'd like to see most of all is good science fiction that's not an adaptation.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I always loved the movie 2001. I would love to see the rest of the movies made into film. I saw 2010 and thought the story was good, but didnt like the movie all that much.

2061 and 3001 have interesting stories. I think they would make good movies.

I would love to see one of David Gemmels novels brought to the screen they are made for the screen. Jon Sannow would make an awesome screen presence.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Those Arthur Clarke novels are best left in the world of print, please. (Arthur Clarke is a personal hero of mine, but he has not written anything truly significant in the field since, oh, Rendezvous With Rama in 1973. The Songs of Distant Earth was okay, but that's all. As for those novels that attempt to take up and further the story set forth in a certain film by Stanley Kubrick, well, Dr. Clarke was easily influenced by the advances he was offered by Del Rey Books. I wish he had exercised betteer artistic judgment.

But please go back and note Jason's brief post. Now that's a glimmer of hope of which he speaks. And I agree: Let's see some genuine and original science fiction in cinema. The real thing. Not just space battles and loud explosions (in a vacuum no less).

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Jack: I assume you haven't heard of ACC's Childhood's End being made into a movie? The director is going to be "Boys Don't Cry"'s Kimberly Peirce. There's no screenplay yet, but it's definitely a ray of hope.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Steve. Thanks for joining the thread. You know, Childhood's End has been optioned since way back in the late '60s. It's constantly rumored, and it never happens. Tell me: Do you think Kimberly Pierce is up to such a project?

For the record, all: Childhood's End keeps ending up as "number one" in readers' polls ranking the greatest SF novels of all time. A great book--though Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz gets my vote for best-ever SF novel. Now that would be interesting to bring to film!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I heard that David Fincher is going to direct Rendezvous With Rama and Morgan Freeman will be in it.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Do you think Kimberly Pierce is up to such a project?
I have no idea. I haven't seen any of her movies, so I'll have to remain cautiously optimistic. I just hope the aliens are presented in the book as they are in the novel. It's hard to imagine a major studio not changing them so as to not offend that easily offended segment of the population. (you know what I mean)

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
I think there's a big possibility if anyone ever does a good version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. There's plenty of books for sequels, and the stories seem like they would translate well to movies. If they were made by someone who was a fan of the books and treated them with respect like Peter Jackson did.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
BTW, Richard Hatch (Apollo from BSG) is working on his own original sci fi project, The Great War of Magellan. He is immensely popular for his BSG revival attempts and the legendary 'BSG: The Second Coming' trailer production.
Given that I helped make that BSG trailer, I feel I can comment here. Richard would have been great to revive BSG, but unfortunately there are some huge obstacles in his way. Heck, it took the fact that Bryan Singer was attached to jumpstart the project out of limbo period. Until he can return to it, after X-Men 2 (aka 12-18 months) it's just not going to happen unless Tom DeSanto can find another celebrity

Jeff Kleist

Michael N

Auditioning
Jeff, what an honour to be on the same page as you! :D I'd love to discuss your adventure with you sometime. E mail me mate!
Totally OT, but you may be interested in the 6 foot Galactica replica I'm building at the moment? I can send you the links for some pics if you wish....
All the best, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks