-

Photo

Michael Mann's Crime Story TV Series--Any Plans For DVD Release?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted February 01 2002 - 10:12 AM

Crime Story aired back in 1986-88, with Dennis Farina as the lead character. IMO it was one of the best TV series of the 80's. Of course, I like pretty much anything Michael Mann does. The series was cancelled before it could wrap things up. That has always nagged at me. The '88 season (series) ending episode left the viewer with a cliffhanger that was never resolved. But such is TV.

Anyone know of any plans of bringing this TV series to DVD?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   MikeAW

MikeAW

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted February 01 2002 - 10:25 AM

They have the pilot, a film length "compilation" from the show on DVD out.

Here's the link...

http://www.amazon.co....764093-7815853

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted February 01 2002 - 10:59 AM

I remember Anchor Bay saying that they would release more episodes of Crime Story after the pilot DVD release. But as of now, who knows....

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael_Dal

Michael_Dal

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted February 02 2002 - 10:15 PM

Crime Story was such a good show, better than Miami Vice IMO. The 50s theme was so cool , with the pimped out hairdoos and finned cars and the Vegas strip. The show had a lot of style.

The problem with only releasing the pilot for a show like Crime Story is that the pilot is not that interesting by itself, more of an introduction than anything else. The show really became much more engaging as the season progressed and the plot and characters developed.

The other TV show from the 80s that I am dying to see on DvD is the first season of Wise Guy with Kevin Spacey, that show rocked..Kevin was clearly a master of his craft even then. For those who haven't seen the show, Spacey plays a psychotic drug lord who lusts after his sister.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor

• 884 posts

Posted February 03 2002 - 05:15 AM

Crime Story was a good show. It could have been great, but the episodes were incredibly uneven. Some were superb, the majority were pedestrian.

Still, every time I hear Del Shannon's "Runaway", I have fond memories of this show.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted June 30 2002 - 05:12 PM

That would be cool.

The first two seasons were some of the best episodic television I've ever seen (who can forget Vhing Rames' electric performance as a man pushed over the edge by his racist slumlord in Abrahams For the Defense, or Gary Sinise being held captive by Ray Luca in an abandoned factory. lit by a single shaft of light from a hole in the ceiling) but the show slipped considerably in the third season after the network tried to sex it up to attract female viewers; you knew the end was near when gruff, cigar-chomping Walter Clemons got a girlfriend! I seem to recall by then, Michael Mann had started distancing himself from the show, dismayed by what the network hacks were doing to his "vision."

You guys are aware Mann is dipping his toe into network television again this Fall, on CBS:

Best known for his visually arresting and high-profile movies (Heat, The Insider, Ali), Oscar ®-nominated director Michael Mann has also made a notable contribution to television history with such series as Miami Vice and Crime Story. Now he returns to his television roots for Robbery Homicide Division/LA, an intense look at the present-day Los Angeles Police Department.
In his first starring role in a television series, acclaimed actor Tom Sizemore (Saving Private Ryan) heads the cast as Sam Coleman, the obsessed chief detective of the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery-Homicide Division, who, along with the rest of his squad, tries to tackle the worst that this 24-hour city has to offer.

Mario
Beware the sting of the evil orange plastic ball
Visit The Big Ring

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:44 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the update Keith I!
Mario
Beware the sting of the evil orange plastic ball
Visit The Big Ring

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:36 AM

About ten years ago, they released a couple of episodes on laserdisc, but they released the entire series on VHS. That was a mixed bag; the tapes were recorded at EP. On the other hand, you got 4-6 episodes per tape, and each tape was modestly priced at about $10. They were certainly watchable.

The opportunity to upgrade will be a welcome one.

Charlie