What's new

Need info on Sound king 12 ga wire (1 Viewer)

Reza_A

Grip
HI all,

I am looking to buy 12 ga speaker wire. I have looking around and come accross to these choices: Home Depot, AR Pro series, and Sound King. I have seen both Home depot and AR 12 ga wires. I think their cover are too thick that make them inflexible. I haven't seen Sound King one.

Is anyone ever compare these three cables? is Sound King more flexible than the other two. I prefer to have the most flexible one. Thank you in advance.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't compared to the other two, but I am using the Sound King 12 gauge wire for my front speakers. I have found it to be very flexible and easy to work with. The insulation is clear, so the wire looks like thick shiny copper. I don't think you'll have a problem.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Higher strand count == more flexibility. The SoundKing is definitely more flexible than the HD wire. The 12awg SoundKing has 259 strands. Don't know about the AR Pro.

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Sound King is very flexible, almost like rope. It looks neater because it doesn't get too kinky when you bend it. It's also pretty cheap. I got mine a partsexpress.com $30 for a 100 ft. spool.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I use it too and really like it. I can't compare to the others, but I do find it to be very flexible and it doesn't have trouble with kinks. The insulation is thick, and I recommend that you get some decent cutters and strippers to work with it. I had some cheap ones and they just couldn't pull it off.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I also use SoundKing wire (from Parts Express) and it is excellent. One of the things that really pleasantly surprised me was how flexible it is, given its thickness.

Highly recommended.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I also got the 100' spool for $30 from Parts Express a month or so again. Was very impressed with it, nice and soft and very easy to work with, VERY flexible.

Highly recommended.

J

John Morris

I also use Sound King 10 gauge speaker cable and it is very flexible even at the 10 gauge thickness that I use.

BrianK

Auditioning
I am interested in the Sound King 12 gauge speaker wire, but I have to run it in the wall. Has anyone found out if it is approved for in wall installations?

Parts Express also sells some 12 gauge in-wall cable from Carol. It is only $21.50 for a 100 foot roll. Does anyone know if this is good wire or not?

Thanks!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, I just wired my first floor (4 main rooms) for sound with AR Pro Series CL3 rated in-wall 14 gauge 4 conductor cable. I got this for 50 cents a foot from audioadvisor.com. Given that my home is already built and finished, I wanted to run the 4 conductor cable to limit the number of runs and it also made sense given where my speakers are located. I believe this cable is made up of 105 strands per conductor. I found it to be pretty flexible yet stiff enough to make runs into the wall easier. The other thing is that audioadvisor let me buy it by the foot instead of fixed sized spools.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks