What's new

Gosh Darn, office space is a great movie (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I loved this movie since day one and continue to watch it. It was a mirror of my old job, they got corporate america to a "T".

Great movie which deserves a special edition.

Hey peterman, turn on channel 9, look at this chick!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
*Lumbergh voice* Yeah...I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with you there!

I too loved this movie. I held off on buying the DVD because I'm waiting for the special edition DVD, but I frequently watch my VHS copy of it.

I loved the way the movie poked fun of most everything about working in an office. Having worked in this type of setting I could appreciate all of the humor such as the changing lanes in traffic, the memo, the nuerotic co-worker, the monotonous and routine answering of the phones--it's all stuff that happens.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
You do realize that using God's name in vain is far more offensive than using "damn" ;)?
Anyways, yes Office Space is great.
-Tom

Chris

Senior HTF Member
When I worked at a .com (before it folded, coming up on two years now!) I always thought of the day as being horrible; watched Office Space and it struck me so much like my work day I about died laughing.. the "PC Load Letter" sequence is still one of the funniest damn things I think I've seen played out in a film.

It manages to capture almost exactly what it is like working in a horribly confused, focusless work environment.

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
Office space is definately one of my favorites. It does nail a lot of corporate stereotypes. And there are definately scenes that remind me of my old job. My only regret is there choice to attempt adding a plot in the last 30 minutes.

Mike

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of the gangsta rap with corporate America, I thought that was a nice touch.

The scene with the fax machine... that actually happened to me before I saw the movie, so of course, I almost wet myself laughing so hard.

Holy Shoot, I freakin' love this gosh darn movie!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of the gangsta rap with corporate America, I thought that was a nice touch.
Nay, a brilliant touch. Listening to Scarface saying "Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta" while watching slow-mo shots of Ron Livingston walking determinedly between the cubes in his office almost gave me a heart attack.

Ditto for the deliberately overdramatic sound effects when he clicks his mouse. And Livingston's nightmare about Lumbergh having sex with his girlfriend.

Livingston's last line in the movie also never fails to make me laugh. Brilliant reading on his part. Bring on the gosh-diddly-darn SE.

--Jefferson Morris

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I watched this movie almost a year ago and I was in our hero's exact same position. "It's not that I'm lazy, it's just that I don't care." I had even removed my cubicle wall that was blocking my view out the window a week before. Not quite with a push but I did have to get out the screw driver and move it off in front of the cube. I laughed so much in that movie. Fortunately I didn't end up like our hero. I just switched to another job doing work I really enjoy and do care about.

Chuck Anstey

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
What more can you say about Office Space. It's one of if not the funniest movie ever. I have said all I am going to say. I have to go watch Office Space again.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I gave away copies of the Office Space DVD (when Best Buy was letting them go a song) to all of my office mates for X-Mas gifts. They all loved it! And it's been the source of laughter as we compare and contrast the film with our existing working environment. :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I love the scene with Jennifer Aniston being reprimanded about wearing the "minimum" amount of "flair".

What makes the movie so funny, is there are really people out there like that!

I wonder if they get the jokes.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
the "PC Load Letter" sequence is still one of the funniest damn things I think I've seen played out in a film.
The only thing that I didn't like about that line, and this is a niggling, stupid thing of me:

If he was a computer programmer he would have known that "PC Load Letter" means "Paper Cartridge" Load Letter.

Ok, I'm done now. And Office Space is one of my favorite movies.

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I was a PC/Printer repair man for IBM for 4 years and to be honest, I had no idea PC stood for paper cartridge. Makes sense though now that I know.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Hrmph, didn't know that PC stood for Paper Cartridge either. I had always figured that it was just a HP-ism.
Been working with computers since 4th grade (awhile ago :) )

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Office Space is a great computer company satire that reminds me a lot of "Dilbert". I've read it was based on Mike Judge's own experience working in a company similar to Initech before he hit it big in animation with "Beavis and Butthead" and then "King of the Hill". And, based on the movie, he apparently worked in an office just before e-mail completely took over, because virtually no one sends paper memos anymore!
And I am also waiting for the SE DVD -- hopefully the "Milton" animated shorts that used to be on SNL are on the disc as an extra!

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Office Space is the reason that my goal in life is to be independently wealthy. I have about six years before I get out of college, so I'd better start scheming.

todd stone

Screenwriter
I had a rough day

I have to wake my ass up at 6am every day this week, drive up to vas calinas "ya im doing the drywall up there at the Mcdonalds"

LOL

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Tom Smykowski: It's a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"! You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO!

Michael Bolton: That is the worst idea I've ever heard!

Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea!

[Peter, Michael, and Samir around copier]

Peter Gibbons: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you'd do if you had a million dollars and you didn't have to work. And invariably what you'd say was supposed to be your career. So, if you wanted to fix old cars you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.

Samir: So what did you say?

Peter Gibbons: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.

Michael Bolton: That question is bull**** to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean **** up if they had a million dollars.

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.

Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.

Samir: No one is this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Nayee-Nanajar. Nayeenanajar.

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well, at least you're name isn't Michael Bolton.

Samir: You know, there's nothing wrong with that name.

Michael Bolton: There WAS nothing wrong with it. Until I was about 12 years old, and that no-talent-ass-clown BECAME famous and started winning Grammy's.

Samir: Why don't you just go by Mike, instead of Michael?

Michael Bolton: No way! Why should I change it? He's the one who sucks.

Bob Slydell: If you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah.

Bob Slydell: Great.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door--that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh--after that I sorta space out for an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Bob Slydell: I'd like to move us right to Peter Gibbons. We had a chance to meet this young man, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Bob Slydell: Looks like you've been missing quite a bit of work lately.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I wouldn't say I've been MISSING it, Bob.

Bob Slydell: Milton Waddams.

Bill Lumbergh: Who's he?

Bob Porter: You know, squirrelly looking guy, mumbles a lot.

Bill Lumbergh: Oh, yeah.

Bob Slydell: Yeah, we can't actually find a record of him being a current employee here.

Bob Porter: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him, but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Bob Slydell: So we just went a ahead and fixed the glitch.

Bill Lumbergh: Great.

Dom Portwood: So um, Milton has been let go?

Bob Slydell: Well just a second there, professor. We uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it will just work itself out naturally.

Bob Porter: We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem solved from your end.

Peggy: Now Milton, don't be greedy, lets pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece.

Milton Waddams: yea but last time i didn't receive a piece.

Peggy: Just pass.

[the cake passes and everybody but Milton gets a piece]

Milton Waddams: [whispering] I could set the building on fire.

Peter Gibbons: When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"

Lawrence: ****, no man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that, man.

Peter Gibbons: When I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie too!
Great quotes, but you left out the best part of one!
Some more good ones (I love IMDB!):
Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up!
===
Peter Gibbons: You're gonna lay off Samir and Michael?
Bob Slydell: Oh yeah, we're bring in some entry-level graduates, farm some work out to Singapore, that's the usual deal.
Bob Porter: Standard operating procedure.
Peter Gibbons: Do they know this yet?
Bob Slydell: No! No, of course not! We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week.
===
Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone)] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then ill set the building on fire.
===
Milton Waddams: I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.
===
Milton Waddams: Mr. Lumbergh told me to talk to payroll and payroll told me to talk to Mr. Lumbergh and I still have not received my paycheck and they moved my desk to storage room B and there was garbage on it.
(I love poor Milton)
===
Tom Smykowski: Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?
===
Peter Gibbons: I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I hoped it could be.
===
Peter Gibbons: When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"
Lawrence: Shit, no man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked saying something like that, man.
===
Samir: No! Not again! Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam! I swear to God one of these days I'm just going to kick this piece of shit out of the window.
===
Peter Gibbons: I don't like my job and I don't think I'll go anymore.
Joanna: You're just not gonna go?
Joanna: Won't you get fired?
Peter Gibbons: I don't know. But I really don't like it and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
Peter Gibbons: Uh-uh. Not really. I'm just gonna stop going.
Joanna: When did you decide all that?
Peter Gibbons: About an hour ago.
Joanna: So you're going to get another job?
Peter Gibbons: I don't think I'll like another job.
Joanna: Well what are you going to do about money? Bills?
Peter Gibbons: You know I never really liked paying bills, I don't think I'm going to do that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks