-

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer Placement Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Dan Stone

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted January 30 2002 - 08:52 AM

I've seen many discussions regarding subwoofer placement and for my room corner placement seems to work best. I've read that you should place the subwoofer as far into the corner as possible. This works fine with my current subwoofer which is forward firing with rear ports. I'm considering a new subwoofer though which is dual side firing with rear ports. Will corner placement still be recommended for this subwoofer? If so, should I place the one side firing woofer directly against the wall or should there be a bit of space between the two?

Thanks for any recommendations/info,

Dan
www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself

#2 of 4 joe logston

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted January 30 2002 - 12:37 PM

try in the corner with the sub on a 45 degree angalkeep about 12" away from the wall, and move the sub about an 1" at a time from wall till the sound gets better, if you dont like it at 12" thanks, joe

#3 of 4 ling_w

ling_w

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted January 30 2002 - 08:20 PM

Moving the sub 1" at a time is overkill. The distance between test locations should be 1/4 wave of one octave above the crossover freq. So for a 80 hz crossover freq, it should be around every 2ft in both X and Y position.

Orientation of the sub should not be much of an issue, as long as the port is facing the rear, to minimize the huffing and puffing, and you leave some space for the driver to pump out its sound.

#4 of 4 James Grasso

James Grasso

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 21 2003 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
Moving the sub 1" at a time is overkill.
1"=1 inch, 1'=1 foot