What's new

Can magnets screw up or erase DVDs? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Earlier while watching Shrek, I was cleaning the area I was sitting at. Not thinking, I put a magnet on the case, which had the second disc in it. I quckly realized what I did, and took it off. I put the disc in my player, and it started out ok. I'll have to check it thouroughly later. I hope I didn't do anything to screw it up.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
DVDs are optical, mot magnetic, media. You have nothing to worry about. Now, if you try that with a videotape, you're up a creek.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
DVD's are like music CD's and manufactured much the same way. The data is "pressed" into a metallic layer, not magnetically recorded like tapes or floppy discs so there is no way to erase the information. No more so than erasing a vinyl 45rpm record (you do remember them don't you) :D

Nick_Scott

Second Unit

...so there is no way to erase information..

On a related note:

My DVD players manual (RC5231z) says do NOT put

CD-R, or DVD-R discs into the player. It will

erase the information.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ways to destroy a DVD with a magnet:

Drop 500 pound magnet onto DVD.

Pour sand onto DVD surface and rub magnet across it - "erasing" the disc.

Tie string around magnet. Attach to hole in DVD to use as weight in a jar of hydrochloric acid.

Melt magnet and shape into bullet. Fire from large caliber rifle at DVD.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually if you melted a magnet and formed it into a bullet, most likely the magnetism would cease due to the domains realigning due to the great heat. However it would still blow holes in a DVD. :D
Actually if you got a really big magnet (think physics particle accelerators) and ran a DVD past it, the eddy currents may deform the metal layer within the DVD. One of my crazier physics profs working at SLAC once put his head through a large magnet there and said he "saw" strange colors.... :alien:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks