What's new

What's this about a Spaceballs Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I found this over at Dark Horizons under a section of DVD rumors...

"Other big releases on disc to look out for this year are special editions of "Spaceballs", "Amadeus", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Jerry Maguire", " The Color Purple", "Blue Velvet", "Glengarry Glenn Ross" and "Thelma & Louise". "Speed: 5-Star Collection" is on the way, as is "Frank Herbert's Dune: Special Edition", "Reservoir Dogs: 10th Anniversary Edition", and "It' a Wonderful Life: SE"."

Was anyone else aware of a Spaceballs Special Edition? I almost picked up the first one a few days ago, but if this SE news is true, I'm glad I didn't.

Does anyone know what is likely to be on this Special Edition?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I expect it'll be the same save for an anamorphic picture. With any luck they'll also frame it better for the nose gag.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Spaceballs! YAY! (I have a frickin' BETA copy of that lying around somewhere.)
Y'know, I met Jim J. Bullock (Prince Valium in Spaceballs) some years back (he was doing a show in a theatre I worked in) and I get the impression he wasn't happy with that movie. He actually offered to BUY my old beta tape just so he could destroy it. :laugh:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
He actually offered to BUY my old beta tape just so he could destroy it.
How would he do that, just by talking? He had a really annoying voice on the mediocre sitcom Too Close for Comfort. I am very sad that he is HIV-positive, but I still never really cared about him one way or another.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be a riot if Mel Brooks released Spaceballs-The Definitive Edition, by adding new digital effects, such as updating "Mr. VHS" to "Mr. DVD" (or better still-"Mr. D-VHS"). Maybe he could even include a face-to-face meeting between Lone Star and Pizza the Hut early in the film and a few more Mogs wandering around here and there. What a great sendup of ol' George that would be!

Ted K.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
That would be a neat idea.

I'd also pay to see a Spaceballs Episode One. Imagine the fun Mel Brooks could have spoofing Jar Jar, the Gungans, midi-clorians, etc.

Now that's a sequel/prequel I'd love to see.

Jared M

Stunt Coordinator
according to the commentary, they filmed 2 hours and 19 minutes. the version on the dvd now is about an hour and a half. i wanna see some seamless branching option with the missing footage in anamorphic widescreen dobly digital 5.1 or dts of course.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
An upcoming special edition of Spaceballs would explain why I've seen it priced at $9.99 at B&M stores. I almost purchased this the other day as well, but I'm glad I passed. I will be buying the SE if/when it becomes available.

Travis D

Second Unit
Yeah, the Nose gag was a side effect of Mr. Overscan. Plus the idea of updating it (via Seamless Branching of course) is great. Also, name it Spaceballs: Ludacris Edition.

P.S. - If they decide to include coverart this time around on the DVD, for the love of pete put, "Spaceballs: The DVD" on there. Just the little things, you know.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
"Spaceballs: Ludicris Edition"
haha! What a great idea! :D
"Spaceballs: The DVD"
Yet another great idea.
MGM, I hope you are taking notes of all these ideas! This one could be a really great Special...er...Ludicris Edition!
Here are a few suggestions I have:
- Correct the "Nose Gag", as I heard from quite a few people that it was ruined on the current DVD.
- "Spaceballs: Episode One" could be the name of a behind the scenes documentary if you decide to film one.
- I'd like to see deleted scenes on this one, possibly with the option of a branching expanded version.
- Maybe also include a tribute to John Candy with interviews from the cast and crew about working with him. To my knowledge, there isn't anything like that on any of the current DVDs of movies that Candy has starred in.
- Maybe try to get an excerpt from an older interview or conduct a new brief interview with George Lucas about his thoughts on the film (I heard he actually likes it).
- And how about "Spaceballs: The Collectible Booklet" on the collectible booklet included with the DVD? :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
such as updating "Mr. VHS" to "Mr. DVD"
Actually, it was "Mr. Rental". It would be cool to reshoot the scene with DVDs instead of VHS... "Prepare to chapter skip!" "Preparing to chapter skip, sir!" "Chapter skip!" "Chapter skipping, sir!" :)
So many great lines in that film. I'd snap up a SE in a heartbeat, especially if it's anamorphic and they fix the "nose gag". You'd think the "nose gag" would have been framed better in the widescreen version.
KJP

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I never got around to picking up Spaceballs on DVD, but I'll wait and probably pick up the special edition if/when it streets.

I love some of the ideas here - ludicrous edition! LOL!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

There is a script for a sequel- I had a copy of it here in a box somewhere. Was called "Spaceballs 3: The Search For Spaceballs 2"

-V

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
There has been talk of a Special Edition of Spaceballs for a few years now. It will probably happen someday but I have seen no solid information in a long time.

Gregory

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think it would be a riot if Mel Brooks released Spaceballs-The Definitive Edition, by adding new digital effects, such as updating "Mr. VHS" to "Mr. DVD" (or better still-"Mr. D-VHS"). Maybe he could even include a face-to-face meeting between Lone Star and Pizza the Hut early in the film and a few more Mogs wandering around here and there. What a great sendup of ol' George that would be!
Just as long as they included the original version on there as well.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Dunno for sure- the script I had (which is more of a long treatment-- maybe 90-95 pages) had Meehan's name on it (Dunno if Brooks was involved, I know he doesn't like sequels too much). I think the basic idea came from "Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money" joke in the film. Although, I think by the time they got even close to producing a sequel- the Star Trek Ref was a bit outdated (heck it was pushing it when the movie came out in 1987!).

So, I dunno if it was real or not- might have to dig it out of a box and scan it, since I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the net.

-Vince

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Back when Spaceballs: The Laserdisc came out, I remember a great deal of discussion about some of the 'off center' and bad framing issues.
Two in particular: At the end, "May the Schwartz Be With You" glitter in space is off-center.
The Nose.
Both of these were addressed from someone who had been a projectionist who had cared when the film came out to the theaters. Both of those 'misframings' concerned him when they ran it the first time. He went through the two reels in question (they were still running a two projector setup,) and looked at the film-frames of the release print.
The nose was cropped in the film frame. His guess was that the audience was to imagine that it continued into the other theater next-door. Granted, of course, Spaceballs: The Overscan rears its ugly head, but it isn't ALL MGM's fault. The "Schwartz" was also slightly off-center.
Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks